What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis to broncos!!!

little_aza

Juniors
1- Hoffman
2- Kemp
3- Inglis
4- Hodges
5- Yow Yeh
6- Lockyer
7- Wallace
8- Tronc
9- Macca (Hunt)
10- Hannant
11- Te'o
12- Thaiday
13- Parker

14- Glenn
15- Gillett
16- Kenny
17- Take your pick of McGuire, Dodds, Hala, Lui, Ahern, etc...

I guess it could be better, but I can live with it! :lol:

A very fine side...certainly will be up there next year. Inglis for $400k is quite a bargain.

It's quite incredible how Brisbane manages to always have such a good side, yet still be under the cap. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig - I'm just saying the pulling power of the location and the notion of the "glamour" club makes many stay for less than market value. It's something I used to think Melbourne used to have once upon a time, but I guess I was wrong.

All the best for next year - I'll be watching our G.I's success (with much jealousy!) closely.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yeah but I think that only $400,000 contributes to the cap and the rest is third party deals + blah blah that don't contribute to the cap?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Yeah but I think that only $400,000 contributes to the cap and the rest is third party deals + blah blah that don't contribute to the cap?

After what has happened with the Storm, I very much doubt the Broncos would've gone into this without taking extra care as far as the cap is concerned.

bfoord

Juniors
After what has happened with the Storm, I very much doubt the Broncos would've gone into this without taking extra care as far as the cap is concerned.

Exactly .... the rules for endorsement that don't count under the cap are:

1. the endorsement can't be from a club sponsor
2. the endorsement can't require the player to play for a certain club
3. the player can't wear the clubs merchandise in any advert
4. the club can't guarantee the the player receives their endorsement money (although i think that has changed since they have relaxed the 3rd party rules, not sure what else has changed.)

the article does say that the Broncos haven't budged on their initial 400k + car offer. and that Gainey will be able to sell GI's brand to Brisbane companies.

The Broncos wouldn't be so stupid as to blatantly cheat the cap given the current scrutiny of clubs caps

ponies 4ever

Juniors
If this happens, get me a season ticket application form NOW, Andrew Gee you have landed us Hannant and seemingly now GI. The Broncos have well and truly cemented future success post Locky and to watch GI scorch the left sideline every other week, well bring on 2011 ! Would not be surprised to see us average 45000 + at Suncorp next season if Greg signs. Well done Broncos management.:D

cornerposter

Juniors
Corner poster who would you suggest for the other wing spot then? I think the team will be closer to AuDragons team than yours

Don't get me wrong it'll likely be Kemp, however some people seem to think he's a shoe-in to cement the position. I'm just mindful it's been 2 years since he's shown any consistent form. On that alone, the gauntlet's thrown down to all the club's quick men - get some form on the board and seize the opportunity.

applesauce

Bench
Exactly .... the rules for endorsement that don't count under the cap are:

1. the endorsement can't be from a club sponsor
2. the endorsement can't require the player to play for a certain club
3. the player can't wear the clubs merchandise in any advert
4. the club can't guarantee the the player receives their endorsement money (although i think that has changed since they have relaxed the 3rd party rules, not sure what else has changed.)

the article does say that the Broncos haven't budged on their initial 400k + car offer. and that Gainey will be able to sell GI's brand to Brisbane companies.

The Broncos wouldn't be so stupid as to blatantly cheat the cap given the current scrutiny of clubs caps

Someone in power needs to sit down in the NRL and nut something out (eg. relaxing these rules in players).

Think about it. If we want to advertise our game having players on TV in their clubs colours gives the game exposure, makes players more relatable and well known and keeps RL at the front of peoples minds even who don't follow the matches. If the game has a bigger presence on TV it gives the game a better chance of demanding more from sponsors and growing the "pie".

I don't know how you could stop teams like Brisbane from doing this and not have a bigger advantage than a team like Canberra but for the good of the game and to not bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator this policy should be looked at.

A luxury tax (limited to 500k) of some sort maybe would be a good thing to bring in when dealing with players and these sponsors. If the Broncos want Inglis they can have 100k of his contract payed by NRMA in return for ads, but the Broncos then need to pay 50c in the dollar to the NRL that money then goes back to the poorer clubs not utilising the tax.

That way the game gets exposure equaling more $, Broncos get Inglis equaling more $ and other clubs benefit from the Broncos sponsorship strength by getting something in return for nothing.

bfoord

Juniors
Someone in power needs to sit down in the NRL and nut something out (eg. relaxing these rules in players).

Think about it. If we want to advertise our game having players on TV in their clubs colours gives the game exposure, makes players more relatable and well known and keeps RL at the front of peoples minds even who don't follow the matches. If the game has a bigger presence on TV it gives the game a better chance of demanding more from sponsors and growing the "pie".

I don't know how you could stop teams like Brisbane from doing this and not have a bigger advantage than a team like Canberra but for the good of the game and to not bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator this policy should be looked at.

A luxury tax (limited to 500k) of some sort maybe would be a good thing to bring in when dealing with players and these sponsors. If the Broncos want Inglis they can have 100k of his contract payed by NRMA in return for ads, but the Broncos then need to pay 50c in the dollar to the NRL that money then goes back to the poorer clubs not utilising the tax.

That way the game gets exposure equaling more $, Broncos get Inglis equaling more $ and other clubs benefit from the Broncos sponsorship strength by getting something in return for nothing.

that is certainly worth looking at ...i read an article where Cullen said that the new 3rd party rules for next year are going to help the Broncos land Inglis.

quote from Cullen:

"Our first offer wont change, but there are new rules coming in next year in regards to third party agreements and that will help us."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rst-to-jump-ship/story-e6frep5x-1225893335248

remember the Broncos first offer is reportedly 400k

Dazzat

First Grade
that is certainly worth looking at ...i read an article where Cullen said that the new 3rd party rules for next year are going to help the Broncos land Inglis.

quote from Cullen:

"Our first offer wont change, but there are new rules coming in next year in regards to third party agreements and that will help us."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rst-to-jump-ship/story-e6frep5x-1225893335248

remember the Broncos first offer is reportedly 400k

One city teams will be in the box seat for third party agreements no doubt, and obviously could work heavily against Sydney teams.

DeBroncos

Juniors
Just saw on 9 that the Storm are meeting with the NRL auditors to see if they can make Inglis an offer to stay.

applesauce

Bench
One city teams will be in the box seat for third party agreements no doubt, and obviously could work heavily against Sydney teams.

But as a whole it is advertising RL and in turn will grow it everywhere.

The density of club location isn't a problem if you have the right player.

The superstars can command corporate $$$ in whatever location they play. Jarrod Hayne, Mark Gasnier and Greg Inglis could all fight easily for dollars in Sydney (Australia's biggest market).

It is the smaller one town teams like Canberra and Newcastle that struggle but then you look at Joey back in the day and Thurston in Townsville now. The type of player and their marketability is the obstacle not the club or location.

screeder

Juniors
I think there'll be some whinging in the future from some of the southern clubs about these new rules which allow more corporate dollars to come into it. Maybe this'll make clubs become more professional and build a better brand.

DeBroncos

Juniors
Looks like it will drag out till the end of the week.
from the SMH.

Inglis' manager remained hopeful the Storm would come to the party and give him a release after accepting Brisbane's original offer last Thursday.

"Nothing happened at all today (Monday)," said Gainey.
"We're waiting on Melbourne, the ball is in their court.

"They've still got to release him and they won't do that until they've had discussions with the NRL which they've advised me won't happen in the next 48 hours so we're probably looking more to the end of the week."

While Gainey said he was more than satisfied where things were with Brisbane he said nothing further could happen until Melbourne agreed to release Inglis.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
So the only thing left is the Storm digging their heels in. They can't retain their big 4 without detrimentally leaving their team shallow next season.

Just let him go.

Broncos93

Juniors
This is frustrating... I'm so on edge at the moment at school today I found myself repeatedly getting a laptop off any classmate I could find to check NRL.com to see if anything had happened. Bloody Melbourne. Seems like they might be stalling their time until some other players leave and they can try and keep Inglis, but it seems from what his manager said that he actually wants to come to Brisbane now, not just as a last resort.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
I expect something to be announced by the end of the week at the latest, from memory i was reading an article that said the storm had 48 hours to present schubert and the NRL with a way they could keep hold of the "Big 4" so within the next 2 days expect an announcement

johns_reds

First Grade
looks like melbourne want to top up the cap payments (200k) using their 2nd tier cap so they have thier full cap for the first team, not sure what the nrl will want to do about that.

Latest posts