What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis to fork out $113 000 to be released

The 18th Man

Juniors
Noone is saying he'll carry Souths to a GF by himself. If the others don't show up of course Souths won't get anywhere.

As for the halves, Sandow will have to deliver early in the season or he will be replaced by Reynolds, and Matt Mundine looks like our future 5/8. IMO both have the ability to be better than Sandow and Sutton (Sutton's future is at lock).

Our forward pack is the best in the comp on paper, we have 3 superstars in Luke, Burgess and Taylor. Throw in an underperforming Asotasi who has motives to fire up in 2011. You say they haven't done much the last couple of years, fair enough, but it was tough getting everybody on the park at one time in 2010. I think in 2011 they will be the dominant pack of the league. The Storm forwards have never been anything special, they were always good enough to do the job but I don't think they were ever as good as ours can be.

As for Melbourne's stars, IMO the weaklink of the big 4 is Cronk, I see him as an above average half on a normal team who was turned into a star by having an illegal amount of talent around him.

And if we play GI at fullback, which is a possibility, I think he'll have an opportunity to be better than he ever was in Melbourne. Let's not forget he's only 23, he still hasn't reached his peak.

Fair enough. Let's not put the cart before the horse. It will be an interesting week ahead for Inglis and from the looks Souths fans. Enjoy.

BranVan3000

Coach
Dead right. He is going to a club that has the test skipper on 250k and just signed a test prop. Brisbane is the land of the sponsor topped up contract - even more so since the NRL relaxed the third party rules = now very ironically sine the Storm broke the cap to keep Inglis.

Bruno could have topped the merkin's contract up by the extra $110k with a quicker phone call than he could order a home delivered pizza.

Anyone doubts the power of the Bronco finances just cast your mind back to how Tallis and Ikin got there - by sitting out contracts with finals clubs. Then recall some of the names behind the Thoroughbreds.

Whilst the Inglis snub is a nice backhander to a club that did the dirty re Tallis and Ikin, it proved to me that this overhyped twat is on the verge of oblivion, not greatness. Enenflow, you have painted the picture perfectly below:

He must, by now, have pissed so many people off in this code that he is almost SBW like. Consider:

• Turned his back on his state, obstensively because a family in Brisbane who looked out for him in his late teens convinced him o become a Maroon
  • Then turned his back on the club that houses so many Origin team mates, and his skipper
  • Turned his back on his "fiance" (maybe she turned her back on him by moving north before all this happened - her moving to Brisbane was always a farce that had a hell of a lot more to the story than we were given)
  • Turned his back on his old club - after his greedy contract negotiations went a hell of a long way to getting them in hot water (at least Anasta, Mason, Shreck and co hung around for the duration of their next contract)
  • Pissed of a third club (Titans) after ditching their offer of better money than the Broncos deal
  • No doubt losing cred with the NRL bosses who sighed with relief when Inglis signed his last Storm deal - and looked Mr Loyalty to the Cause after allowing all those Inglis to Jap/French Yawnion rumours to fester (the same ones that Hindy and Heather scotched very quickly - as Hayne did with AFL)
  • And if the Mundine rumours is true, no doubt pissing off his manager who negotiated the deal that not only almost got him de-registered and thrown in prison if the investigation had taken a certain turn, but probably negotiated the Broncos deal with Cullen and no has himself lost a heap of cred with some potential big payers for his other clients.
To this point we have assumed that Inglis would, at careers end, have a similar history as Reg Gasnier, Mal Meninga and Mick Cronin had. To me, right now, he looks more like Mark Geyer - about to spear tackle a stellar career with his arrogance. If Souths remember the last time they signed a coup from the Broncos by stealing an arrogant back with a big future - history just may repeat itself. And if it does, Parra will sign Inglis for $100k in 2016 and be laughed at.

At least in 2010, we signed our fat overrated Queenslander for only $150k.

You gimp. Burgess, Crocker and Taylor were supposed to get you to the finals, look what happened. To get to a GF, Inglis needed Slater, Cronk, Quinn an a load of grapple tackling forwards to do the hard yards for 9 months. Inglis only ever has a good game outside Thurston. even his GF performances are overated.

And I doubt he'll last the season. He hasn't had the head for decent footy since 08 apart from a few fits and starts. IMHO - and I hope I am wrong - but this bloke is a meltdown waiting to happen. He has been at the centre of controversy for almost 18 months, from his protective bashing of his missus onwards.

Face it. Racism aside, Joey was right.

Actually I reckon Parra fans would. To a man (or woman Sarah) we would have Hayne over Inglis in a heartbeat. Hayne plays his clakker out each week -everything revolves around him in attack - Inglis will NEVER achieve that. Hayne has been super loyal - twice has taken hits in the pocket to stay an Eel - once to keep Inu, once to ignore AFL. He also put his Origin jumper on the line to honour his club one - when he Liverpool Kissed the overpaid twat Slater. To me that was a class at in terms of club loyalty. And Hayne has taken measures to get his head right after the early and inevitible big-head syndrome that Inglis, SBW and Folau and arguably Thurston never dealt with.

Face it - Inglis is already earning contracts on reputation and not form.

And Souths haven't signed him yet either. Ask Bruno Cullen how secure that situation is!!!

And also ask yourself this: With such a player wandering around unsigned (which is why Searle and Crowe got interested in the first place) how come the usual suspects are so bloody quiet? Canterbury, Easts and Manly - not a peep from them. And no mumbles either from the ultumate Maroon mentor - Creeping Jesus.

As Jack Gibson used to say "There is always free cheese in a mousetrap". When was the last time a test player presented themselves to Souths so easily? I'm thinking Ernie Hammerton in the 1950's?
Your whole rant sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else

Most clubs don't have any more ability to take those legal fees under the cap than Brisbane do, Souths found a loop hole. That's as simple as the story seems to me. Souths saw the opportunity where other teams didn't

Inglis has always struck me as a very quiet spoken player for the stature around him. Nobody equates club to state representation, that's a stupid argument. I don't see how he is moving towards an implosion at all like you suggest

And lastly, Souths collapsing this year had nothing to do with Taylor and Burgess under delivering. No team would've done better with such a decimating injury list

BunniesMan

Immortal
Bruno could have topped the merkin's contract up by the extra $110k with a quicker phone call than he could order a home delivered pizza.

The Broncos have a lot of stars, there is a limit to how many third party contracts you can have, they've probably used em up on Lockyer and the others. And please don't even try to go for the "Broncos didn't really want him" angle. So the club that waited on his signature for months on end, and who only took it off the table when it was clear he was going elsewhere, knew he's a chump and not worth the money. Puh-lease.
Anyone doubts the power of the Bronco finances just cast your mind back to how Tallis and Ikin got there - by sitting out contracts with finals clubs. Then recall some of the names behind the Thoroughbreds.
Yeah look how Tallis worked out, hates the Broncos and was one of the key people in Inglis's ear to talk him out of going there. The Broncos didn't walk away from GI, GI walked away from the Broncos.

Whilst the Inglis snub is a nice backhander to a club that did the dirty re Tallis and Ikin,
It is a lovely backhander to the merkin club, owned by the merkin corporation news ltd who bent us over and screwed us a decade ago. We got our revenge now by stealing a origin and international rep from them.

To this point we have assumed that Inglis would, at careers end, have a similar history as Reg Gasnier, Mal Meninga and Mick Cronin had. To me, right now, he looks more like Mark Geyer - about to spear tackle a stellar career with his arrogance. If Souths remember the last time they signed a coup from the Broncos by stealing an arrogant back with a big future -
Inglis will end up like the first 3, he'll lift up a few grand final trophies over the next decade while in red and green. And he'll have a couple clive churchill medals to show for it.

And he's about to spear tackle a stellar career with his arrogance? what arrogance? having the hide to change his mind before signing anything. how dare he. As for arrogance personified, that's the storm, who have blatantly backstabbed GI with all this legal bill business. They've ensured he'll never pull on their jersey again.

And you mention steals from the Broncos, we got a bit of a track record, first Taylor and now GI, two guys who will spend the next 10 years representing QLD and who will be part of our core.

And I doubt he'll last the season. He hasn't had the head for decent footy since 08 apart from a few fits and starts. IMHO - and I hope I am wrong - but this bloke is a meltdown waiting to happen. He has been at the centre of controversy for almost 18 months, from his protective bashing of his missus onwards.
meltdown waiting to happen? centre of controversy for 18 months. as if. you say you hope your wrong, well thankfully you are. What 18 months, he had that brett stewart style media beatup that was the incident with his woman, that was always a non issue. Then he was racially villified by someone else, I guess that's his fault somehow. And now, he's decided to not go to a club he hasn't signed with. So much for 18 months at the centre of controversy. 1 non issue, 1 case of being a victim of a racial attack (in my eyes I thought he handled himself with dignity through the whole johns scandal) and now 1 case of him exercising his right to play at the club of his choice.

And Souths haven't signed him yet either. Ask Bruno Cullen how secure that situation is!!!
It wasn't secure for him because of us, we're not going to lose him, the Broncos only lost him because we knew what we were doing. If it wasn't for Crowe and Mundine's offer to pay his bills, he'd be a bronco by now.

And also ask yourself this: With such a player wandering around unsigned (which is why Searle and Crowe got interested in the first place) how come the usual suspects are so bloody quiet? Canterbury, Easts and Manly - not a peep from them.
Canterbury has been on a signing spree this season, they couldn't afford a packet of doritos in their salary cap. As for Easts and Manly, well it's about time they put the checkbook away. Bloody merkins have spent 40 years taking our blokes. I think you'll find it's rare for clubs to be in GC, Brisbane and Souths position this time of year, most clubs piss away their capspace months ago.

Well that took a while, I hope i did a good job of responding to your points, most of which were bs.

Last edited:

ccr

if he does go to souths, this will be the first time he will play in a team without the cronk,smiths,and slaters which made inglis look good.

Souths dont have that quality of players, i think it will be similar to justin poore where he will look average most of the year, due to going to a weaker team then the one he was at.

Like poore with the eels, i dont think inglis will help souths as the fans may think,they just dont have the players.

The same could be said with the cronk and smiths not having a quality finisher like inglis to make them look like geniuses.

Souths don't have a problem in attack or getting the ball to their attacking players, they were 2nd or 1st highest point scorer in 2010, its defence thats their problem. If inglis goes to souths, they will probably play him at fullback\center, they are good at spotting opportunities to score tries.. With their pack destroyed with injuries in 2010 I dont think its fair to say how crap the bunnies were this year as its a valid reason for their poor performance. Be interesting to see how 2011 unfolds, IMO they are one of the good guy teams in the NRL even tho some people seem jealous of crowes proactiveness in promoting his team and the NRL.

Only wish some other ceo's could help get our game more coverage rather than stick their fingers up each others arses than solve the problems that need to be addressed like player behaviour, promoting the game to more than NSW\QLD, sponsership, keeping AFL away from our junior ranks etc..

Re: the souths don't have the quality players, I think in 2011 they will go alright. Asotasi must have killed an indian because he has been cursed with injuries the last 2 seasons and in the last 5 or so games of 2010 showed his form. Issac luke is the games best RUNNING hooker, throw in your nathan merrits, burgesses and dave taylors and they start to look like a decent team on paper. If they can get sutton and sandow firing in unisen they will go good on the field, thats their biggest problem, sutton sandow and wesser 6, 7, 1.

Aparently inglis can\has played 6 also, but would be better served in the #1 jersey over at redfern.

ccr

Word going around on some other forums\twitter is the bronco boys told a few home truths about bruno cullen which made inglis not put pen to paper by the deadline.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Word going around on some other forums\twitter is the bronco boys told a few home truths about bruno cullen which made inglis not put pen to paper by the deadline.

Wouldn't surprise me. One of those bronco boys was probably Gordon Tallis. We know he was right there in GI's ear along with Mundine and Crowe. We know Tallis hates cullen and has issues with the broncos in general now. We can put 2 and 2 together.

badav

Bench
Wouldn't surprise me. One of those bronco boys was probably Gordon Tallis. We know he was right there in GI's ear along with Mundine and Crowe. We know Tallis hates cullen and has issues with the broncos in general now. We can put 2 and 2 together.

Bunniesman Ive never seen anyone as chest beatingly confident off assumptions and 3rd party information as yourself.

One might think you might actually be Greg Inglis considering you seem to think you know whats going through his head.

Tallis is not a Bronco's boy and hasn't been for years. Tallis clashed heads with Wayne Bennett, who doesn't work with the Bronco's anymore. Tallis is a moron anyway.

All said and done i don't understand why you've seen the need to write 75 posts on this topic.

simostorm

Bench
The amount that GI or the Broncos needed to pay was 30k, Storm would cover the rest of the 113k or whatever it was..

BunniesMan

Immortal
SOUTH Sydney boss Shane Richardson says no Rabbitohs players will need to be shed to make way for Greg Inglis. Inglis met Russell Crowe before the Hollywood star left for the US at the start of the week and that has resulted in him being South Sydney-bound. ''And no, we are not getting rid of players,'' Richardson said. ''No one - least of all Roy Asotasi - has to leave the club. We have not offered players to other clubs. And we won't need to. We have room in our cap, third-party options and the marquee player allowance has increased.'' The deal includes Inglis becoming an indigenous ambassador as part of a lucrative range of third-party deals. ''I won't discuss the offer but we are squeaky clean,'' Richardson said.
Link
So it looks like Souths will be gaining Inglis and losing noone. Good news.

Simostorm, from the articles I've read GI was offering to pay 60k of it but the Storm refused because they couldn't afford to pay any of it under the cap. He didn't want to pay it all because he believes the lawyers were working for the storm as much as they working for him.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Cullen is in the job for about 3 more days you spastic, as if inglis cares about him

Loudstrat

Coach
Your whole rant sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else

Most clubs don't have any more ability to take those legal fees under the cap than Brisbane do, Souths found a loop hole. That's as simple as the story seems to me. Souths saw the opportunity where other teams didn't
Third party payments. In't that how Brisbane got him in the first place? Remember the Heather whinge about salary caps when Saints signed Gasnier, and the return whinge when Inglis went to Brisbane? "THIRD PARY" they screamed in defence. Another 100k that would not affect the salary cap one iota would be easy for a club that "knocks back sponsors" apparently because they have too many.

Inglis has always struck me as a very quiet spoken player for the stature around him. Nobody equates club to state representation, that's a stupid argument. I don't see how he is moving towards an implosion at all like you suggest
Can you show me how he has been loyal to Brisbane, Melbourne, his missus, his mamanger who negotiated the deal - any differently to his disloyalty to his state?

And lastly, Souths collapsing this year had nothing to do with Taylor and Burgess under delivering. No team would've done better with such a decimating injury list
A point never in doubt - why did you bring it up? Taylor and Burgess were brilliant for Souths - who missed the semis.

The Broncos have a lot of stars, there is a limit to how many third party contracts you can have, they've probably used em up on Lockyer and the others. And please don't even try to go for the "Broncos didn't really want him" angle. So the club that waited on his signature for months on end, and who only took it off the table when it was clear he was going elsewhere, knew he's a chump and not worth the money. Puh-lease.
Not turning up to training, especially when the Broncos got the media fired up for it? Even when Hodges chatted to him (among others)? Read between the lines champ. Cullen would be an idiot to sign a bloke who won't turn up to training!

It isn't clear that he is going anywhere in particular you mong!

Yeah look how Tallis worked out, hates the Broncos and was one of the key people in Inglis's ear to talk him out of going there. The Broncos didn't walk away from GI, GI walked away from the Broncos.
GI hasn't walked anywhere yet.

BTW, Didn't Souffs have a crack at him when the Broncos did?
It is a lovely backhander to the merkin club, owned by the merkin corporation news ltd who bent us over and screwed us a decade ago. We got our revenge now by stealing a origin and international rep from them.
You better bloody well hope Searle is not in the picture!

Inglis will end up like the first 3, he'll lift up a few grand final trophies over the next decade while in red and green. And he'll have a couple clive churchill medals to show for it.
:lol::lol: I can hear your desperation for success. You have not only forgotten Chris Walker, but also Owen Craigie - both expected to do the same. I seriously hope he does. I also hope I can win lotto without buying a ticket. The chances of both are very bloody similar.

And he's about to spear tackle a stellar career with his arrogance? what arrogance? having the hide to change his mind before signing anything. how dare he. As for arrogance personified, that's the storm, who have blatantly backstabbed GI with all this legal bill business. They've ensured he'll never pull on their jersey again.
And you mention steals from the Broncos, we got a bit of a track record, first Taylor and now GI, two guys who will spend the next 10 years representing QLD and who will be part of our core.
Wrong. First was Chris Walker.

FFS deal with reality. You DID sign Chris Walker. You HAVE NOT signed Greg Inglis.
meltdown waiting to happen? centre of controversy for 18 months. as if. you say you hope your wrong, well thankfully you are. What 18 months, he had that brett stewart style media beatup that was the incident with his woman, that was always a non issue. Then he was racially villified by someone else, I guess that's his fault somehow. And now, he's decided to not go to a club he hasn't signed with. So much for 18 months at the centre of controversy. 1 non issue, 1 case of being a victim of a racial attack (in my eyes I thought he handled himself with dignity through the whole johns scandal) and now 1 case of him exercising his right to play at the club of his choice.
Beating up your missus right when you are the face of the game in a major advertising blitz? There is a stupidity fuelled sabotage right there. And Inglis was guilty. Stewart wasn't.

And funny how you ignore the salary cap scandal. You remember - his 500k contract, when suddenly 700k appears in his bank acount, a Harvey Norman B double appears in the driveway and empties itself into his loungeroom, and suddenly the QEII apears in his garage?
Then he goes to Brisbane, agrees to a deal, moves up there, gets the club to organise a big press conference and doesn't bother to turn up?

It wasn't secure for him because of us, we're not going to lose him, the Broncos only lost him because we knew what we were doing. If it wasn't for Crowe and Mundine's offer to pay his bills, he'd be a bronco by now.
And he aint bunny yet, because by my understanding - those legal bills are part of the cap - and crowe can't pay Inglis personally any more than Hartigan or Murdoch could.

Canterbury has been on a signing spree this season, they couldn't afford a packet of doritos in their salary cap. As for Easts and Manly, well it's about time they put the checkbook away. Bloody merkins have spent 40 years taking our blokes. I think you'll find it's rare for clubs to be in GC, Brisbane and Souths position this time of year, most clubs piss away their capspace months ago.

Well that took a while, I hope i did a good job of responding to your points, most of which were bs.
"About time they put the chequebook away" FFS is that all you got?

I think it;s funny that you have Inglis locked away for a decade, and are counting all those premierships already, when he hasn't even indicated interest in Souffs yet! :lol::lol:

BranVan3000

Coach
Can you show me how he has been loyal to Brisbane, Melbourne, his missus, his mamanger who negotiated the deal - any differently to his disloyalty to his state?

What loyalty does he owe to Brisbane? He had agreed to leave Melbourne, who didn't want him, for Broncos. Yet when it came down to it, he was caught in the middle of Political bullsh*t. He didn't bend over for either side and why should he?

His missus I won't bother touching. His manager? His manager has no loyalty to any club, his manager has loyalty to the almighty dollar, and this legal dispute wasn't helping the bottom line.

A point never in doubt - why did you bring it up? Taylor and Burgess were brilliant for Souths - who missed the semis.
I guess we sort of agree then I misread your point. I think people who said Souths would be Premiership contenders with Taylor and Burgess meant that they'd be the additional influence we needed on top of our solid team. Not that they could do it if they were the only two left :lol: Though Taylor missed out on a segment of the season too didn't he?

Loudstrat

Coach
What loyalty does he owe to Brisbane? He had agreed to leave Melbourne, who didn't want him, for Broncos. Yet when it came down to it, he was caught in the middle of Political bullsh*t. He didn't bend over for either side and why should he?
Thats not the point (alhough it's pretty pathetic to tell the world you are joining a new club, and then decide not to because you and your ex employer cannot sort out a f*cing legal bill - and them not tell anyone!)

His missus I won't bother touching
.Why, becaue she is a victim of domestic violence - or because you lean Wittyfan's way?
His manager? His manager has no loyalty to any club, his manager has loyalty to the almighty dollar, and this legal dispute wasn't helping the bottom line.
Suits his client to a tee then

I guess we sort of agree then I misread your point. I think people who said Souths would be Premiership contenders with Taylor and Burgess meant that they'd be the additional influence we needed on top of our solid team. Not that they could do it if they were the only two left :lol: Though Taylor missed out on a segment of the season too didn't he?

Well, it's announced - although he hasn't signed. Which means:
1) Rusty desperate to come up with a boat before dawn,
2) Inglis has only signed one contract, and ants to sign a few more yet, or
3) He'll be training with the Roosters by Tuesday morning.

Goodluck to Souths though. I hope for their sake I am wrong.

BunniesMan

Immortal
.Why, becaue she is a victim of domestic violence
This so called victim of domestic violence has said Inglis saved her from a potential suicide attempt.

Or would you rather Inglis have just watched her do whatever she was going to do while thinking "gee I better not try and help or anything, might look bad in the papers tomorrow".

Goodluck to Souths though. I hope for their sake I am wrong.

Your hope will come true. I'm picking it now. Souths - 2011 premiers. GI - 2011 Clive churchill medal winner.

Loudstrat

Coach
Ok -I'll do the humanitarian thing and head to the Gap if I see anyone wanting to commit suicide, I'll beat the sh*t out f them. Mike Tyson has a post boxing career in suicide prevention. Genius.

The 18th Man

Juniors
I will keep this link for future reference - we have some gold in here.

Frenzied Souths fans in raptures over a possible signing that will tip their closer to Premiership Glory! Nigel Vagana copped the same treatment :lol: Souths fans are easily the most entertaining despite being perrenial also rans. From John Sutton being the next great hope for NSW to Sandow being the new Allan Langer, overhyping ANY personnel change or junior is part of being a Souths fan or Administrator.

Minus the hype, the fact remains since 2002 we have heard Nostradamus wannabe's from Souths way proclaim their return to the top of the table, what has happened since they former Pride of the League returned? One finals appearance in nine seasons, two finals appearances since the 1989 season where they were Minor Premiers.

The media love affair with Rusty and "his team" reads well, though on the field it's the same old Souths albeit they were Armani suits now :lol:

I don't blame the supporters for optimism, though no one signing is going to fix all the problems on and off the field for this once proud club.

BranVan3000

Coach
I will keep this link for future reference - we have some gold in here.

Frenzied Souths fans in raptures over a possible signing that will tip their closer to Premiership Glory! Nigel Vagana copped the same treatment :lol: Souths fans are easily the most entertaining despite being perrenial also rans. From John Sutton being the next great hope for NSW to Sandow being the new Allan Langer, overhyping ANY personnel change or junior is part of being a Souths fan or Administrator.

Minus the hype, the fact remains since 2002 we have heard Nostradamus wannabe's from Souths way proclaim their return to the top of the table, what has happened since they former Pride of the League returned? One finals appearance in nine seasons, two finals appearances since the 1989 season where they were Minor Premiers.

The media love affair with Rusty and "his team" reads well, though on the field it's the same old Souths albeit they were Armani suits now :lol:

I don't blame the supporters for optimism, though no one signing is going to fix all the problems on and off the field for this once proud club.
You're right no one signing will get us there. But having a great team across the field like we do now with a good coach and hopefully a good run without injuries would see us in the final

Big Sam

First Grade

Please explain these 'off the field' problems we've been having. Is it that we were the only Sydney club to make a profit last season? Or that we have the highest membership base in NSW?

The 18th Man

Juniors
Please explain these 'off the field' problems we've been having. Is it that we were the only Sydney club to make a profit last season? Or that we have the highest membership base in NSW?

Where did I write "off the field problems"? Paranoid much?

The 18th Man said:
...though no one signing is going to fix all the problems on and off the field for this once proud club

My observation is this: for a club to have only reached the finals TWICE since 1989 suggests their are continued problems on and off the field for the South Sydney club. From the top down, things need to turn around for this once proud club to achieve some of the heights some are predicting here.

BranVan3000 said:
You're right no one signing will get us there. But having a great team across the field like we do now with a good coach and hopefully a good run without injuries would see us in the final

An example whereby the word 'great' is used loosely when describing a rugby league team. South Sydney are not a great rugby league across the park. They have done nothing to earn that tag. South Sydney are an above average rugby league team with an upside in potential. That may change, but for now, they're no where near 'great'.