What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis to fork out $113 000 to be released

BranVan3000

Coach
Where did I write "off the field problems"? Paranoid much?

My observation is this: for a club to have only reached the finals TWICE since 1989 suggests their are continued problems on and off the field for the South Sydney club. From the top down, things need to turn around for this once proud club to achieve some of the heights some are predicting here.

An example whereby the word 'great' is used loosely when describing a rugby league team. South Sydney are not a great rugby league across the park. They have done nothing to earn that tag. South Sydney are an above average rugby league team with an upside in potential. That may change, but for now, they're no where near 'great'.
....Which has happened

The 18th Man

Juniors
Well it has to some extent, that's not lost on me, though what has changed on the field by the off field changes outside the spruced up look before and after a game?

I think there is still a lot of room to improve on and off the field.

Slammin

Juniors
Please explain these 'off the field' problems we've been having. Is it that we were the only Sydney club to make a profit last season? Or that we have the highest membership base in NSW?

Players receiving centrelink payments that they are not entitled to.

applesauce

Bench
I definitely disagree. Actually it is what it is. Broncos were waiting for a contract to be signed, Inglis said he would, Souths entered the picture.

The Broncos not one to muck around gave a deadline and when it wasn't met they said "whoop de doo, lets get back to training". In business/sport anywhere no man is bigger than a team/organisation. (Except for Michael Jordan)

Cullen come out this morning and stated that Inglis told them he was not going to sign, so the Broncos pulled out. ;-) I don't want to say I told you so but...

Nightward

Juniors
By that logic why doesn't every young star get shut down after their first year or two in the league.

Um. They pretty much always do. It's called "Second-Year Syndrome."

The better players adapt and improve. But for a lot of promising rookies, the confidence hit of being targeted and nullified week in, week out prevents them from ever reaching the heights they were expected to.

This goes double for those who play in the forwards, and even more so for props. They don't have anywhere to hide and must produce constantly and consistently for 80 minutes.

Backs can at least chose when to enter the game.

I really doubted that the former Souths coach could develop Dave Taylor properly. Lang has a better chance of it due to his greater experience, but I do not think he will be as good as he could have been had he stayed at the Broncos. Certainly nowhere near as good as he could have been had both he and Bennett stayed at the Broncos.

Personally I think Taylor is wasted at prop-forward. He needs to play a second-row/centre position. The thought of a front row consisting of Kenny, Hannant, and Tronc with Dodds or Anderson on the bench, Parker, Thaiday, Taylor and Te'o in the second-row and Gillett and Hodges in the centres is pretty mind-boggling. It's also about the only way the Broncos forward pack could be improved, so watch me complain :)

Whilst the Inglis snub is a nice backhander to a club that did the dirty re Tallis and Ikin, it proved to me that this overhyped twat is on the verge of oblivion, not greatness. Enenflow, you have painted the picture perfectly below:

Did the dirty? Uh...

Those two players demonstrated their sense of honour by staying in place with the club they had signed at and wanted to play for rather than breaking their word and contracts by going elsewhere. If keeping a promise is "doing the dirty", I wish more people were coniving scumbags like that.

I mean, seriously, what the hell?

Jason Maher

Immortal
What the f**k? Tallis and Ikin both refused to play for the club they were contracted to. Very honourable. And we haven't even got to Anthony Mundine yet...

BunniesMan

Immortal
I really doubted that the former Souths coach could develop Dave Taylor properly. Lang has a better chance of it due to his greater experience, but I do not think he will be as good as he could have been had he stayed at the Broncos. Certainly nowhere near as good as he could have been had both he and Bennett stayed at the Broncos.
Well if Crowe gets his way (and his recent track record says that's more likely than not to happen) Bennett will join us 12 months from now and he can develop Dave into the superstar he can be.

Personally I think Taylor is wasted at prop-forward. He needs to play a second-row/centre position.
Agreed, his combination of size and skills does most of it's damage wider out than where props usually play.

Did the dirty? Uh...

Those two players demonstrated their sense of honour by staying in place with the club they had signed at and wanted to play for rather than breaking their word and contracts by going elsewhere. If keeping a promise is "doing the dirty", I wish more people were coniving scumbags like that.

Tallis may have been loyal to the broncs as a player but since he's retired he hasn't really. He works for souths and played a part in talking Inglis out of going up there.

StormChaser

First Grade
Dead right. He is going to a club that has the test skipper on 250k and just signed a test prop. Brisbane is the land of the sponsor topped up contract - even more so since the NRL relaxed the third party rules = now very ironically sine the Storm broke the cap to keep Inglis.

Bruno could have topped the merkin's contract up by the extra $110k with a quicker phone call than he could order a home delivered pizza.

Anyone doubts the power of the Bronco finances just cast your mind back to how Tallis and Ikin got there - by sitting out contracts with finals clubs. Then recall some of the names behind the Thoroughbreds.

Whilst the Inglis snub is a nice backhander to a club that did the dirty re Tallis and Ikin, it proved to me that this overhyped twat is on the verge of oblivion, not greatness. Enenflow, you have painted the picture perfectly below:

He must, by now, have pissed so many people off in this code that he is almost SBW like. Consider:

• Turned his back on his state, obstensively because a family in Brisbane who looked out for him in his late teens convinced him o become a Maroon
  • Then turned his back on the club that houses so many Origin team mates, and his skipper
  • Turned his back on his "fiance" (maybe she turned her back on him by moving north before all this happened - her moving to Brisbane was always a farce that had a hell of a lot more to the story than we were given)
  • Turned his back on his old club - after his greedy contract negotiations went a hell of a long way to getting them in hot water (at least Anasta, Mason, Shreck and co hung around for the duration of their next contract)
  • Pissed of a third club (Titans) after ditching their offer of better money than the Broncos deal
  • No doubt losing cred with the NRL bosses who sighed with relief when Inglis signed his last Storm deal - and looked Mr Loyalty to the Cause after allowing all those Inglis to Jap/French Yawnion rumours to fester (the same ones that Hindy and Heather scotched very quickly - as Hayne did with AFL)
  • And if the Mundine rumours is true, no doubt pissing off his manager who negotiated the deal that not only almost got him de-registered and thrown in prison if the investigation had taken a certain turn, but probably negotiated the Broncos deal with Cullen and no has himself lost a heap of cred with some potential big payers for his other clients.
To this point we have assumed that Inglis would, at careers end, have a similar history as Reg Gasnier, Mal Meninga and Mick Cronin had. To me, right now, he looks more like Mark Geyer - about to spear tackle a stellar career with his arrogance. If Souths remember the last time they signed a coup from the Broncos by stealing an arrogant back with a big future - history just may repeat itself. And if it does, Parra will sign Inglis for $100k in 2016 and be laughed at.

At least in 2010, we signed our fat overrated Queenslander for only $150k.

You gimp. Burgess, Crocker and Taylor were supposed to get you to the finals, look what happened. To get to a GF, Inglis needed Slater, Cronk, Quinn an a load of grapple tackling forwards to do the hard yards for 9 months. Inglis only ever has a good game outside Thurston. even his GF performances are overated.

And I doubt he'll last the season. He hasn't had the head for decent footy since 08 apart from a few fits and starts. IMHO - and I hope I am wrong - but this bloke is a meltdown waiting to happen. He has been at the centre of controversy for almost 18 months, from his protective bashing of his missus onwards.

Face it. Racism aside, Joey was right.

Actually I reckon Parra fans would. To a man (or woman Sarah) we would have Hayne over Inglis in a heartbeat. Hayne plays his clakker out each week -everything revolves around him in attack - Inglis will NEVER achieve that. Hayne has been super loyal - twice has taken hits in the pocket to stay an Eel - once to keep Inu, once to ignore AFL. He also put his Origin jumper on the line to honour his club one - when he Liverpool Kissed the overpaid twat Slater. To me that was a class at in terms of club loyalty. And Hayne has taken measures to get his head right after the early and inevitible big-head syndrome that Inglis, SBW and Folau and arguably Thurston never dealt with.

Face it - Inglis is already earning contracts on reputation and not form.

And Souths haven't signed him yet either. Ask Bruno Cullen how secure that situation is!!!

And also ask yourself this: With such a player wandering around unsigned (which is why Searle and Crowe got interested in the first place) how come the usual suspects are so bloody quiet? Canterbury, Easts and Manly - not a peep from them. And no mumbles either from the ultumate Maroon mentor - Creeping Jesus.

As Jack Gibson used to say "There is always free cheese in a mousetrap". When was the last time a test player presented themselves to Souths so easily? I'm thinking Ernie Hammerton in the 1950's?

Epic!
Now, somebody slap me. I agree with Loudy for the first time evah! :sarcasm::crazy:

Canard

Immortal
Did the dirty? Uh...

Thats pick and choose history re-telling to suit your arguement.

Tallis REFUSED to honour his contract with St George and was enticed to do so by Brisbane.

_Johnsy

Referee
Thats pick and choose history re-telling to suit your arguement.

Tallis REFUSED to honour his contract with St George and was enticed to do so by Brisbane.

& was paid by a group of men to do so. Top of the class canard.

Nightward

Juniors
Tallis may have been loyal to the broncs as a player but since he's retired he hasn't really. He works for souths and played a part in talking Inglis out of going up there.

I don't have all the details, but it would seem there was some kind of falling out between he and Bruno Cullen. Given the damage Cullen has done to the club, hardly surprising that Tallis would be less than impressed with him.

As far as getting Inglis to go to the Rabbitohs goes... they're his current employer. He would be remiss in his duties to them if he was quietly told to have a word with Inglis and see if he was interested.

Of course, this has all degenerated into absurd levels of farce, so...

Err...

When the proposed Super League competition was put on hold in 1995, Tallis offered to buy out the final year of his contract with St George in order to join the Broncos. The Dragons declined the offer however, and subsequent court action held him to his original contract. Having already signed a Super League contract to play with Brisbane, the fiery North Queenslander caused controversy when he was the only player who chose to sit out the 1996 season rather than play a final year with St George.

That took about three seconds to Google his Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorden_Tallis). Tallis clearly wanted out of the place and was collateral damage in the idiocy of the ARL/Super League war.

Given that the event is common knowledge, and differs wildly from your... unique... interpretation of events, I really have no idea where this is coming from.

BunniesMan

Immortal
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/pappas-gears-up-for-news-rematch-20101107-17j07.html

SOUTH SYDNEY chairman Nicholas Pappas, the lawyer who took on the might of News Ltd and won after the Rabbitohs were booted out of the NRL in 1999, is set to again challenge the media giant through the courts on behalf of star recruit Greg Inglis.
Pappas, who succeeded club patriarch George Piggins as chairman after Souths were reinstated in 2002, has joined the legal team preparing a case on Inglis's behalf in his dispute with the News-owned Melbourne Storm over legal bills.
It was that stoush that almost lost one of the NRL's best players to the game before Russell Crowe and Anthony Mundine intervened.
Sydney lawyer Keith Bagley is representing Inglis, but Pappas is reviewing the case, and the Herald understands court documents could be served on the Storm and News as early as today over disputed legal fees totalling $117,000 from Inglis's defence against charges of assaulting fiancee Sally Robinson, who will move to Sydney with him after they marry next month.
Looks like we haven't heard the end of the bills issue. Inglis plans on suing the Storm and Souths chairman Nick Pappas will be helping. It's interesting because Melbourne thought they had a solid case, but Nick Pappas knows what he's doing and he wouldn't be supporting this case if he didn't think Inglis could win.

Loudstrat

Coach

Are you the dumbest toothless window washer that ever crapped his pants on the school bus or what!!! Tallis and Ikin both welched on contracts to join Brisbane you demented dumb f*ck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epic!
Now, somebody slap me. I agree with Loudy for the first time evah! :sarcasm::crazy:
About time you got some common sense. Now get back into the kitchen :)

Evenflow

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/pappas-gears-up-for-news-rematch-20101107-17j07.html

Inglis plans on suing the Storm and Souths chairman Nick Pappas will be helping.

Would that mean if he takes the Storm to court then the costs will come out of Inglis' salary? It would have to given the dispute has nothing to do with any other parties other than he and the Storm. If it does go that far and make it to court (which i doubt) Inglis will more than likely be up against the very same lawyers that defended him for belting his missus. Good luck with that Greg....

Here's another article to sum up the character of the bloke, who the f**k does this sort of stuff? I'm actually glad he's going to the Rabbits as opposed to the Broncos because the latter would've had a much bigger chance winning the comp with him than the Rabbits will but even though i'm no fan of Brisbane not even they deserved to be f**ked over like that. He's just a very average human being who's mental capacity is obviously very fragile, it'll be interesting to see how he handles the mediocrity that is the South Sydney Rabbitohs after coming from such a winning culture? Looks like karma has already come to bite him on the arse.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...brisbane-broncos/story-e6frexnr-1225949108569

IT WAS a $1 million deal sealed with an honourable handshake - or so the Brisbane Broncos thought.

Greg Inglis left the Broncos offices last Tuesday after being convinced at a meeting with club general manager of football operations Andrew Gee that his future lay with Brisbane.The pair shook on it.

The Broncos held another meeting at their Red Hill offices on Friday morning, where Inglis reiterated his desire to sign the deal - which he agreed on several months ago - and be alongside fiancee Sally Robinson in Brisbane. The contract, he promised, would be signed on Saturday afternoon. Gee had the papers ready. But Inglis was ready to dud his new club.

He was suddenly in Sydney and spent Friday afternoon with his parents. He also talked to Anthony Mundine, who acted as a go-between for Inglis in talks with South Sydney officials. Inglis rang Gee on Saturday morning and said: "It's raining and I don't think the planes are flying." Gee told Inglis the planes did in fact fly in the wet. At 1.30pm on Saturday, the call that Brisbane feared arrived. The handshake had apparently been forgotten when Inglis told Gee: "I'm not coming back. And I'm not signing.

"A few other things are going on." He had reneged on his deal. And his handshake. Away from Bronco eyes, Mundine was pulling his mate Inglis to Redfern. Fed up with the drama, Brisbane pulled the offer. Senior Broncos players backed management's decision. Inglis will this week sign a two-year, $1 million deal with Souths. Brisbane are reluctant to criticise Inglis but believe he acted with little or no professionalism. Although disheartened at Inglis' decision, Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer attempted to stay upbeat yesterday.

"It will put some money back into the salary cap for the Broncos but at the moment the issue is there's not much in the market to buy," Lockyer said. "We'll have to wait and see what the club does from here." Brisbane have drifted significantly in betting to win next year's premiership because of Inglis' departure. The Broncos were, according to TAB Sportsbet, a $9 chance but they are now $13 outsiders.

It's raining and i don't think the planes are flying......oh dear :lol:

Canard

Immortal
Err...

When the proposed Super League competition was put on hold in 1995, Tallis offered to buy out the final year of his contract with St George in order to join the Broncos. The Dragons declined the offer however, and subsequent court action held him to his original contract. Having already signed a Super League contract to play with Brisbane, the fiery North Queenslander caused controversy when he was the only player who chose to sit out the 1996 season rather than play a final year with St George.

That took about three seconds to Google his Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorden_Tallis). Tallis clearly wanted out of the place and was collateral damage in the idiocy of the ARL/Super League war.

Given that the event is common knowledge, and differs wildly from your... unique... interpretation of events, I really have no idea where this is coming from.

That completely backs up the arguement that he reneged on his contract?

Also this "loyal" man was on the board of the NQ Cowboys for a 6 month reign of destruction where he voted AGAINST appointing the greatest coach in rugby league history due to a personal vendetta. Very proffesional decision that.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Would that mean if he takes the Storm to court then the costs will come out of Inglis' salary? It would have to given the dispute has nothing to do with any other parties other than he and the Storm. If it does go that far and make it to court (which i doubt) Inglis will more than likely be up against the very same lawyers that defended him for belting his missus. Good luck with that Greg....

Here's another article to sum up the character of the bloke, who the f**k does this sort of stuff? I'm actually glad he's going to the Rabbits as opposed to the Broncos because the latter would've had a much bigger chance winning the comp with him than the Rabbits will but even though i'm no fan of Brisbane not even they deserved to be f**ked over like that. He's just a very average human being who's mental capacity is obviously very fragile, it'll be interesting to see how he handles the mediocrity that is the South Sydney Rabbitohs after coming from such a winning culture? Looks like karma has already come to bite him on the arse.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...brisbane-broncos/story-e6frexnr-1225949108569

IT WAS a $1 million deal sealed with an honourable handshake - or so the Brisbane Broncos thought.

Greg Inglis left the Broncos offices last Tuesday after being convinced at a meeting with club general manager of football operations Andrew Gee that his future lay with Brisbane.The pair shook on it.

The Broncos held another meeting at their Red Hill offices on Friday morning, where Inglis reiterated his desire to sign the deal - which he agreed on several months ago - and be alongside fiancee Sally Robinson in Brisbane. The contract, he promised, would be signed on Saturday afternoon. Gee had the papers ready. But Inglis was ready to dud his new club.

He was suddenly in Sydney and spent Friday afternoon with his parents. He also talked to Anthony Mundine, who acted as a go-between for Inglis in talks with South Sydney officials. Inglis rang Gee on Saturday morning and said: "It's raining and I don't think the planes are flying." Gee told Inglis the planes did in fact fly in the wet. At 1.30pm on Saturday, the call that Brisbane feared arrived. The handshake had apparently been forgotten when Inglis told Gee: "I'm not coming back. And I'm not signing.

"A few other things are going on." He had reneged on his deal. And his handshake. Away from Bronco eyes, Mundine was pulling his mate Inglis to Redfern. Fed up with the drama, Brisbane pulled the offer. Senior Broncos players backed management's decision. Inglis will this week sign a two-year, $1 million deal with Souths. Brisbane are reluctant to criticise Inglis but believe he acted with little or no professionalism. Although disheartened at Inglis' decision, Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer attempted to stay upbeat yesterday.

"It will put some money back into the salary cap for the Broncos but at the moment the issue is there's not much in the market to buy," Lockyer said. "We'll have to wait and see what the club does from here." Brisbane have drifted significantly in betting to win next year's premiership because of Inglis' departure. The Broncos were, according to TAB Sportsbet, a $9 chance but they are now $13 outsiders.

It's raining and i don't think the planes are flying......oh dear :lol:
Maybe this will teach people to come into the 21st century. It's 2010, not 1910. Handshake contracts and "a mans word" mean absolutely nothing these days. Nothing matters if the contract isn't signed. At least he hasn't done a SBW. And Mundine is apparently in the business of talking people into playing for NRL clubs now, that's a change for the better.

Mr Spock!

Referee
He hasn't signed anything yet. The way Souths luck is he'll sign and break his leg in the first game. It would be great if he signed. We may not win the premiership but it does show that we can attract stars.

There seems to be a lot of bitchiness about this deal. Oh No Souths might have signed a star. It would've been much better for the game if he signed with Broncos or some other successful club. We've had to put up with shananigans from Johns and Gasnier (NRL favours to stop them going to rugby), Brisbane Thoroughbred top ups, Warriors, Storm and Bulldog salary cap cheating and the Roosters and Manly buying any half decent player from us over the last 40 years.

If Souths have to lay off a few than so be it. There are players in that team who are not pulling their weight.

Zoggy

Juniors

Looks like we haven't heard the end of the bills issue. Inglis plans on suing the Storm and Souths chairman Nick Pappas will be helping. It's interesting because Melbourne thought they had a solid case, but Nick Pappas knows what he's doing and he wouldn't be supporting this case if he didn't think Inglis could win.

Yep, you guys are in good hands Nick is my uncle and definatly knows what he's doing.