What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis to fork out $113 000 to be released

14jonesk

Juniors
bunnies man, lol jks
what i heard inglis might not even be going to broncos now is this true, cant he just sell his boat

Without_a_Spoon

Juniors
It's got nothing to do with that. They're just pissed they spent that much money paying the legal bills of a bloke they don't have anymore. They wouldn't have done it if they knew they were about to lose him. Now they want their cash back. If he stayed and say Cronk left, this wouldn't be an issue.

My thoughts as well. But this is Melbourne's claim which I can't help but feel has no substance at all..

Vic Mackey

Referee
And another thing. Wouldn't it be an awesome feel good story if the battlers, the working mans team steal an origin and international representative from the two news ltd teams. Robin Hood style.

Lol the armani suit wearing millionaire owned battlers

BunniesMan

Immortal
Lol the armani suit wearing millionaire owned battlers

:thumb A very nice summarisation of Souths. We're just a bunch of working class battlers, who happen to enjoy wearing armani suits and happen to have a lovely millionaire who buys us nice things.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It must be the off season, souffs fans are being cocky.

As always I'll just wait til the second week of march, they mysteriously dissapear around then...

BunniesMan

Immortal
It must be the off season, souffs fans are being cocky.

As always I'll just wait til the second week of march, they mysteriously dissapear around then...

we'll disappear around then because we'll be celebrating our latest blowout victory. Then we'll come back the next day to share our happiness with other league funs.

We'll keep doing that most weeks, with special highlights when we secure the minor premiership and whenever we beat the roosters. Then on grandfinal week the city will be drowning in red and green. Then we'll win the gf, the pride of the league will be back on top where we belong and all will be right with the world.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Won't lose him. He wouldn't be in talks with Russ if French rugby seemed like an attractive option to him. At this point it's just a last resort, he comes across as the kind of guy who'd prefer to play here. He can go overseas and cash in at 33, not 23.

Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part to be truthful.

Time will tell.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part to be truthful.

Time will tell.

In the last couple of hours the online news.com.au papers have gone from "50-50" him going to Souths to:
SOUTH Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe is on the verge of convincing Greg Inglis to turn his back on Brisbane and sign with the Rabbitohs.

And they've even got a quote from the Broncos CEO:

"We are aware he's in Sydney and we believe through third parties that when he was in Sydney he was considering his future and considering his position with moving to the Rabbitohs. We're frustrated to the point where we're seriously considering our options and we will probably have to move on. We can't just keep telling our fans and our sponsors and our players that he might be playing with us if that's not his intention."

It seems like they're almost at the point of walking away from the deal, they wouldn't do that if they weren't taking this news seriously.

Let's just say at first I was just being cocky about this while thinking it was a long shot, but at this point I'd be genuinely dissapointed and surprised if it doesn't happen.

And another bit:

It is believed world champion boxer Anthony Mundine, who has no official role with Souths but is a Rabbitohs junior, and assistant coach Gorden Tallis have also played key roles in attempting to recruit Inglis.

Tallis could be important in this situation. He hates the Broncos atm, and imagine if you considered going to a club and a former great of that club telling you not to. It's like Meninga telling you not to go to Canberra or Sterling telling you not to go to Parramatta.

GI is also mates with Mundine who's been pushing him in this direction.

And it can't hurt to have a moviestar wining and dining you. Sam Burgess said it was Crowe personally who swayed him when he was choosing between NRL clubs.

BunniesMan

Immortal
how are they gonna afford Inglis though?? who will they have to punt?

I'm not sure, maybe noone. We didn't make any purchases this year, and the cap has been increased by a few hundred thousand. If we were smart enough not to backend any contracts the salary cap increase could be enough to let it happen.

Kiki

First Grade
true true. well i hope it works out for the Bunnies, i would love to see them finish top 4 in 2011!

BunniesMan

Immortal
So this means Inglis is no longer Brisbane bound?
I thought for sure they had him.

Nothing's been confirmed yet but it's looking like it. And I thought they had him for sure too. Apparently they had no more than a verbal contract, nothing was signed.

mrpwnd

Bench
Nothing's been confirmed yet but it's looking like it. And I thought they had him for sure too. Apparently they had no more than a verbal contract, nothing was signed.
If you guys nab him he's gonna look weird in a green and red shirt.

thorson1987

Coach
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...sydney-rabbitohs/story-fn2mcuj6-1225948628814
Russell Crowe and Anthony Mundine hatch plan to lure Greg Inglis to South Sydney Rabbitohs

Russell Crowe and Anthony Mundine are trying to persuade NRL superstar Greg Inglis to sign a contract with the South Sydney Rabbitohs this weekend.

The Hollywood superstar and boxing champ have been secretly planning to lure Inglis to Redfern for several weeks.
The Daily Telegraph reports the deal would involve Mundine paying up to $100,000 of Inglis' outstanding legal bills at Melbourne Storm, which have prevented him from getting a release to sign with Brisbane Broncos. The NRL insists it would still have to be included in Souths' cap.
It would be a similar gesture to when Mundine personally paid Sonny Bill Williams' release fee from the Bulldogs to play rugby union in France in return for him appearing in two fights on his boxing cards.
Crowe could not be contacted because he is overseas promoting his next movie but he has been hammering CEO Shane Richardson with daily emails, phone calls and text messages trying to get the deal over the line.
Richardson is normally happy to discuss anything about the Rabbitohs but not in this case. "I have no comment to make," he says to the first three questions before we challenge him about the difficulty of fitting the Maroons and Test centre under the salary cap.

"I always leave a bit of room to manoeuvre," he says, although not sounding overly convincing.

Surely the Rabbitohs could not possibly fit a $500,000-a-year player under the cap without having to shed one of their biggest names - possibly even skipper and prop Roy Asotasi, who has been rumoured to be on the outer.

Crowe has been trying to get Inglis to Souths for a while. They had spoken on several occasions long before the Melbourne Storm salary cap crisis.
Mundine is also regularly in contact with Inglis and was advising him when Andrew Johns referred to him as a "black c ... " in a Blues bonding session.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Inglis' manager Alan Gainey was also reluctant to comment when asked about the prospect of his blue-ribbon player wearing the red and green jersey.

"I suppose you could say it's 50-50 at the moment," Gainey said.
"He admires Anthony Mundine, he's been speaking to him a lot, and Souths have seen a loophole because of the problems of getting a release from Storm."
The decision by Inglis to even consider playing for the Rabbitohs will stun rugby league followers who were of the understanding he had moved to the Broncos to be with his fiancee Sally Robinson, who was transferred from Melbourne to Brisbane by her employers mid-year.
In August, when he agreed to terms with the Broncos, Gainey told this newspaper: "He wants to buy a house in Brisbane with his girlfriend and settle down properly for the first time in his life.
"If his fiancee hadn't moved to Brisbane, he'd still be with her and playing for Melbourne next year."

Suddenly, the situation has changed since Crowe, Mundine and Mundine's own agent Khoder Nasser have become involved behind the scenes.
Nasser's involvement and his relationship with eccentric Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal has fuelled speculation that French rugby union is both a lucrative and realistic option should the Souths or Broncos deals fall over.
NRL boss David Gallop spent much of Friday trying to resolve the issue between the Broncos and the Storm over $113,000 of outstanding legal fees.

Both clubs are refusing to pay because it would be included as part of their 2011 salary caps. Storm CEO Ron Gauci says he is happy to release Inglis to Souths.

"We released him on compassionate grounds to go to Brisbane but Souths is fine by us as long as the legal bill gets paid," he said.

If this does happen then we know he is full of sh*t. Wanting to move to QLD to be with his missus. Will Souffs give her a job to????

thorson1987

Coach

Contract was signed. Just waiting on Melbourne to release him then the NRL can rubberstamp it.

But until that happens he can be released to another club. Although if he does do it the broncos wont be happy at all because they could have spent that money on about 3 or 4 young guys.

boxhead

First Grade
That's what I'm wondering, they don't have the money to fit him. The article claims they would need to get rid of one of their marquee players to sign him. IMO it won't happen.

Latest posts