What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury Updates

Joely01

Bench
Being reliant on one player isn't Haynes fault, it's the coaches.

Obviously playing ability is the major reason to sign players, but public popularity, I would say Hayne himself brings in about 1000 members for us each year. The kids flat out love the bloke, as does most parra supporters.

Hayne also attracts players, I remember Hoppa saying one of the reasons he signed was because of The chance to play with Hayne.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Hayne missing two half seasons is why we've been so shit. We were too reliant on one player.

The nuffies we signed because we had to. You have to put a team on the field, and when you're shit you have to pay more for every player - nuffies and all. At least if we'd let Hayne go we would have been able to put less nuffies around him. We would have been paying more for solid first graders but at least we would have had more of them.

The team is as strong as its weakest link, not its strongest.

How would we be able to put less nuffies around him if we let him go?

I know where you are coming from, but i can't see how it would of been the right move.

Players like Johns and Cayless each went through a few injury riddled years, but their clubs did not let them go.

What's really let us down is recruitment, retention and coaching.

T.S Quint

Coach
I think that at the time we last re-signed Hayne it was worth the risk.
He is one of the best players in the League and shouldn't be let go lightly. What are the chances of him sitting out half a season for the next two years again? I think the reward we could receive if he stays on the park probably outweighs the risk involved in re-signing him.
Maybe the next time his contract is up it might be worth looking at letting him go.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How would we be able to put less nuffies around him if we let him go?

I know where you are coming from, but i can't see how it would of been the right move.

Players like Johns and Cayless each went through a few injury riddled years, but their clubs did not let them go.

What's really let us down is recruitment, retention and coaching.

I think weak clubs cannot build around a superstar. We should have stripped it back to nothing and started with solid performers, like Manly in 2004.

The Tigers won their premiership when Benji was still a player with 'potential' (and still on a reasonable contract). After he became a superstar they were nothing but inconsistent, and now they've had to f**k him off and rebuild. It's similar with us and Hayne. Since he became a star we've been shit.

IFR33K

Coach
Since he became a star we've been shit.

Mate, the lack of vision by the club/coaches is the reason we're shit, not hayne.

Since hayne became a star, we've signed and re-signed a host of nuffies to play along side him, and some of them on ridiculous money. They include Webb, McGuire, walker, sandow, Roberts, MK, Harrison and so on.

If hayne is the reason we're not able to recruit quality players, than how on earth did we recruit well for 2014??

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I think weak clubs cannot build around a superstar. We should have stripped it back to nothing and started with solid performers, like Manly in 2004.

I would of loved for someone to have built us up like Hasler did with Manly, but for that we obviously needed a coach to be here for more than two years lol.

The Tigers won their premiership when Benji was still a player with 'potential' (and still on a reasonable contract). After he became a superstar they were nothing but inconsistent, and now they've had to f**k him off and rebuild. It's similar with us and Hayne. Since he became a star we've been shit.

Hasler did a great job with Manly. Although they weren't as big-a-names as Hayne, they did have the likes of Kennedy and Orford on good coin.

After 2005, Marshall had a few lean years with injury, but they stuck with him, then in 2010 and 2011 they finished in the top four. Yeah, he would of been eating up a lot of their cap but i think one of the main reasons he left was because his mate Sheens got the arse. They have also had a few crucial players injured and miss chunks of seasons (Lawrence, Galloway, Ellis).

To me, Marshall was just also very inconsistent in general.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Like what Gould and Cleary are doing out at Penrith. They got rid of their big paid players in Lewis, Jennings, Prtichard and Gordon and have gone out and bought alot of solid, experienced players. None really on huge coin. Some reports were that Soward is on good money but who knows, at least he plays an important position.

No wonder they have been unsuccessful for years, most of their money was invested in players outside of the spine. From all reports, Jennings was on an absolute motza out in the centers.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate, the lack of vision by the club/coaches is the reason we're shit, not hayne.

Since hayne became a star, we've signed and re-signed a host of nuffies to play along side him, and some of them on ridiculous money. They include Webb, McGuire, walker, sandow, Roberts, MK, Harrison and so on.

If hayne is the reason we're not able to recruit quality players, than how on earth did we recruit well for 2014??

We were able recruit well for 2014 because of all the cheap juniors on minimum salary that have come into our top 25. That's what has freed up the space to buy genuine first graders.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Like what Gould and Cleary are doing out at Penrith. They got rid of their big paid players in Lewis, Jennings, Prtichard and Gordon and have gone out and bought alot of solid, experienced players. None really on huge coin. Some reports were that Soward is on good money but who knows, at least he plays an important position.

No wonder they have been unsuccessful for years, most of their money was invested in players outside of the spine. From all reports, Jennings was on an absolute motza out in the centers.

Exactly. Penrith have also cut away the stars and started from scratch. It's the only way to rebuild.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
With all the young blokes we have coming through at the moment, plus Mannah, Hayne and our new recruits, we SHOULD be able to build up. We have more dead wood to offload yet too.

IFR33K

Coach
Exactly. Penrith have also cut away the stars and started from scratch. It's the only way to rebuild.

Yeah right. Let's not forget their million dollar per season bid for thurston. Let's also not forget there talks and attempt to lure hayne. It just didn't pay off on both occassions.

Bigfella

Coach
We were able recruit well for 2014 because of all the cheap juniors on minimum salary that have come into our top 25. That's what has freed up the space to buy genuine first graders.

Who all just happened to be playing Reggie's at the end of last year ...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah right. Let's not forget their million dollar per season bid for thurston. Let's also not forget there talks and attempt to lure hayne. It just didn't pay off on both occassions.

They bid for Thurston to join them this year (2014). They started rebuilding in mid 2011.

I'm not saying you don't need to sign these players, but you're f**ked if you try and start rebuilding with them. Things have to happen in the right order.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Who all just happened to be playing Reggie's at the end of last year ...

Good point. We're paying them all first grade money in the hope that they become genuine first graders soon enough (and they all have great potential).

If they were established first graders we would have had to pay them the kind of money regular Origin players are worth. Why? Because everybody knows 'Parra pays stupid money for players - look at Hayne'.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Flawless logic there.

Way to miss the irony. Should I have spelled it out for you instead?

Or let me guess, I'm the stupid one here?

My point is that we were unable to have our cake (a superstar) and eat it too (surrounding him with players that were NRL standard). The result was an ordinary squad at its best. Unfortunately the team was far from its best these past two years because Hayne was either out or carrying injury most of the time.

Sorry if you couldn't read that through my creative use of language. I'll try and remember this is a rugby league forum.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I think Hayne has been injured because he's had to go above and beyond what is needed from him to spur the team on. Look at the times he's been injured. 2011 vs Warriors- Parra were being dominated and then Warriors put a terrible grubber through which Hayne picks up and is looking to sprint 90+m to score under the posts, instead he goes down on our 30m with a suspected hamstring injury. Next one was against the Roosters in 2012, we were down by a few tries or so with a few minutes remaining, Sandow chips the ball for Hayne goes in hard chasing and unfortunately comes off second best when flying through. Finally, against the Broncos. He was the only player that looked dangerous and he made a break through pace and was tackled by Josh Hoffman which unfortunately got Hayne in an awkward position.

Hayne could easily be a passenger and I doubt that these injuries would have occurred but every time he's been injured it's done in the process of trying to lift the team and he's had to do it most times by himself. Watch this year for Hayne not to be injured due to less pressure on him to do it all himself

Latest posts