What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury Updates

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Way to miss the irony. Should I have spelled it out for you instead?

Or let me guess, I'm the stupid one here?

My point is that we were unable to have our cake (a superstar) and eat it too (surrounding him with players that were NRL standard). The result was an ordinary squad at its best. Unfortunately the team was far from its best these past two years because Hayne was either out or carrying injury most of the time.

Sorry if you couldn't read that through my creative use of language. I'll try and remember this is a rugby league forum.
So Parra can't have a superstar in their squad for a balanced line up but Melbourne can have 3 of them??? Our squad is shit not because of what Hayne is on it is shit through poor recruitment,retention and just paying absolute Nuffies massive overs.
Ryan was on 225k FFS!! If he was on that Hayne deserved to be on 2mil a season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So Parra can't have a superstar in their squad for a balanced line up but Melbourne can have 3 of them???

I actually think the Storm's 'big three' are, as individuals, overrated. Don't get me wrong, none of them are out of place in the Australian and Queensland teams; they are all outstanding players. But I believe the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, with respect to the Melbourne, Queensland and Australian spine. They have all had the support of each other throughout most of their careers.

The three of them actually have weaknesses in their games that guys like Hayne and Inglis really don't have. Smith has a limited running game - he is actually pretty slow. Cronk lacks creativity, and Slater is error prone. All three of them lack size.

Our squad is shit not because of what Hayne is on it is shit through poor recruitment,retention and just paying absolute Nuffies massive overs.
Ryan was on 225k FFS!! If he was on that Hayne deserved to be on 2mil a season.

But the only time a club gets to start from scratch is when they are first entering a competition (or re-entering, in the case of Manly and Souths). So every signing a club makes is in the context of the players already at the club. We signed Ryan because we needed an edge back rower and he was one of the few that was available. His price was what it was and we were in no position to say No Thanks. He was better than what we had, especially in defence. Anyway, $225k is average first grader's money. Ryan was worth slightly less (although he excelled in NSW Cup and had a few good games in the NRL), but we would have gotten him for peanuts in that first season.

The point is, we had to sign Ryan (or a player like him, e.g. Harrison) because we had no kids in the lower grades ready to step up. Now that Tanginoa and Edwards have emerged we've been able to let Ryan move to the UK.

hindy111

Post Whore
Thanks Stagger, much appreciated.So probably lookn at rnd 10 before he a chance of forcing his way into first grade

magpie4ever

First Grade
I actually think the Storm's 'big three' are, as individuals, overrated. Don't get me wrong, none of them are out of place in the Australian and Queensland teams; they are all outstanding players. But I believe the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, with respect to the Melbourne, Queensland and Australian spine. They have all had the support of each other throughout most of their careers.

The three of them actually have weaknesses in their games that guys like Hayne and Inglis really don't have. Smith has a limited running game - he is actually pretty slow. Cronk lacks creativity, and Slater is error prone. All three of them lack size.

But the only time a club gets to start from scratch is when they are first entering a competition (or re-entering, in the case of Manly and Souths). So every signing a club makes is in the context of the players already at the club. We signed Ryan because we needed an edge back rower and he was one of the few that was available. His price was what it was and we were in no position to say No Thanks. He was better than what we had, especially in defence. Anyway, $225k is average first grader's money. Ryan was worth slightly less (although he excelled in NSW Cup and had a few good games in the NRL), but we would have gotten him for peanuts in that first season.

The point is, we had to sign Ryan (or a player like him, e.g. Harrison) because we had no kids in the lower grades ready to step up. Now that Tanginoa and Edwards have emerged we've been able to let Ryan move to the UK.

You just proved to me, you have no f**kin idea or are an absolute nutter.

Smith and Slater are future legends of the game.

Smith - best modern no:9, I have seen.

Slater - best fullback ever, I have seen.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You just proved to me, you have no f**kin idea or are an absolute nutter.

Smith and Slater are future legends of the game.

Smith - best modern no:9, I have seen.

Slater - best fullback ever, I have seen.

And what a coincidence they play in all the same teams, hey?

hindy111

Post Whore
I don't think people realise Pou the advantage of playing in a good team.Remember David Vaeleki in 2001? LOL, Jason Moodie,Ian Hindmarsh. All where average players at best yet looked liked stars!
Was Horo playing any better or worse at Parra than Manly? Id say about the same.Its funny when you win how everyone looks good.All 17 play well.

Smith and slater are two of the best thou and cronk so combined they are always playing in a good team.For half there careers they did play in a team that was way over the salary cap as well

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
People talk about how Storm players suck when they go to other clubs. But how many of them go to strong clubs?

They look good playing for Melbourne (just like blokes who play for Manly) but when they leave they show their true ability. Some teams are better than the sum of their parts, and that includes the Big Three at Melbourne. Where they deserve the most credit is probably their leadership, rather than their playing ability. But even then, they have each other to reinforce it.

I'm not saying they're average players; all three are very good. But they all look a lot better because they always get such good support.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well Sika Manu looks good at penrith.Yeah i find itll say what a great coach.Well he is a great coach but he doesn't change the player that much.

I think this is why its important too watch the player when the team hasa bad game and see how he goes.Is the reason why i like phil goulds recruiting at penrith.I d think Idris was more to have a cult figure for the club

eel01s

Bench
Driving home yesterday I heard the tail end of a parra fan's call on Talkin' Sport. He said something to the effect that it was a shame Loko has just re-injured his knee.

Hopefully he was talking about the current injury, surely Jacob hasn't done it again whilst in recovery?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Did ZDC play? Just wondering if he's been named in all three grades. He might even have played for both Wenty teams today.

Did Alvaro, Bugden, Cummins, Gorman or Evans play?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Did ZDC play? Just wondering if he's been named in all three grades. He might even have played for both Wenty teams today.

Did Alvaro, Bugden, Cummins, Gorman or Evans play?

ZDC was there watching, does that count?

Alvaro had a brilliant game, really came into his own late in the game, follows the ball carrier around, his own carries were very strong, really improving his game..

Bugs was ok from what saw of him, came off the bench..

Cummins was ordinary I thought... Didn't inject himself enough

Gorman steered the Wenty RM side very well and shows a sort of toughness that's been missing in a lot of players his position..

Evans was shite, he looks very fragile out there and doesn't seem to have much vision..

Lassalo was far and away the best player on the field...

Latest posts