What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury Updates

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
ZDC was there watching, does that count?

Alvaro had a brilliant game, really came into his own late in the game, follows the ball carrier around, his own carries were very strong, really improving his game..

Bugs was ok from what saw of him, came off the bench..

Cummins was ordinary I thought... Didn't inject himself enough

Gorman steered the Wenty RM side very well and shows a sort of toughness that's been missing in a lot of players his position..

Evans was shite, he looks very fragile out there and doesn't seem to have much vision..

Lassalo was far and away the best player on the field...

Thanks mate.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I shouldn't mention buddy riddell either, colonel would be doing wee wee's all over the keyboard if I did lol

lingard

Coach
I think weak clubs cannot build around a superstar. We should have stripped it back to nothing and started with solid performers, like Manly in 2004.

The Tigers won their premiership when Benji was still a player with 'potential' (and still on a reasonable contract). After he became a superstar they were nothing but inconsistent, and now they've had to f**k him off and rebuild. It's similar with us and Hayne. Since he became a star we've been shit.

The Tigers had Robbie Farrah, Gareth Ellis, Woods, Grant, Heighington, and a good set of backs as well as Marshall. The reasons they went badly had little to do with Marshall's salary. Had more to do with Marshall's form, a hell of a lot of boardroom conflict and a coach who had gone stale and stayed there a few years too long.
Other teams have superstars (Souths have Inglis, Burgess, Luke; Melbourne have Smith, Slater, Cronk; Easts have Pearce, Maloney, Williams; etc.) Up until recently we had Hayne and ..........? You can't tell me he'd be on much (if any) more than Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis or Benji Marshall? You're just trying to be controversial again.

lingard

Coach
We were able recruit well for 2014 because of all the cheap juniors on minimum salary that have come into our top 25. That's what has freed up the space to buy genuine first graders.

Which is exactly what should have been happening all along. Nothing to do with Hayne.

lingard

Coach
People talk about how Storm players suck when they go to other clubs. But how many of them go to strong clubs?

They look good playing for Melbourne (just like blokes who play for Manly) but when they leave they show their true ability. Some teams are better than the sum of their parts, and that includes the Big Three at Melbourne. Where they deserve the most credit is probably their leadership, rather than their playing ability. But even then, they have each other to reinforce it.

I'm not saying they're average players; all three are very good. But they all look a lot better because they always get such good support.

No. We aren't talking about their ability. We're talking about their salaries. Do you really believe that Jarryd Hayne would be on substantially more money than Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk?

Maroubra Eel

Coach
No. We aren't talking about their ability. We're talking about their salaries. Do you really believe that Jarryd Hayne would be on substantially more money than Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk?

He shouldn't be on as much. They are rep spine players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Tigers had Robbie Farrah, Gareth Ellis, Woods, Grant, Heighington, and a good set of backs as well as Marshall. The reasons they went badly had little to do with Marshall's salary. Had more to do with Marshall's form, a hell of a lot of boardroom conflict and a coach who had gone stale and stayed there a few years too long.
Other teams have superstars (Souths have Inglis, Burgess, Luke; Melbourne have Smith, Slater, Cronk; Easts have Pearce, Maloney, Williams; etc.) Up until recently we had Hayne and ..........? You can't tell me he'd be on much (if any) more than Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis or Benji Marshall? You're just trying to be controversial again.

I don't 'try to be controversial'. If I did I would talk about how much better soccer is than rugby league.

I just think we have had (a player like) Jarryd Hayne on our roster at a time when it hurt us more than it helped. The other stars you mentioned weren't at clubs that needed rebuilding - they were all signed after the rebuilding work was done (or emerged through the rebuilding process).

lingard

Coach
I don't 'try to be controversial'. If I did I would talk about how much better soccer is than rugby league.

I just think we have had (a player like) Jarryd Hayne on our roster at a time when it hurt us more than it helped. The other stars you mentioned weren't at clubs that needed rebuilding - they were all signed after the rebuilding work was done (or emerged through the rebuilding process).

And my point is that Hayne's salary was not stopping Parramatta from rebuilding the club. We made some very poor (and unlucky) choices, however - Justin Poore, Shackleton, Sandow, Mortimer, Finch, Stephen Kearney, Ricky Stuart - all players and coaches that turned out disappointments for various reasons. Some might also argue that letting go players like Mateo, Inu, Horo, were not wise decisions. (Although I wouldn't, necessarily.)
Penrith started from scratch, but they had several origin players who were taking up a large portion of their cap. We only have one.

hindy111

Post Whore
Here's an injury update- I just tried doing a rolly polly off the lounge.Anyhows necks F$$ked Out for 10-12, just as centrelink had a job lined up for me. Oh Dam:( Ah well like to doc says-Rest is importnat.....See use mid season !

Latest posts