What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inu must be in the side

strider

Post Whore
i wonder if reddy could be given another go at 5/8 :-k .... DA seemed to think he had 5/8 ability for a period last year

1 hayne
2 burt
3 INU (in capitals)
4 tahu
5 grothe
6 reddy
7 mortimer
8 poore
9 m keating
10 fui
11 hindy
12 ben
13 feleti

14 k keating
15 caylo
16 shack
17 mannah

Stagger eel

Staff member
I've thought long and hard with this one and it makes it difficult when you don't have trial form infront of you but I can't quite bring myself to include INU in at this stage as he's been the less consistant performer out of the 6, I think the kid needs to be more confrontational and find an extra yard of pace than last year..

this opinion could easily change by round 1 as we'll have 3 trials and all the boys will play in atleast 2 of them.

Freak2

Juniors
Imagine if Benny Smith didn't move to the back row!!!!

I hope Ando throws Haynzey into the 6 for a trial or 2.

1. It will confuse the daylights out of the opposition
2. It will better prepare him for the season ahead (as per last year)
3. It just gives us another option

I'm not saying 5/8 is his best position but I genuinly believe that him starting the year at 6 in 2009 put him in great stead for the rest of the season at 1, and considering our log jam of outside backs I would be tempted to start him there once again in 2010.

It wouldn't be in a conventional 5/8 role but more of a give the ball to Haynzey and hang off him. He has the best kicking game at the club and without a doubt the best running game so for me he still is a 5/8, just with a 1 on his back and defends at last line.

Imagine if Benny Smith didn't move to the back row!!!!

I hope Ando throws Haynzey into the 6 for a trial or 2.

1. It will confuse the daylights out of the opposition
2. It will better prepare him for the season ahead (as per last year)
3. It just gives us another option

I'm not saying 5/8 is his best position but I genuinly believe that him starting the year at 6 in 2009 put him in great stead for the rest of the season at 1, and considering our log jam of outside backs I would be tempted to start him there once again in 2010.

It wouldn't be in a conventional 5/8 role but more of a give the ball to Haynzey and hang off him. He has the best kicking game at the club and without a doubt the best running game so for me he still is a 5/8, just with a 1 on his back and defends at last line.

In the lockyer mould maybe??

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think round 1. I would start with Inu or Tahu on the bench and bring on to cause damage around the ruck.

But this would mean one less forward or as natheel said don't have a bench hooker.

Freak2

Juniors
We are probably worrying about nothing. Someone is bound to get injured in the trials...

In the event that no-one does though I think the club should stick to the GF side with perhaps Tahu on the bench.

This is of course choosing to not play Haynzey at 6.....

ROGUE

Juniors
I firmly believe that Reddy is the odd man out..... his versatility probably counts against him a little and the way that Grothe and Burt in particular finished the season I can't see either of them being moved from the wing. INU! will be highly motivated to play alongside Tahu in the centres IMO.

It is a good position to be in.

I totally agree with your statement, yet centres no longer play alongside each other

ROGUE

Juniors
Hayne doesn't have the 5/8 vison of a Lockyear not this year or ever. Totally different type of player.

Looking back at some of the magnificent tries jarryd set up once we started that golden run, there were some great cut out balls he had thrown from a conventional 5/8 position amongst others he had set up.When he had that confidence he looked as though he was playing fullback,backrow,wing,5/8, centre and it's a great position da is currently in

Delboy

First Grade
Full back gives Jared the opportunity to come into the line when he reads it, at 5/8 he is constantly tackling and getting belted at the line.

A no brainer for a player that played all his juniors at 1, and was a stand out there, playing at 6 cramps that sort of player too much, think again.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Jarryds defence at five eight was never the problem. The problem was the decision making, he didnt know what decisions to make and he couldnt handle having to get the ball that often. He also had terrible timing at five eight, he so often threw a hospital pass. He even did it a few times at fullback. Moving him to five eight will take aslong or longer for him to adjust then Darius Boyd to fullback.

And as for Joel Reddy to the back row? He would be our most ineffective backrower since Wagon excpet less reliable in defence. We already have one center playing in the back row, it would be pushing it.

eel4life

Juniors
I think we have some depth now for a long hard and good crack at the title this year ...

1. Hayne
2. Grothe
3. Reddy
4. Tahu
5. Inu

Speed, size, skill, plenty of points and defense might be our best option, inu played his best footy outside of Tahu and with him back im expecting a massive season this year

@@@

for now probably our best option ...

6. Mortimer
7. Robson

@@@

what do you do here ?

finally we have genuine spots up for grabs, and this will make the players play for their spots ...

8. Cayless
9. M Keating
10. Poore / MoiMoi
11. Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith / Shack
13. Mateo

14. K Keating
15. MoiMoi / Poore
16. Mannah
17. Shackleton / Ben Smith

18. Burt

tough decisions need to be made and if we start well this year from round 20 on we will be a team that no one will want to play ...

carson

Juniors
Based on last years end of season form, picking Inu over Burt or Reddy would be a classic example of picking style over substance.

Reddy's combination with grothe and Burt's ability to link at the back with Hayne were our 2 biggest strike weapons, why would you break them up?

However with Grothe's dodgy back, Tahu's dodgy hamstring and Hayne's rep duties, whoever does miss out will have ample opportunity to force their way back into the team.

slammingsam

Juniors
Maybe there will be enough game breakers that you just go for a solid errorless centre in Reddy.

At times towards the end of the season though Inu looked to have his mojo back.
He can certainly jink off both feet very well and stand up his man.

Dean

Juniors
I'd like to see Burt trialled as an impact player coming of the bench. Of all our backs he is the most versatile and could slot into a number of positions. I personally think he is one of the smartest wingers going around, and at times seems wasted out on the flanks.

Dean

lingard

Coach
Just on Reddy..... In the Juniors I really never rated him but I have come to admire him more and more in the last year. In fact the type of player he is brings balance to the force... I mean backline. You need his type of player in any team. Someone that can score Ugly trys etc etc etc. You can't have a backline with sleek, skilled in every posy. Someones got to do the dirty stuff and I believe Reddy fits this description easily.

I reckon Reddy is an absolute essential in the backline. In fact I`ll go out on a limb and say that if Reddy was not injured and off the field for those ten minutes or so in the Grand Final (when Inglis scored his try) we would have another premiership to our name. Don`t forget he`s a good winger too. The obvious one to miss out (at least for the first few games) is the new boy - Timana Tahu.
I rate our current backline in this order:
1. Hayne
2. Burt/ Reddy (can`t split them)
4. Grothe
5. Inu
As talented as Inu is, and with all his 'potential', I still think he`s behind the eight ball at the moment and has a fair bit to prove. Next to go would be Grothe, etc.

its impossible to say who should be in and out without even trial form to go on hopefully inu and the other underperformers will all lift a gear trying to force their way into first grade

Latest posts