What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inu must be in the side

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
More like hayne feeds robson the ball LOOL! :lol:

He has no clue watsoever on which player needs the ball at what time, he passes it 1cm when fui or other forwards is about to receive it instead of passing earlier so he has more hold of the ball. These are just some(theres more) minor problems with him as a halfback which lead to a poor halfback.

And your the expert on halfbacks are you? You know all of Jeff Robsons, Kris Keatings and Daniel Mortimers strengths and weaknesses after seeing so few of their games.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I just think Robson is not our prefer halfback.

Yeah I get that, but you laugh and say he has no idea who to pass to. I dont remember him throwing to to the opposition many times though, at least he got that right unlike another one of our former halfbacks whom people seem to be mourning over.

ouchie

Juniors
Yeah I get that, but you laugh and say he has no idea who to pass to. I dont remember him throwing to to the opposition many times though, at least he got that right unlike another one of our former halfbacks whom people seem to be mourning over.

smith has good passing and kicking game.

parra pete

Referee
Smith couldnt tackle and often went missing. Whats your point?

You are very generous to Tim Smith in saying he 'often went missing'. Very generous.
The bigger the game, the more invisible he became. Especially in defence, and when some heavy work was required. But that's just my opinion, and apparently, according to his fan Club, my views on his ability are clouded by some 'intense hatred' of have of a bloke I don't even know....

Last edited:

parra pete

Referee
Halfbacks are made to create in attack and are not known for their defensive plays.

Go tell that to Keith Holman, Tommy Raudonikis, Greg Oliphant, Billy Smith, Barry Muir, Peter Sterling, Johnathon Thurston, Ricky Stuart, Scott Prince, Cooper Cronk, Jeff Robson, Terry Lamb, Steve Mortimer........etc....

Better to stop two tries than to create one.....

parra pete

Referee
Halfbacks are made to create in attack and are not known for their defensive plays and also what do you mean by ' often went missing' ?

When the going was tough, he was MIA...and that is not Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area...
His tackle count and running metres were abysmal. A target in defence.
From memory, a total addition of his running metres in his last season would not have enabled him to get from one goal line to the other.
He is handy(or was) ten metres out from the line with the ball in hand. But for the rest of the field was hardly sighted. But mate, you're entitled to your opinion. Don't let me influence you one way or another.
This is just a forum for opinions, and welcome aboard. I will look forward to reading your opinions - no matter how ridiculous they may be - throughout the season...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Halfbacks are made to create in attack and are not known for their defensive plays and also what do you mean by ' often went missing' ?

Listen, I like Tim Smith as a half, at least what he could be as a halfback. But he had his chance here at the Eels like so many before. While with Parramatta, Tim Smiths positives did not out weigh his negatives so much that people are still, almost 2 years later, after a Grand Final appearence, after he has signed for another club, still calling for him to come back.

Why cant people jump on the Jeff Robson bandwagon, the guy has been 2nd string for his entire career, and as soon as a coach shows consistant faith in him, he delivers solid performance after solid performance.

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't think Tim went missing in defense. He did try but he just couldn't tackle or get palmed away.

I wouldn't call that missing.

Attack wise, I too don't think he went missing. Again, he tried to run but wasn't successful.

He just tried too hard and tried to take it all on his own shoulders. It is very tough to do that especially with so little experience. Lockyer, Thurston, Johns has so much more experience.

Lastly, when the team is not turning up. The halves will struggle. It also happenned at the end of Sterlo's career and at the end of Kenny's career. They tried to carry the team and it failed.

parra pete

Referee
I tried to make the Country team too, but I wasn't good enough. In cricket, I would have cracked plenty of centuries, but I kept getting out. I could have taken plenty of wickets too, but the batsman kept hitting me over the fence..My tennis shots all went into the net, or out, and I couldn't serve .That buggared me as a potential Wimbledon Champion.
Just do the best you can. If you ain't up to it..you ain't up to it. If you are up to it, special talent will take you places.
But there is more to team sport than just one small piece of talent. There is the professionalism and dedication to go with it. If you are not prepared to be disciplined and put in the hard yards, the likely finishing place is the scrap heap.
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
Those who travel along it are the talented people who didn't know what ability they had been given, and chose to ignore it - or not work at it.
Jeff Robson might not have been blessed with the same ability as many others, but by gee, he works at what he's got, and I prefer that type of player over a 'show pony' - or a 'one trick horse'.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
Go tell that to Keith Holman, Tommy Raudonikis, Greg Oliphant, Billy Smith, Barry Muir, Peter Sterling, Johnathon Thurston, Ricky Stuart, Scott Prince, Cooper Cronk, Jeff Robson, Terry Lamb, Steve Mortimer........etc....

Better to stop two tries than to create one.....
Holman, Raudonikis, Oliphant, Smith, Muir - whole different generation - more defensive ability, less attacking
Lamb - wasn't a halfback
Sterlo, Stuart, Mortimer - weren't great defensively, good tacklers for their sizes - same goes for Robson
Thurston, Prince, Cronk - are you suggesting they are good defensively? They are each below average even for halfbacks

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/inu-must-fight-to-keep-spot/story-e6frfgbo-1225817663039

Inu must fight to keep spot

* By James Phelps
* January 09, 2010 11:17PM

FORMER New Zealand Test centre Krisnan Inu will have two matches to keep his Parramatta jersey, with the man gunning for his spot suspended until the club's final pre-season hit-out.

Timana Tahu is expected to take Inu's place in the star-studded Eels backline after being brought back to the club from rugby union.

"Tahu won't be playing the first two trials (against St George Illawarra and Penrith) because he is suspended," Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson said. "He won't be available until we play the Roosters."

The Warriors are keen to sign Inu, but Anderson refused to say if the club was prepared to grant the goalkicking centre a release. "I don't know anything about that," Anderson said. "You would have to ask the Warriors. He is training here at the moment and part of the club. I haven't heard anything about this and I don't know where it has come from."

The Warriors confirmed their interest in Inu, predicting the flyer would be relegated to the NSW Cup with Joel Reddy, Jarryd Hayne, Eric Grothe, Luke Burt, Kris Keating, Daniel Mortimer and Tahu expected to make up the Eels backline.

"We are interested in an outside back of his quality," Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said. "But he needs to be available."

Anderson is facing a number of hard selection decisions, with his side bolstered by the addition of Tahu, Justin Poore and Shane Shackleton.

"We have a strong roster," Anderson said. "And that is a good thing. But I don't think we are deeper than anyone else. We are going to rely on everyone and will even need an unknown to step up at some point like Tim Mannah did last year.

"We are going to have to use all our players because you are not going to keep them all healthy."

ouchie

Juniors
When the going was tough, he was MIA...and that is not Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area...
His tackle count and running metres were abysmal. A target in defence.
From memory, a total addition of his running metres in his last season would not have enabled him to get from one goal line to the other.
He is handy(or was) ten metres out from the line with the ball in hand. But for the rest of the field was hardly sighted. But mate, you're entitled to your opinion. Don't let me influence you one way or another.
This is just a forum for opinions, and welcome aboard. I will look forward to reading your opinions - no matter how ridiculous they may be - throughout the season...

Umm since when did halfbacks become wingers or forwards in metre gains?

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Its called adding variety in your game, get the opposition in 2 (or more) minds. If a halfback never runs, he will only ever be marked by one player. Which also contributes to Tim Smiths habbit of throwing hospital passes, he draw really draw and pass, the cut out passes worked like they did because the players he cut out, would be the ones the defence were drawn to.

It was simple to control Tim Smiths cut out pass, the outside defender didnt need to come in.

And seeing as a halfback gets the ball more then just about anyone else in the team, he should have had FAR more meters then he did.

parra pete

Referee

About the same time as forwards became wide running 'fancy dans'. Tim Smith played as a winger for 95% of his game time in defence...because he couldn't be trusted to block a hole just wide of the ruck, either through lack of technique or fear...

parra pete

Referee
Holman, Raudonikis, Oliphant, Smith, Muir - whole different generation - more defensive ability, less attacking
Lamb - wasn't a halfback
Sterlo, Stuart, Mortimer - weren't great defensively, good tacklers for their sizes - same goes for Robson
Thurston, Prince, Cronk - are you suggesting they are good defensively? They are each below average even for halfbacks

Terry Lamb started out as a half back with Wests before switching to pivot at Bulldogs.
I am not suggesting Thurston, Prince and Cronk are good defensively. I am saying THEY are good, brilliant as a matter of fact compared to Smith who is hidden on the wing in defence.
Mortimer was a brilliant cover defender, and Sterlo and Ricky played in the front line defensively. Robson take a lot of pressure off Nathan Hindmarsh. He'll do me. Continually racks up his 30 tackles.
Did you EVER see Holman, Raudonikis, Olli, Smith and Muir play? If so you must have a fading memory.....

strider

Post Whore
About the same time as forwards became wide running 'fancy dans'. Tim Smith played as a winger for 95% of his game time in defence...because he couldn't be trusted to block a hole just wide of the ruck, either through lack of technique or fear...
tim smith never played on the wing in defense - he was always 1 or 2 players in, just like every other halfback ..... and no, i am not defending tim - he was/is a poor defender - his biggest downfall as a footballer imo is his timidness (I won't personally judge him for that cos I don't know how I'd go out there - but it made him a poor defender)