What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irvine speaks

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Link

Cronulla chair denies club is imploding

May 28, 2010 - 6:49PM

Cronulla chairman Damien Irvine denies the club is on the verge of imploding despite chief executive Richard Fisk and coach Ricky Stuart quitting the NRL strugglers within days of each other.

Hot on the heels of Stuart announcing he would not see out the final year of his contract and walk out on the club at the end of the current season, Fisk on Friday said he too was on his way when his contract expired next month.

It's the latest in a string off off-field disasters for the club stretching over the last two years, while the performances on the field haven't been much better with the Sharks winning just eight of their last 34 games.

Fisk arrived with the Sharks in crisis, following the controversial resignation of Tony Zappia, and he leaves it in much the same way with the club now on the lookout for its third boss in the space of 12 months.

Irvine though denied the club was falling apart at the seams, claiming Fisk had simply decided to move on following the conclusion of his current contract on June 21.

"On the contrary - there's been a great change in the club in the last 12 months," Irvine told AAP.

"The outlook is vastly different and it's a lot better, and that's because of Richard and Ricky being here, no question.

"We couldn't be in better position going forward into 2011, and that's no disrespect to Richard or Ricky, they've contributed to that.

"Nothing's falling apart."

Fisk and Stuart have a strong relationship from their time together at the Sydney Roosters, and it was that connection that helped draw Fisk to the club when it was buried in a myriad of scandals.

Zappia quit after allegations of improper conduct by a female staff member were levied at him, while the club was also dealing with a backlash from sponsors as a result of the fallout from a Four Corners reports into the group sex scandal from the club's 2002 pre-season tour of New Zealand.

Fisk and a new board headed by Irvine helped rescue the club from near extinction, and while financial issue continues to dog the club, they appeared to be in headed for calmer waters despite continuing struggles on the field.

That was until the last five days - with the club now staring down the barrel of a rookie coach in Shane Flanagan taking over a club now on the lookout for a new chief executive.

Irvine said the search for a replacement for Fisk had not yet begun, and he refused to rule out the possibility of the post being filled from within the club.

Special K

Coach
Remember when a manly fan stepped in and saved the club? That was a pretty quick turn around and makes us look like muppets at the moment. Fml

Rexxy

Coach
Well some people here owe Frenzy an apology. He alone rallied against the t shirt flogger

enjoy the ride on the sadbus

frenzy you deserve much better

Rexxy

Coach
Well some people here owe Frenzy an apology. He alone rallied against the t shirt flogger

Qld Shark

Juniors

Here Rexxy here boy, sit Rexxy sit Good boy
Any more amazing tricks?

Surely

Post Whore
Indeed we do if it pans out the way it's looking.

If it does it just goes to show the coaches have never really been the issue.

carinashark

First Grade
I dont see any problems , sounds to me like we are on the right track. i never liked Fisk anyway. Get someone with more tallent and staying power. like us!

Stuff

Juniors
Irvine said the search for a replacement for Fisk had not yet begun, and he refused to rule out the possibility of the post being filled from within the club.

I don't understand why this part is highlighted and underlined?

samshark

Juniors

Apology for what?
Do you know the inner workings of the club? Do you know the issues that Irvine and Fisk disagreed on? Can you say that Fisk is right in regard to these issues? I dont know these answers and until I do I wouldnt be pointing the finger at Irvine. Time will tell. But fugg, I think there's a massive panic and over reaction to this news.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Stuff....

There is some speculation that Irvine may be eyeing off the spot for himself, personally I don't think this is true, I agree though it may be someone close in the ranks.

Whoever it is just do a f'ken good...... no great..... no exceptional job and get my team back so we can be proud about the place again.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Lets have a "Fisk achievement list since being at the club"

I'll start it:.........................................can't think of anything. Anyone?

samshark

Juniors
I don't understand why this part is highlighted and underlined?

Because that was a major critcism of the Barry Pierce days, that there was a lack of transparency, that he had jobs for the boys and promoted within i.e his son Greg to the CEO role instead of advertising. Irvine has gone on record criticising this.

Its bullsh*t journo speak anyway. Irvine was probably asked something like, 'Are you looking at anyone within the club to fill the role' and replied something like, 'We are looking at all options before making a decision'. Hence the journo writes what he did.

Irvine would be crazy to promote from within after his criticisms of the previous board.

Wozza

Juniors
Lets have a "Fisk achievement list since being at the club"

I'll start it:.........................................can't think of anything. Anyone?
The same could be said for Irvine. In the last week we have had a coach and a CEO quite and both of them saying they can't work with Irvine. When is this twit going to be reeled in.

Stuff

Juniors
Stuff....

There is some speculation that Irvine may be eyeing off the spot for himself, personally I don't think this is true, I agree though it may be someone close in the ranks.

Whoever it is just do a f'ken good...... no great..... no exceptional job and get my team back so we can be proud about the place again.

Thanks coolum. Fair enough. First I've heard of it.
I assumed the question would have been asked because of Flanagan getting appointed from within and the claims that it was a cost cutting measure. I also thought it was illegal to rule out employing from within? Doesn't leave much option when asked but to 'refuse to rule out employing from within' does it?