What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Carney ready for Origin?

Two best form players for nsw in #6 atm are Anasta and Carney, in saying that though, I think his style of play would be well suited to a Graham Murray game plan, but, time will tell who gets picked.

perverse

Referee
Baron Vo Mandor said:
Gowers easily the best option ATM, who to put next to him lol.

I think its going to be a lean 2-3 for NSW unfortunately :(
it'll be a bad year this year.. but next year i can see the carneys.. mullens and other youngins start to shine and bring NSW back into favour.

there will be a big changing of the guard.

Mr Saab

Referee
Baron Vo Mandor said:
Gowers easily the best option ATM, who to put next to him lol.
I think its going to be a lean 2-3 for NSW unfortunately :(

Doesnt say much for NSW then.
If he is the halfback i will take QLD 3-0 and that should pay $1.28

skeepe

Immortal
macavity said:
skeepe your hatred of the Knights shines bright

and renders your opinion a joke

I don't hate the Knights.

OK that's a lie, but it doesn't colour my opinion of their players. I'm a big fan of Buderus and think he's the premier hooker in the game, but you can't deny that ON FORM Farah is better. I would have no problems with Buderus lining up in the 9 for the Blues.

You also can't deny that Mullen has shown nothing like representative level form so far in first grade. That's fine though, he's just starting out and I have no doubts he'll be a superb player in the future.

As for Kurt Gidley, yes he has been playing well but are you really saying he's SOO level? Come on, surely even someone with red and blue eyes can see that he's just not an Origin player? He's more in the Brett Finch mould, if he makes it he probably won't let you down but he just doesn't have the spark that you need to make it at that level and is far too prone to going missing.

For what it's worth, Steve Simpson should be the first second-rower picked... he's been tremendous this year.

macavity

Referee
Kurt Gidley has been THE form fullback of the year IMO - and yes, ive watched every game (that sounds sad....)

I think one of the major benefits of having gids in the team is he can play anywhere from 1-7, 9 & 13 - and plays all except 6 & 7 at a very high level. he is also arguably the fittest guy in the NRL.

I would personally have him starting at FB and carry someone like Hornby on the bench, but McKinnon has been excellent too - and kids on the bench would allow him to play.

I was never a great fan of Kids, but he has been an absolute revelation this year.

Buderus is definately the premier hooker in the game, IMO Farah will end the year in 7 (and make a huge go of it) while C Smith has never played in anything other than a premier team - Buderus and Farah are surrounded by some average players, Melb, QLD and Oz are quality from 1-17 - meaning comparisons are a little lop-sided. As for the form call - Bedsy has played 2 games - one returning and one in 35deg heat. I have no doubt by SOO time he will be firing.

Mullen has been one of the Knights best this year - and will continue to improve. IMO he is a 7 not a 6, and he is steering the Knights around really well. at any rate, name an in-form NSW halfback (*waits for a raiders fan to name Dobson*). If not this year, Mullo will be there soon. He isn't running enough at the moment and he has one or two poor kicks a game, but he is getting there.

for mine Simmo has been average so far this year (but is still quality) - Abes has been our best forward (unfortunately stuck at 5/8 now), and Tolar and Matt White have been impressive too.

perverse

Referee
skeepe said:
I don't hate the Knights.

OK that's a lie, but it doesn't colour my opinion of their players. I'm a big fan of Buderus and think he's the premier hooker in the game, but you can't deny that ON FORM Farah is better. I would have no problems with Buderus lining up in the 9 for the Blues.

You also can't deny that Mullen has shown nothing like representative level form so far in first grade. That's fine though, he's just starting out and I have no doubts he'll be a superb player in the future.

As for Kurt Gidley, yes he has been playing well but are you really saying he's SOO level? Come on, surely even someone with red and blue eyes can see that he's just not an Origin player? He's more in the Brett Finch mould, if he makes it he probably won't let you down but he just doesn't have the spark that you need to make it at that level and is far too prone to going missing.

For what it's worth, Steve Simpson should be the first second-rower picked... he's been tremendous this year.
i think you're judging kurt gidley the 5/8th, not kurt gidley the fullback. all he has shown us this year has been spark and flair. his broken field runs have been damaging and if he doesnt break the line he looks like breaking the it very often. also been very safe under the high ball. i've no doubt in my mind the #1 origin jersey is (for the moment) divided between stewert and gidley. gidley is a fitness freak and also has the immense versatility in his favour.

the carney vs. mullen debate will rage on, and why not.. they're both young, very promising players. carney is ahead this year by a step or 2.. but only off the back of 2 very impressive performances. mullen has been consistantly building his game this year and looked great against souths when our forwards got on top.

Raider_69

Post Whore
for the record, i dont think Todd is ready for State Of Origin this year, but if selected he'll do the job well enough
but sadly boys and girls, at the moment he is their best option at 5/8th... ready or not, he is right in there with a chance, give him a NSW quality pack and backline... id love to see what he does with that

Raider_69

Post Whore
magpie_man said:
City v Country = Anasta v Carney, whoever wins that battle will win the NSW #6 imo.

i agree
Stick him in Country Origin, if he goes well there, and outplays his opposite, you'd have a hard time not picking him

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I hate the "he's not ready for origin" argument. We've seen alot of players debut at ages younger than Carney, Mullen and the like. Daley, Clyde and Fitler debuted at young ages and even Inglis last year and Thurston the year before. If you have the required level of talent (no matter how raw) then you can play rep footy.

tiger_nick

Bench
  • Stewart 6. Hornby 7. Gower 14. K Gidley

If Carney plays so help us…Raiders fans batting themselves after he’s played a couple of decent games in first grade after doing 3 years of sweet fa. :roll:

I’d take Mullen over him anyday.

legend

Coach
Come on, you can admit it, Carney is playing well and as a Tigers fan you find it impossible to praise a Raiders player, even though he is one of the form players in the competition at the moment.

If you are going to comment, at least make it meaningful, not your typical Tigers bitchfest about the Raiders players.

salivor

First Grade
Normally I'd say no but the prospective halves for NSW are a pretty pathetic looking bunch. It probably wouldn't be a bad move for NSW to take a punt on a young halfback like Carney or Mullen and stick an experienced 5/8 like Gower beside him. It is refreshing though to see that best halves in the comp are all coming out of Qld after some of the duds that have pulled on the maroon jersey in recent times.

Y2Eel

First Grade
I'd put Carney In the Number 6 for NSW He isn't ready but he is the only option and Mullen is atleast a year away from representing NSW..

salivor

First Grade
An interesting name that Gould put forward on the Sunday Roast was Michael Monaghan.