What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Carney ready for Origin?

Canard

Immortal
nickdemonknight said:
For me to be considered he would have to have proved himself in a big game or a tough situation. Since to my knowledge (I haven't looked into Canberra games too much) he has not. I would have to say no as there is no proof that he would be able to deal with the pressure. If we were talking about him in 1 or 2 years I would see him as being mature enough to handle it but at the moment I don't.
Talented enough yes but able to handle the pressure no.

The biggest game John Doyle and John Buttiegieg played in before they played Origin, was poker on the Bus to Cowboys matches, and they killed it.

Surely

Post Whore
He's ready, and picking him this year will be a great investment for the future, youngsters with ability like he has learn very quickly, even more so when thrown in the deep end.

Balmain_Boy said:
Just a question for Raiders' fans.

I know Carney started his FG career at half back with Smith inside him, but did he play half or 5/8 in the lower grades? If it's the former I'm stunned at how quick his transition has been - he looks an out and out 5/8 at present. It's great to see.

Back in Flegg it was Carney in the #6(with his current halves partner in the #7) and they won the comp. So he has always been a 5/8.

Mr Saab

Referee
Ziggy the God said:
Seriously, put him next to Gower, and if the NSW forwards can get on top, he will do the job.

That said, the NSW selectors will pick the same droids that they always do.

Please, please, please pick gower and carney as the halves!!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
legend said:
Cronk is from Qld and if we go with Kimmorley and Anasta, we may as well not even turn up.

I probably should have guessed that seeing as he's from the Storm. lol. Yeah I agree KImmorley/Anasta isn't quite as imposing as Thurston/Lockyer. I just can't remember any recent series where NSW took a big gamble on a young player without it being injury forced. QLD have thrown guys like Slater, Inglis, Hunt into the big time at a young agae, but NSW seem to prefer the tried and tested. A combination of Kimmorley/Anasta/Gower is likely and I'll be surprised if it's anyone young and fresh.

RABK

Referee
Yup, Throw Carney in and watch NSW get mauled 3-0.

Carney never selected again.

Another year of development for Mullen and he'll be there in 08.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
nickdemonknight said:
I agree that we shouldn't use 2 halfbacks and we should have a proper 5/8. I also agree that we should find our 5/8 in the City V Country match. Even if it means that there is a second 5/8 on the bench for 1 or both of the teams so that NSW selectors can be confident that they have the best player for the job. Although they would never do that.

City V Country is a standalone origin battle and should not be dictated to by the NSW origin selectors. Even if Carney plays in the game and goes well, the NSW origin team should be picked on NRL form primarily.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Jason Smith has big raps on Carney:

Carney to threaten Thurston: Smith

North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston has been spruiked as the player to dominate rugby league for the next decade - but a challenger to the lofty title has already surfaced.

Cowboys pivot Jason Smith believes his former Canberra apprentice Todd Carney presents the greatest threat to Thurston's top billing in the coming years.

When Andrew Johns retired, the Newcastle halfback immediately ordained Thurston as the man to fill his shoes as the game's best player as Darren Lockyer's career winds down.

Smith is the first to back Johns' call but reckoned five-eighth Carney would soon be among the game's elite.

"There are probably two or three players in that (elite) category but there's a few not that far behind," Smith said.

"I believe JT (Thurston) is (the best player) at the moment but Darren Lockyer can turn a game on its head.

"And I believe Todd is a similar type of player. I believe he can dominate the game in a couple of years with a bit more experience."

Cowboys pivot Smith was texting furiously on Monday night, congratulating his former Canberra teammates after Carney helped hold out a desperate Sydney Roosters in their 37-28 NRL win.

Smith was convinced not only Carney but a number of Raiders would soon don the green and gold.

"I believe Carney, their frontrowers Michael Weyman and Dane Tilse and the fullback William Zillman will definitely be playing for Australia in four or so years," Smith said.

"They are exceptional players."

Smith spent the last two seasons at Canberra grooming Carney who, at 20 years old, has the rugby league world at his feet judging by his command performance against the Roosters.

"I've got a lot of time for Todd. He was asking me a lot of questions (at Canberra)," Smith said.

"Todd is his own player and he was always going to be a good player no matter what I said to him.

"But watching him against the Roosters it was good to see someone I have been involved in play as good as he did."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/070103/2/11y12.html

I'm not sure Carney is quite ready, but he is at least a natural 5/8, something NSW desperately needs. I'd give him a go for Country Origin this year and for NSW next year if his form holds up.

legend

Coach
Red and Blue Knight said:
Yup, Throw Carney in and watch NSW get mauled 3-0.

Carney never selected again.

Another year of development for Mullen and he'll be there in 08.

Lol, Carney is a better player than Mullen but being a Knights fan, it's just too hard to admit isn't it?

voltron

Juniors
R&BK is saying that mullens isnt ready right now
but if carney comes in this year, and NSW is smashed
then he wont be considered next yr, when mullens will be more up to the challenge of origin
heheheh
so basically he wants to stack the deck in mullens favour

Paullyboy

Coach
I'd love it if Carney never played origin - but thats me being selfish too (and also because Im a Queensland fan).

I'll also agree with the comment that Carney's running game isn't like Fittlers. Fittler would take the line on a lot more, Carney takes the line on almost exclusively at the tryline. If Carney started taking it on and was able to pop offloads in tackles in the middle of the field he may be able to claim that he has a Fittler-esque running game.

legend

Coach
I should have articulated that he islike Fittler close to the line but he has scored a few longer range tries in his career. The one against Manly in round one last year springs to mind.

skeepe

Immortal
Against the Roosters last year also, was from our own 30 metre line... well, he made the break anyway I can't remember if he was the one who ended up scoring.

perverse

Referee
actually over the past 2 years i'd say they've both shown about the same.. carney has just started better due to a less turbulent start this year. we all tend to have short memories around here.

but i'm a knights fan, so i must be biased.

-edit- deleted the quote from legend.. i think i quoted the wrong person.. this post was in regards to carney/mullen comparison.. -/edit-

macavity

Referee
Carney/Mullen THIS year

with McKinnon 1, Buderus 9 and Gidley 14

time to build for the future - the rest of our potential halves are broken hacks (kimmorley, gower, etc etc)

skeepe

Immortal
macavity said:
Carney/Mullen THIS year

with McKinnon 1, Buderus 9 and Gidley 14

time to build for the future - the rest of our potential halves are broken hacks (kimmorley, gower, etc etc)

Mullen isn't ready for Origin, and hasn't shown in his time in first grade that he's anywhere near that level. Gidley? Don't make me laugh. Solid first grader, but not an Origin player. McKinnon I agree with, he's been sensational and it's not like Minichiello or Hornby are setting the world on fire at the moment.

The most important thing this year is that Origin is picked on form. Steve Price has to be a no brainer for Queensland, and I dare say that on form perhaps Farah should be there ahead of Buderus, but there's still plenty of time to go and captains are not deposed so easily.

perverse

Referee
skeepe said:
Mullen isn't ready for Origin, and hasn't shown in his time in first grade that he's anywhere near that level. Gidley? Don't make me laugh. Solid first grader, but not an Origin player. McKinnon I agree with, he's been sensational and it's not like Minichiello or Hornby are setting the world on fire at the moment.

The most important thing this year is that Origin is picked on form. Steve Price has to be a no brainer for Queensland, and I dare say that on form perhaps Farah should be there ahead of Buderus, but there's still plenty of time to go and captains are not deposed so easily.
have you even watched a knights game this year?

mxlegend99

Referee
Farah won't be picked ahead of Bedsy, even though he is in WAY better form.

But i think he will make the bench. Mullen is not ready for Origin. Not by a long shot. Gower or Orford are the 2 best choices for #7. Carney in the #6 would be a massive gamble, but a worthwhile one... having said that, i think Anasta is in good enough form to get the job.

So long as Finch isn't an option, we have a chance.

Latest posts