What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Carney ready for Origin?

Mr Saab

Referee
NSW remind me of QLD of only a few yrs back when they threw "names" out there.
Michael Monaghan is a fine 1st grader, but rep player for origin? hmmm

salivor

First Grade
Gould made the point that he's Origin tough, I'd have to agree with him on that, he'd handle it. Sure he's not going to set the world on fire but neither is any other option NSW can put forward presently, Monaghan is one option that you can pretty much guarantee isn't going to let you down though.

Raider_69

Post Whore
macavity said:
oh the irony is monas makes origin before orford.... :lol:

:lol: :lol:
great point
Orford would just about chuck it in at that point, wouldnt he? :lol:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think Monaghan would make a terrific utility off the bench. He would be like Craig Wing but with some balls.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Walt Flanigan said:
I think Monaghan would make a terrific utility off the bench. He would be like Craig Wing but with some balls.

Except with less line breaking ability, less speed, less impact and inferior defence
Say what you like for his club form, but Wing has been class for the Blues

Hutty1986

Immortal
Walt Flanigan said:

Except with less line breaking ability, less speed, less impact and inferior defence
Say what you like about his club form, but Wing has been class for the Blues

lzd

Juniors
Carney the form 5/8 of the comp?

Preposterous..... he is the only 5/8 in the comp!

I think NSW could do a lot worse than a Carney/Gower combination. I expect Hornby or Anasta to get the nod though, but Hornby is playing half at club level and Anasta's proven to any doubters that his best position is lock forward. In fact, I'd pick him at 13, but I'm a qlder, so go right ahead and ignore me selectors! The other guys i'd give consideration to are Daniel Holdsworth and Matt Geyer. Holdsworth is deadset carrying the dogs at the moment. Ben Roberts hardly even gets the ball and I really don't know what Brent Sherwin has done to be still bumbling around in the reserves when Ben Roberts is doing little more than filling a spot on the team sheet.

Ja.Smith, Lockyer, Seymour are Qlders

Je.Smith, Marshall are Kiwis

Hilder, Abraham, Anasta, Finch are all being played out of their best position, which is not five-eighth.

Witt (suspect might be Qlder???) - going OK at the Warriors - good enough to hold out Hohaia and I suspect Ropati upon return.
Richie Williams - absolute rubbish, he won't score 4 tries in origin, and his kicking game is a joke. He has some hard truths to learn before he can call himself a first grade footballer let alone talk about rep footy.
Geyer - if melbourne win the premiership, it will be with geyer at 5/8, and he has played 5/8 for NSW before if my memory serves.
Carney - with a head like Gower inside, and Anasta locking the scrum, I'd have no problem throwing some youth in the mix, if he can maintain form over the next 4 rounds.
Holdsworth - see above, i'd be picking him.
Burns - another young talent, but behind Holdsworth and Carney in the pecking order for mine.
Wallace - next in the youth brigade after Burns.

when you consider that 6 of the 7 guys in contention are very young, i think NSW will be just about be forced to blood a guy this series.

as for halfback, it's Gower hands down for mine. Easily the best halfback in the comp outside Jonathan Thurston, and has been at that level consistently for some time.

tiger_nick

Bench
legend said:
Come on, you can admit it, Carney is playing well and as a Tigers fan you find it impossible to praise a Raiders player, even though he is one of the form players in the competition at the moment.

If you are going to comment, at least make it meaningful, not your typical Tigers bitchfest about the Raiders players.

i have nothing against the raiders and am a big fan of a number of their forwards and a massive fan of zillman. im sorry i just plain dont rate carney. i think he's running game is good however all other aspects of his game at this, are quiet poor.

p.s i really like that thing you do with your tounge ;)

Raider_69

Post Whore
tiger_nick said:
i have nothing against the raiders and am a big fan of a number of their forwards and a massive fan of zillman. im sorry i just plain dont rate carney. i think he's running game is good however all other aspects of his game at this, are quiet poor.

:lol: who have you been watching?
not the same Todd Carney the rest of us are.

like his long and short kicking, a long kicking game that has produced a number of 40/20, plenty of open ground, infact his long kicking game has much been the praise of many good judges. His short kicking game needs work, no arguements, but its coming along, but it too has produced a few tries.
And his passing game is great.

Get off the crack mate

lzd said:
thanks for pointing that out.

anyone know if witt is too?

Witt is definitely a QLDer.

And NSW should definitely pick Carney.

This is the team the blues should run with.

1. Minichiello
2. Turner
3. King
4. Lyon
5. Grothe
6. Carney
7. Dobson
8. Kite
9. Farrah
10. Tilse
11. Hindmarsh
12. Mason