What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Channel 9 the home of rugby league?

Stallion

First Grade
Channel nine's poor regard for international rugby league was shown when it telecast the much anticipated Tonga v Kangaroos game on a subsidiary channel. Despite this the international achieved very good ratings that were above many programmes on main channels on that night. What is dissapointing is that this sort of scant treatment of the international games is happening despite good tv ratings figures? Very odd!

Timbo

Staff member
I really hope some of the mega minds at Thr NRL have been watching the cricket on Seven today.

Even with James Brayshaw and Damien Fleming having a wank on about AFL from time to time, it is infinitely better than the garbage that Nine has served up for the last decade.

Sometimes just changing something for the sake of shaking it up is necessary. And it’s well overdue with league.

Stallion

First Grade
I really hope some of the mega minds at Thr NRL have been watching the cricket on Seven today.

Even with James Brayshaw and Damien Fleming having a wank on about AFL from time to time, it is infinitely better than the garbage that Nine has served up for the last decade.

Sometimes just changing something for the sake of shaking it up is necessary. And it’s well overdue with league.

Might add that the Fox Rugby league channel , is underperformed as far as decent rugby league content is concerned. The code doesn't stop when the NRL ceases! A magazine style weekly programme updating people about rugby league far and wide and closely is long overdue.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
I can’t believe there hasn’t been a weekly NRL 360 show come out. There has been enough content to feed at least an hour a week if not more during this offseason.

Stallion

First Grade
I can’t believe there hasn’t been a weekly NRL 360 show come out. There has been enough content to feed at least an hour a week if not more during this offseason.

It's really laughable that FOX boast a 24 hour channel on rugby league yet can't find the motivation to do at least a 1hour weekly show about the code during the off season. Very poor treatment of subscribers and the rugby league .

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Seven do sport very well. Look at the RLWC 2013 and 2017 - very good coverage.

Fox need to name our channel correctly: Fox Rugby League, or at the very, very least, Fox NRL. I presume that Fox League has come about due to them planning a Fox Rugby channel down the track. Disgraceful if that is the case. They would never accept it being Fox Union and we shouldn't either.

Stallion

First Grade
Seven do sport very well. Look at the RLWC 2013 and 2017 - very good coverage.

Fox need to name our channel correctly: Fox Rugby League, or at the very, very least, Fox NRL. I presume that Fox League has come about due to them planning a Fox Rugby channel down the track. Disgraceful if that is the case. They would never accept it being Fox Union and we shouldn't either.
Absolutely. and this "Rugby" naming seemingly isolated to union in most areas lately is a disturbing trend. Something that should be addressed. Definitely worth calling the Fox channel FOX RUGBY LEAGUE!

Stallion

First Grade
I'm not sure if anyone at NRL HQ has raised this point with Fox but it is a point worth raising.

Definitely. The isolating of the term "rugby" to just union gives rugby league a subordinate role and status to union. It's actually a rude and ignorant referencing against rugby league from the outset.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
fmd

here we go again with three pages of Gelding whinging about the channel name

FMD. Didn't even bring it up you ignoramus! But a very valid topic though! Geez there are some dummies on this website!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Definitely. The isolating of the term "rugby" to just union gives rugby league a subordinate role and status to union. It's actually a rude and ignorant referencing against rugby league from the outset.

Nobody except you and the imaginary guy you’re about to quote believe anything suggests league is subordinate to union.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/afl-ed...-on-nine/38c193e2-7f8b-4ae6-8154-a7658434f437

Eddie McGuire announces new AFL shows to air on Nine

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F06%2F07%2F11%2F48%2Fmelauthor.png
By Melanie Dinjaski

McGuire has been host of the AFL Footy Show since 1994, and now Nine is set to boost its AFL coverage with a shake-up he says is prompted by Thursday night AFL games during the season as well as Nine's broadcast of the Ashes and World Cup of Cricket next year.

He said there will be an 'exciting' new offering of AFL programs, including McGuire hosting 'specials' and a new mid-week show featuring Sam Newman, who recently secured a multi-year deal with Nine.

"Very few things are the same 25 years later," McGuire exclusively told Wide World of Sports.

"There are completely different scheduling commitments with Channel Nine these days, so we're coming up with what we hope will be what people are looking for in the delivery of sports entertainment."

McGuire teased what the revamped mid-week show might look like.

"We've got the plans but we don't necessarily want to tell the world just yet what they are. We want to make the announcements in due course," McGuire said.

"We'll get some really good ideas for next year."

McGuire said they are still yet to do casting for the program, but more information would be revealed soon.

He was enthusiastic about hosting special event coverage during the season and 'loves' working with Newman.

"We found last year, with the grand final Footy Show and major events, that the Footy Show dominated the ratings and did really well so we're going to continue doing that," McGuire said.

"Sam is one of the most unique talents - a 300-game superstar, he's been a legend of television, particularly in Melbourne. And for Sam to be excited and ready to go around again and sign a new deal with Channel Nine is fantastic.

"I love working with Sam. I can't wait to get involved in some big television events with him."

Newman spoke to AFL Footy Show viewers in an emotional down-the-barrel address at the end of the season, when he was uncertain of the program's future.

Newman's emotional message

McGuire dropped the surprise show announcement news on Friday morning, also speaking on the Today show.

"We're going to change it up a bit," McGuire said.

"We had to work out just where the AFL Footy Show sat.

"Sam Newman and myself are going to host a number of specials next year which are going to be big, extravagant entertainment footy shows, just like the grand final Footy Show.

"We'll then have another show that will be on a Wednesday and Thursday night depending on what's happening in the footy world, and that will be a completely new show - new hosts, new people. Sam might be going in between both of them.

"I won't be hosting that show, but I'll be hosting the specials. And then Sam will also be involved on the extended Sunday Footy Show on the Sunday morning with some of his great head-to-head interviews.

"So a bigger Footy Show, a bigger suite of shows to give to the people who love their AFL.

"It's a huge year coming up, so trying to fit ourselves in, we think we've come up with a very elegant solution but most importantly, give people what they want, not what you think they want. And that's what we've been told, they love the big events on the Footy Show, so we're going to provide them the biggest names in sport."

Latest posts