What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Channel 9 the home of rugby league?

Valheru

Coach
Personally I am not sure what people are on about with the tennis coverage.

Looks and feels exactly the same as previous years coverage on channel 7.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Completely agree. FREE TO AIR TV COVERAGE is vital! Looking at the World Nines in October: Surely this should be on an FTA channel as well! ? Doesn't have to be a main channel (although a final deserves such coverage). But at least a minor channel simulcast with Fox! Otherwise it will be seen by less than 30 percent of the audience in Australia. A real shame and another example of poor endeavour from administrators within rugby league. A World nines deserves better tv coverage. Great venue just poor tv servicing to the general public.

I think the thing thats killed the NRL 9s was hiding it away on PTV. At least for the first few years, they should have gone to a FTA channel and just focused on exposure/quality of the broadcast.

Imagine if Origin was only on PTV. Suddenly no one would give a shit because it is hidden.

El Diablo

Post Whore

that's what i think when i see it too

same commentators and same camera angles yet it's somehow worse :confused:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I havent seen the tennis since it moved, so i cannot be sure. BUT the C9 colour scheme is an absolute turn; washed out green-grey, where as 10 and 7 have very vibrant colours.

I assume there is also a change in the definition quality. C9 always lowballs that.

And the 9 RL camera crew is shit (i dont know if Tennis has the same crew as before or if that has changed). 9 are always too heavy with close-ups (focusing on the player/personality) rather than the wideshots needed to see the whole field/court.

Again, i havent seen the 9 coverage of Tennis, but i would not be surprised if it has the same problems RL has there...

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I think that is the way they work.

I think the one thing they could do (specifically relating to RL) is promote and cross-promote their product more and ensure that commentators and presentors are not bagging the game out.

Channel 7 promote and cross-promote very well and you wouldn't get an AFL commentary gig if you were going to constantly bag out the game... the product that the network paid a fortune for.

AFL-Seven feels like a parnership
NRL-9 feels like an obligation to 9

El Diablo

Post Whore
Addition of Johnny Mac is a notable one - some love him, some hate him. All of the presenters are ch 9 ''personalities'' which as I said I can't cop but acknowledge that it is subjective.
and 7 used their personalities so no difference really

ratings seem the same too but can't say the same for the cricket on 7

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
and 7 used their personalities so no difference really

ratings seem the same too but can't say the same for the cricket on 7

I dont think you can ever get personalities out of comentary, it would probably be very boring. I think the difference is that 7 uses their "personalities" to sell the game.

9 uses the game to sell their "personalities"....

Stallion

First Grade
I think the thing thats killed the NRL 9s was hiding it away on PTV. At least for the first few years, they should have gone to a FTA channel and just focused on exposure/quality of the broadcast.

Imagine if Origin was only on PTV. Suddenly no one would give a shit because it is hidden.

Absolutely Doctor ! Thought this when it (the Nines) was funneled through to just Pay tv after its first year! I thought straight away :"this is not going well for the future of the concept!" It makes a big difference to relevance and market share.

Stallion

First Grade
it was part of the rights agreement that if they started things like that it went to pay TV

Seems an odd rights agreement!? Would have thought a fledgling tournament such as that very keen to maintain FTA coverage for continuing general public awareness? Nothing against pay tv but the FTA component is very important in creating general public awareness.(especially for a relatively new tournament)

El Diablo

Post Whore
well i think it was a safeguard so that the NRL couldn't do the rights deal and then add shit after it was done which then had to go to another bidding war

Stallion

First Grade
On Nein today was scheduled Women's Footy, a magazine style show on aflw.

FFS, they're taking the piss, aren't they?

Good observation. It's things like this that rugby league is not being afforded. This is despite rugby league delivering top ratings in the tv world! It's strange a women's AFL show can be screened on FTA yet an international World nines has no such coverage!? It's ridiculous.