What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

Not at all in my opinion. He would do something with the Parramatta squad, Unlike Kearney but I think Penrith are far worse on Paper.

He is still a relatively young coach and I am not too sure what other coaches are available.

franklin2323

Immortal
Coote,Burns,Walsh and Kingston are solid First Graders...No stars in that lot.

Until we find a marquee in that spine we will struggle.

I don't disagree but as a new coach coming in. You have a settled spine. 2 SOO players in Jennings, Lewis, McKendry a NZ test player. 3 emerging Origin players (sure Gordon hasn't played). Certainly a great start.

So you would think the prior season record can be matched. Can anyone here say Canberra (Dugan and Campese have missed plenty of games) or Roosters are a 3 win better roster then us?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Mate we have had Cameron Ciraldo,Clint Newton,Brad Tighe, Danny Galea and Chris Armit as regulars for us this year.

ozbash

Referee
Ivans ok if he calls the shots. If someone is poking their nose in, he backs off. Very non confrontational.

Good coach but Skinner is right, he hasnt got a premiership in him.

Doomednow

Bench
Jesus christ, you lot. This place...

It seems like every other day we are starting threads about "this sucks, that sucked, he sucks, what else can we say sucks?"

We must have the gloomiest board on the site. At least the Sharks were good natured about it when they were sucking. We don't even have any good trolls or idiots.

Lower grades kicking arse. Very proud of our boys playing hard in Origin. Team will improve when cap and culture problems get further sorted out. Cleary will need more than half a season.

franklin2323

Immortal
Mate we have had Cameron Ciraldo,Clint Newton,Brad Tighe, Danny Galea and Chris Armit as regulars for us this year.

Yep. The coach keeps picking them despite being terrible. That's my point All will be on the books next year and if injuries hit will play. Again is Canberra minus Campese and Dugan any better? The Roosters with all but 3 are 23 or younger any better? Or as is the case currently 3 wins better?

abpanther

Staff member
Haven't we already established weeks ago that they can't bring in any more juniors this year due to cap restrictions?

franklin2323

Immortal
Haven't we already established weeks ago that they can't bring in any more juniors this year due to cap restrictions?

We can still mix it up. Austin hasn't started in the backrow. Neither has Robinson or Achurch. We could of tried impact of the bench Seluini style even. We release some fringe players and sign Shackleton.

We could of tried some kids instead. We still might but it's like we are just waiting for the new signings to come. Then if they get injured we are in the same position.

penrithmob 65

Juniors
Its to early to make any call on cleary.Lets face it it is a very average squad.But with some quality signings and junior talent coming through the tide is turning
If we are in the same position this time next year then a call can be made

age.s

First Grade
I don't disagree but as a new coach coming in. You have a settled spine. 2 SOO players in Jennings, Lewis, McKendry a NZ test player. 3 emerging Origin players (sure Gordon hasn't played). Certainly a great start.

We haven't really had a settled spine though. Coote has varied between decent and terrible. Walsh, Burns and Kingston have all spent time on the sidelines, and aren't long term options anyway. Austin, Seijka and Taumata have been given runs as well, which is great as it gives Cleary a look at his medium term options.

Our forward leader has been injured and picked for SOO, Lewis and Jennings have been focal points of the culture change going on at the club. Add in Gordon's injury and you have a hugely disrupted season. A disrupted season and a below average roster is pretty much a textbook recipe for poor results, and as I said I'd be happy to get out of here without the spoon all things considered. Much of it has been necessary, some has been out of Cleary's control but it'll take time to really see where it's all going.

We shouldn't forget the bright spots. It's great to see Taumata come back from his off field problems, Timmeh has been amazing when he's on the park, Weston, Mansour, Uaisele and Plum have all been positives and Austin has showed promise. The lower grades kicking ass has been great too. Hopefully I have a couple of teams to cheer for on GF day.

franklin2323

Immortal
We haven't really had a settled spine though. Coote has varied between decent and terrible. Walsh, Burns and Kingston have all spent time on the sidelines, and aren't long term options anyway. Austin, Seijka and Taumata have been given runs as well, which is great as it gives Cleary a look at his medium term options.

Our forward leader has been injured and picked for SOO, Lewis and Jennings have been focal points of the culture change going on at the club. Add in Gordon's injury and you have a hugely disrupted season. A disrupted season and a below average roster is pretty much a textbook recipe for poor results, and as I said I'd be happy to get out of here without the spoon all things considered. Much of it has been necessary, some has been out of Cleary's control but it'll take time to really see where it's all going.

We shouldn't forget the bright spots. It's great to see Taumata come back from his off field problems, Timmeh has been amazing when he's on the park, Weston, Mansour, Uaisele and Plum have all been positives and Austin has showed promise. The lower grades kicking ass has been great too. Hopefully I have a couple of teams to cheer for on GF day.

We aren't the only team going into last nights game

Canberra Raiders
Bronson Harrison (Hamstring) - Round 17-18
Shaun Berrigan (Bicep) - Round 17-18
Josh Dugan (Ankle) - Round 20-21
Trevor Thurling (Shoulder) - Round 23-26
Joe Picker (Arm) - Indefinite
Jarrad Kennedy (Leg) - Indefinite
Glen Buttriss (Sternum) - Indefinite
Jack Wighton (Toe) - Indefinite
Terry Campese (Knee) - 2013
Brett White (Knee) - 2013

Campese, Dugan, White, Harrison are all handy players to be out. Yet still put in a decent performance.

We were never in the game against Newcastle. There was no reason for us to be down 30-0 against the Titans. 10 left in the Parra game we led by 12 yet got run down. These are against teams out of the 8 yet our performance was unacceptable.

Then Simmons/Tighe Centre combination 7 missed tackles between them on Sunday yet another poor team selection

age.s

First Grade
With the Raiders I'd say they simply have a better squad on paper, and a settled (if underachieving) coaching structure. We're 1 year into a complete cleanout. They're not having a season to crow about anyway, and it looks even worse if you don't factor the bye they get from the Dragons visiting Canberra. They were as in the game against the Cows and Tigers as we were against the Titans and Knights. They're going marginally better than us at best.

I agree, Simmons/Tighe on one side is very depressing.

mxlegend99

Referee
We started the season as wooden spoon favorites at full strength... throw in long term injuries to the likes of Tim Grant, Michael Gordon, Nathan Smith, Nigel Plum, aswell as having guys like Travis Burns, Michael Jennings and Luke Walsh (even though I like him not playing) in and out of the team with disrupted seasons.

Personally we're going about as well as you would expect with most of the teams we've had to field this season. Although in some cases I think Ivan Cleary has held the team back... dropping the wrong players at times and giving blokes who don't deserve it constant opportunities to fail. But with any luck all those failures will just have him seeing the light before next season. If we're lucky the likes of Luke Walsh and Brad Tighe will only get a look in at Origin time, and guys like Galea and Ciraldo will only get a run if we pick up as many injuries as we've had this year.

Give Ivan Cleary a decent squad and he can get them to the finals... and personally I think the following squad is more then capable:

1. Lachlan Coote
2. Etu Uaisele
3. Michael Jennings
4. Dean Whare
5. Josh Mansour
6. Blake Austin
7. Harry Siejka
8. Tim Grant
9. James Segayaro
10. Dayne Weston
11. Sika Manu
12. Lewis Brown
13. Luke Lewis

14. Travis Burns / Kevin Kingston / Arana Taumata
15. Nigel Plum
16. Sam McKendry
17. Nathan Smith (not sure on this spot TBH... no real standout as yet)

With the following depth:
Fullback: Josh Mansour and Matt Moylan
Wingers/Centres: Geoff Daniela, Brad Tighe, Junior Vai Vai, Tony Satini, Junior Tia Kilifi and Travis Robinson
Halves: Matt Moylan, Arana Taumata, Travis Burns and Luke Walsh
Hooker: Ryan Simpkins, Travis Burns, Kevin Kingston
Front Row: Mitch Achurch, Chris Armit, Shane Shackleton
Second Row/Lock: Vaipuna Tia Kilifi, Ryan Simpkins, Matt Robinson, Clint Newton, Cameron Ciraldo etc.

I'm sure there's more depth... but the point was to show just how much better off we are next year on the back of a few good signings and giving some guys a crack this season. I'm not sure what the go with Burns and Kingston is for next season, but I'm hoping we atleast kept Burns as he is an amazing competitor and at the very least deserves a spot on the bench as our utility.

franklin2323

Immortal
I wish I had your confidence that the same plodders won't play next year. We just had the wonderful Simmons/Tighe centre combination.

Meanwhile Earl is released & Daniela sits at home. A few weeks ago we only had Smith out of the forywards yet the same backrow was picked.

Apart from a Manu offload that team still looks to not be able to give Jennings decent ball. The bench still lacks impact.

We are about 10 decent fg short of a good squad. We have 4 but lost Flash so we are still 6-7 short. 1 injury in the backs Tighe/Simmons are back in. Uaisele is still to be signed for next year.

Iafeta

Referee
For those bagging Cleary for not winning a premiership at the Warriors, the current bloke, a supposed messiah of local league and this and that and every other thing certain fan bois would love people to believe is doing a hell of a job with that mob isn't he?

It seems to me to very obvious why Phil Gould went for Ivan Cleary. To basically devise a strategy that started to get the junior development from a position of extreme underachievement to unleash the beast that exists, similar to the job that he did at the Warriors. He did it there, its very evident he's doing it here. For your first grade squad, IMO he picked up by in large a bunch of nuffies on inflated contracts. I think the selections Ivan has made for your squad are smart. I think the Panthers will get to the edge of the 8 next year, and then the year after some of your under 20s stars will filter through into a good unit. Realisitcally, surely there was no real expectation to become a premiership contender this year, I'm far from shocked as to where they are, he's inherited a minefield and he's doing a good job, with Gould, of getting focus back onto a strong development structure for better long term outcomes.

Mr Angry, I seriously wonder... did he sleep with your cat? Did he kick a sideline conversion back in the day against the Sharks?

Iafeta

Referee
We can still mix it up. Austin hasn't started in the backrow. Neither has Robinson or Achurch. We could of tried impact of the bench Seluini style even. We release some fringe players and sign Shackleton.

We could of tried some kids instead. We still might but it's like we are just waiting for the new signings to come. Then if they get injured we are in the same position.

I think this speaks volumes for the depth of your squad. No offence, but Matt Robinson was an average to dud plodder NYC player. I was seriously dumbfounded any club picked him up. He'd have been behind about 15 players from that era that I would have picked to play first grade.

franklin2323

Immortal
Don't get me wrong we will be stronger next year but the majority of the squad will be the same. If we were well drilled, Had a good defence but just lacked some polish or class. The new signings would be great.

Except for Siejka & Satini this week no one in the 20's has even played NSW Cup. No one in Windsor is signed up next year. So it's safe to assume most will get some decent game time next season.

So we need some form of improvement by end of the year. Or we might not be much better

murraymob

Coach
once we get some of the injured back you will see the improvment .that in itself will see ploders like galea gone.yes there will be a clean out and lets face it we need it

TeamSatan

Juniors
Saw a penrith scout at the junior league the other day. Asked him what he was looking for or at.

I walked away wondering if he knew anything about football at all....This is where our problems begin.

We need people that recognise football talent...

Until we get a smart network of scouts we will continue to be mediocre.

Poor Ivan walked into a mess....I will give him another 2 years..

Latest posts