What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

hindy111

Post Whore
Bad roster ok performances-Cleary can coach look at the warriors this year compared to last....
Use dont have a spine
1,6,7,9? - None are realy great in those positions are they?

franklin2323

Immortal
:lol: The dud strikes again. After our wonderful performance last week a winger and a bench forward are the only players dropped. Galea then comes in :lol: Achurch gets motm for NSW Cup great move.

We have no structure & no idea in attack. Unless we win all 3 games left we will finish worse then last year despite how bad we were last year we went better.

abpanther

Staff member
I thought we looked pretty good in attack today, bit unlucky really

Defense was terrible though

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Bad roster ok performances-Cleary can coach look at the warriors this year compared to last....
The sign of a good coach is a good following year regardless of replacement. Is Bluey that bad or left a poor devided squad that over achieved on some individual briallance.
Anyways....

Plenty of time to see.

darkbloom

Juniors
The sign of a good coach is a good following year regardless of replacement. Is Bluey that bad or left a poor devided squad that over achieved on some individual briallance.
Anyways....

Plenty of time to see.

Yes, plenty of time. Gus has said 2015 and many fans seem to think that is OK.

If good coaches have good following years regardless of replacement, what do our performances show this year.

Big Mick

Referee
I'm not fine with 2015.

I'm fine with winning a comp in 2015.

I know we'll be competitive if we stay healthy in 2013 enough to make the 8. Then make an assault on the comp in 2014/15

franklin2323

Immortal
I thought we looked pretty good in attack today, bit unlucky really

Defense was terrible though

We are 1st in passes thrown. 5th in linebreaks. Yet last with 2.9 tries scored a game. At some stage you need to look at why we aren't captalising on those chances & make the required changes. We had enough decent chances to be up 18-0 early on & didn't take them.

darkbloom

Juniors
I'm not fine with 2015.

I'm fine with winning a comp in 2015.

I know we'll be competitive if we stay healthy in 2013 enough to make the 8. Then make an assault on the comp in 2014/15

So when do you make a judgement on IC. Personally I think he is a good coach and will do well.

Gus is a good recruiter.

Combined that should be positive.

The worry is the business itself. Not really looking forward to seeing the annual report for 2011-12 but it will be interesting.

Black Majik

Juniors
We are 1st in passes thrown. 5th in linebreaks. Yet last with 2.9 tries scored a game. At some stage you need to look at why we aren't captalising on those chances & make the required changes. We had enough decent chances to be up 18-0 early on & didn't take them.
To me that highlights how in-effective our back rowers are. Our outside backs seem to be to push away from tacklers but don't get to back up a line breaking back rower.

Simple, Warriors are struggling without Cleary, They go from grand finalists to patchy at best with deplorable performances on show.

You have a good coach there but it's going to be something to turn around a club in your predicament.

Maguire basically runs souths on and off the field, He and hughesy arrange retention and recruitment. I think you need to let Cleary run the show, He'll know what he wants and what he can work with.

What worries me with Penrith is Gould is a real power figure and will want the footballing side of things like he wants and that may not sit that well with Cleary's coaching and Cleary's regime for the club.

For the record offloading Mick Gordon was a mistake, The one strength of your spine you just let go after a bad run of injuries, I don't get it in my opinion. Who is on the market that you can replace him with?. Coote looks set for a full time transition to six so who will play Fullback?, You simply cannot throw a rookie there next year in a weakend spine?. You need a real leader and a real power player to lead by example and as many of you believe Walsh is not that, Coote is new to the five-eighth role at least going into full-time and Kingston is more of a defensive hooker that isn't going to pose a major threat in attack.

The age game shouldn't be the card being played, Jennings is only 24 and a centre while Mick Gordon is 30 next year and a fullback. So what Storm are going to offload Billy Slater cause he is 30 and keep Justin O'Neill cause he is 20 something?, As I doubt they would come to a scenario like that but Jennings is a complete waste at centre when you don't have good halves to feed him ball and without an obvious fullback for next year.

Penrith hit the panic button too quickly with Gordon's injuries if that was a main concern towards letting him browse at other opportunities. You've got James Roberts and Mansour both from Souths, Mansour obviously in his second year at the club but both are too pre-mature to throw in at Fullback at least Round 1 of next year or any season you don't see many clubs throw in a complete rookie opening up a campaign. Tigers did with Tedesco basically because they had nobody else.

I somewhat agree with offloading Lewis, Very in-consistent player and highly over-paid and just secretly i didn't see an obvious impact in what he offered as your captain. Best forward you had by a mile but if it's workers that will work together over fringe nrl players an a test player then 100% with that, Lewis's money goes towards upgrading what you have by signing 2-3 forwards that may be slightly better then your current starting options.

franklin2323

Immortal
Our outside backs seem to be to push away from tacklers but don't get to back up a line breaking back rower.

That could be the case but it's round 23 we should of fixed it by now and haven't. I can't remember a week we didn't have the most possession. That should get us home in most games yet doesn't.

FTR I was excited with Cleary's (As I was with Elliott) arrival injuries are part of footy he needs to have a plan b, c etc if plan doesn't work. Elliott was the same when it worked great when it didn't we had nothing very similar here.

franklin2323

Immortal
The worry is the business itself. Not really looking forward to seeing the annual report for 2011-12 but it will be interesting.

Best if you don't. Word is it's not positive. Scott McRae gone. Shaun & Phil gone. I doubt all 3 will get F/T replacements. There's a reason why memberships went up.

Panfas

Juniors
What worries me with Penrith is Gould is a real power figure and will want the footballing side of things like he wants and that may not sit that well with Cleary's coaching and Cleary's regime for the club.
Gould has almost no power over the team, unless he is required to step in. His job is the business side of things, particulally revolving around the leagues club and its interaction.

For the record offloading Mick Gordon was a mistake, The one strength of your spine you just let go after a bad run of injuries, I don't get it in my opinion. Who is on the market that you can replace him with?.
Michael Gordon has played something like 10 games in 3 years(??). Penrith offered him a contract, a fair amount of money considering he was being paid for being injured for most of his previous contract. He was offered a bigger offer elsewhere. Gus advised Mick that if the offer is there, take it. I applaud this decision. I applaud Penrith for not paying over what they were comfortable with, and what they budgeted what he was worth. There is no more in this, Penrith were just not comfortable paying over what they believe he is worth, in their eyes. This is something the old administration would not have done.

Coote looks set for a full time transition to six so who will play Fullback?, You simply cannot throw a rookie there next year in a weakend spine?
Matt Moylan, James Roberts, Wes Naiqama, Josh Mansour, Dean Whare. Not a problem.

You need a real leader and a real power player to lead by example and as many of you believe Walsh is not that, Coote is new to the five-eighth role at least going into full-time and Kingston is more of a defensive hooker that isn't going to pose a major threat in attack.
First of, Coote played 5/8 in the juniors, so not completely new to the position. I will reserve my judgement on Walsh until the end of next year. IMO having Coote at 6 will help his game after an off-season together. Segeyaro is also on his way and will play ~35min a game if he is the bench hooker, of ~45min if he is the starting hooker. Big difference to Kingston.

The age game shouldn't be the card being played, Jennings is only 24 and a centre while Mick Gordon is 30 next year and a fullback. So what Storm are going to offload Billy Slater cause he is 30 and keep Justin O'Neill cause he is 20 something?, As I doubt they would come to a scenario like that but Jennings is a complete waste at centre when you don't have good halves to feed him ball and without an obvious fullback for next year.
Yep you are right. Although Mick Gordon has had 3 serious injuries in the last 3 years. Again, Penrith were just not comfortable paying more than they believe he is worth. The offer from Penrith was generous btw.

Penrith hit the panic button too quickly with Gordon's injuries if that was a main concern towards letting him browse at other opportunities. You've got James Roberts and Mansour both from Souths, Mansour obviously in his second year at the club but both are too pre-mature to throw in at Fullback at least Round 1 of next year or any season you don't see many clubs throw in a complete rookie opening up a campaign. Tigers did with Tedesco basically because they had nobody else.
No panic button has been pressed. Our fullback options for next year are healthy, and Penrith beleive they will get the job done. Just because you have not played much NRL, does not mean you cant handle it from round 1.

I somewhat agree with offloading Lewis, Very in-consistent player and highly over-paid and just secretly i didn't see an obvious impact in what he offered as your captain. Best forward you had by a mile but if it's workers that will work together over fringe nrl players an a test player then 100% with that, Lewis's money goes towards upgrading what you have by signing 2-3 forwards that may be slightly better then your current starting options.
agree 100%. Brown, Manu, Latimore, O'Donnell etc

betcats

Referee
That could be the case but it's round 23 we should of fixed it by now and haven't. I can't remember a week we didn't have the most possession. That should get us home in most games yet doesn't.

FTR I was excited with Cleary's (As I was with Elliott) arrival injuries are part of footy he needs to have a plan b, c etc if plan doesn't work. Elliott was the same when it worked great when it didn't we had nothing very similar here.

Its pretty simple franklin, we have a shit side with shitty backrowers and shitty halves. No amount of brilliant gameplans is gonna change that. At full strength we were picked for the spoon, we have been pretty well below full strength all season

Bob

Juniors
Gould has almost no power over the team, unless he is required to step in. His job is the business side of things, particulally revolving around the leagues club and its interaction.

Michael Gordon has played something like 10 games in 3 years(??). Penrith offered him a contract, a fair amount of money considering he was being paid for being injured for most of his previous contract. He was offered a bigger offer elsewhere. Gus advised Mick that if the offer is there, take it. I applaud this decision. I applaud Penrith for not paying over what they were comfortable with, and what they budgeted what he was worth. There is no more in this, Penrith were just not comfortable paying over what they believe he is worth, in their eyes. This is something the old administration would not have done.

Matt Moylan, James Roberts, Wes Naiqama, Josh Mansour, Dean Whare. Not a problem.

First of, Coote played 5/8 in the juniors, so not completely new to the position. I will reserve my judgement on Walsh until the end of next year. IMO having Coote at 6 will help his game after an off-season together. Segeyaro is also on his way and will play ~35min a game if he is the bench hooker, of ~45min if he is the starting hooker. Big difference to Kingston.

Yep you are right. Although Mick Gordon has had 3 serious injuries in the last 3 years. Again, Penrith were just not comfortable paying more than they believe he is worth. The offer from Penrith was generous btw.

No panic button has been pressed. Our fullback options for next year are healthy, and Penrith beleive they will get the job done. Just because you have not played much NRL, does not mean you cant handle it from round 1.

agree 100%. Brown, Manu, Latimore, O'Donnell etc
Finally a well thought out post not based on emotion, I agree with what you are saying

murraymob

Coach
i think the point Franklin is making is if you pick the same players you get the same results.Cleary needs to take some chances with the windsor boys.Picking Ciraldo Simpkins and Galea in the same forward pack gives zero muscle and meters gained

It is to early to judge him over all as the current squad is just not competitive .With all the new signings a lot of the grey areas have been plugged.The halves are the worry as Harry is still at the same level as this time last year.The current u20 halves are struggling.Hopefully we can find a solution there

Like others its the off field operation that is starting to worry me.This year they struggled to do the membership with the staff they had .

1.How will it get done with less people and no one in charge to run it

2.Merchandize has been scaled back again as yet no one has been appointed to run it.This under Shaun a major money stream for the club

3.Losing Scott Mc rae as ground announcer is a strange one as Scott has stated it was the club choice not his.I can only think they just want someone anyone who will do it for next to nothing.Not a good descion as far as i can see.Scott is a like a tradition at penrith .You just know his voice

betcats

Referee
I agree its to early to judge given the squad he has had to work with and the changes he had to make this season. According to some he is a dud though.

Big Mick

Referee
So when do you make a judgement on IC. Personally I think he is a good coach and will do well.

Gus is a good recruiter.

Combined that should be positive.

I'll start assessing him based on an improved roster next year.

If we stay healthy..and we still aren't competitive...and I see no response to improve the situation...then I'll be on him.

But this year was always going to be sub-par. Compound that with the injuries we've had and it doesn't look good. We were the favourites for the wooden spoon by a long way in the market.

I think he and Gus have looked at where we have struggled....and addressed those needs through bringing in elite talent and also promising young talent.

I think we're building a culture, we're developing our talent and bringing in good players to compliment them.

HankScorpio

Juniors
We were warned that we were up for some lean years before success would come. I think most of our frustrated fans either didn't keep up with what's going on and so didn't know any better, or secretly hoped it wouldn't be as bad as predicted - myself included.

I'm still reserving judgement for the Gus/Cleary cleanout until 2013/2014. For now, I'm slowly learning how not to let games of footy affect my life as much :)

Latest posts