What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

franklin2323

Immortal
NRL Stats don't go all the way back so can't get actual figures.

Maloney wouldn't be classed as elite just a very good half. 2013 season until now 99 try assists from 184 games.

Cleary 27 in 61 games.

So anyone that hasn't got concerns is fooling themselves. Granted he has time to further develop but what if he doesn't get there?

DCE, Milford etc also are in the same boat as being paid overs due to potential

mxlegend99

Referee
I get the feeling that the club already knows Maloney is leaving and have used his money to upgrade players.
The cap has been so badly f**ked up its hard to believe.

When Hook arrived our depth was incredible and our top 17 was stronger than it is now. Since thenwe have bled 5 or 6 experienced players each season and basically signed rejects only.

I just dont see how anyone could argue the roster is any better handled today then it was when Gus first arrived. We rebuilt and did a fantastic job with great signings. To the point where you could argue our top 25 as a whole was probably the best the club has ever had. 2016 was our peak Roster IMO. But now we're at a point where roughly half of our top 30 are fringe first graders.

We have way too many guys on overs. People think it's smart not paying the minimum wage...I ask how the f**k does it ever benefit the club? Outside of Mansour no one is taking a paycut to stay. They either get massive overs from us at their next contract, or they leave for huge money elsewhere.

At full strength our bench is average. We dont have a top 17 that picks itself anymore. We round it out hoping someone can step up... and sadly no ome is. Nor are our starters delivering what we want from them.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The cap has been so badly f**ked up its hard to believe.

When Hook arrived our depth was incredible and our top 17 was stronger than it is now. Since thenwe have bled 5 or 6 experienced players each season and basically signed rejects only.

I just dont see how anyone could argue the roster is any better handled today then it was when Gus first arrived. We rebuilt and did a fantastic job with great signings. To the point where you could argue our top 25 as a whole was probably the best the club has ever had. 2016 was our peak Roster IMO. But now we're at a point where roughly half of our top 30 are fringe first graders.

We have way too many guys on overs. People think it's smart not paying the minimum wage...I ask how the f**k does it ever benefit the club? Outside of Mansour no one is taking a paycut to stay. They either get massive overs from us at their next contract, or they leave for huge money elsewhere.

At full strength our bench is average. We dont have a top 17 that picks itself anymore. We round it out hoping someone can step up... and sadly no ome is. Nor are our starters delivering what we want from them.

This is the point I have been trying to make. The way our cap is set up we need the likes of RCG and Cleary to become superstars and leave their mark on every game.

When Manly were dominant they had atrocious depth as well, but their gun players were ultra consistent.

franklin2323

Immortal
This is the point I have been trying to make. The way our cap is set up we need the likes of RCG and Cleary to become superstars and leave their mark on every game.

When Manly were dominant they had atrocious depth as well, but their gun players were ultra consistent.

Yep. RCG isn't on crazy money compared to say Sam Burgess or Klemmer. The problem is he doesn't seem capable or worthy of such a deal.
Same with Cleary not overs for an elite half...Problem is the form atm..

That for me is the issue where the money went not that it is gone

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Yep. RCG isn't on crazy money compared to say Sam Burgess or Klemmer. The problem is he doesn't seem capable or worthy of such a deal.
Same with Cleary not overs for an elite half...Problem is the form atm..

That for me is the issue where the money went not that it is gone

RCG has to average 130m per game, develop an offload, get a quick play the ball and start to bust some tackles to scatter the defensive line. For what he is being paid this should be the expectation.

Right now he is a prop who struggles to make 100m per game consistently, never offloads or breaks a tackle and gets put on his back too much. The role he is playing can be filled by someone on 200k.

franklin2323

Immortal
RCG has to average 130m per game, develop an offload, get a quick play the ball and start to bust some tackles to scatter the defensive line. For what he is being paid this should be the expectation.

Right now he is a prop who struggles to make 100m per game consistently, never offloads or breaks a tackle and gets put on his back too much. The role he is playing can be filled by someone on 200k.

Yep the elite props regularly crack 150m a game. he has 300m in 3 games while playing 60 odd minutes. Compare that to TPJ's 'bad' game last week

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
I wonder if RCG might end up being a guy where his performance is related to his contract status. Like T-Rex but with a mo.

TheFrog

Coach
TBH i'm not sure we'll get rid of Tamou & I think we'd be silly to do so at this point. Despite the uproar, he's not on ELITE money, good money yeh, & he's consistently been our best forward most of last year & all of this year thus far.
I'd put him behind only Yeo last year, but best so far this year.

tripster

Juniors
When it comes to RCG, I don’t think his frame is suited to him being able to play, in a sustainable way, in the manner that he has done in the past.

He is tall and rangey, and I doubt his body can handle long term the kamikaze running he does (now only on occasion).

I actually think he could be a devastating second rower. He is mobile, and I think would do more damage against opposition second rowers and centres than he would in the middle of the field.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
To me Cleary is basically Cooper Cronk with much better defense and a worse kicking game. Cronk rarely plays off the cuff because he only plays to structure. He doesn't have great instincts but what he has is playing in a team with the two best attacking structures in the game (Storm/ Roosters) along with players who cover up his weakness. Penrith's attacking structure is nowhere near the Storm and we don't have guys who bring something similar to Smith, Tedesco/Slater in those key positions.

What Cooper Cronk does have is toughness, work ethic in preparation and training, a competitive spirit from which he does all the little 1%ers and a cool head in pressure situations all of which Cleary does have.