What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

Kilkenny

Coach
Unless our forward pack dominate and get over the top of our opposition it’s hard to expect Cleary and Maloney to secure us wins. It starts with our forward pack.

mxlegend99

Referee
Unless our forward pack dominate and get over the top of our opposition it’s hard to expect Cleary and Maloney to secure us wins. It starts with our forward pack.
Our pack which is honestly not very good with Kikau and Yeo missing.

How badly would we have done last year if Merrin, Yeo, Kikau, Peachey and CHN were all unavailable?

I dont think Sele, Winterstein and Fuimaono are remotely close to what we lost. I really don't think they're much better than the likes of Hetherington, Ellis and Jed Cartwright for depth either. Although I know some others rate them more highly than me.

Our pack will look infinitely better this week with Yeo and Kikau back though. Leaves only 2 bench spots to fill with guys who are fringe first grade quality.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I think it’s interesting the first thing you mentioned is defence, a lot of people say this about Cleary first up. But to me defence in a half back is a cherry on top.

Re your other points

Great goal kicker, ordinary general play kicker. I think he went a long time without kicking a 40/20. His short game kicking near the try line is actually bad, not even ordinary. He shouldn’t be allowed to do grubbed kicks it’s that bad.

Agree with composure, he’s got a level head.

Attack I don’t agree with, a no.7 is about creating opportunities, he doesn’t do this for his outside backs. Sure he can hit an accurate pass, but most halves can do that. He basically has very little creativity.

The kick on the run to Peachey was almost 3 years ago now, I think it’s telling that is what comes to mind.

To me this most definitely isn’t about just the start of this year, Cleary has looked pedestrian in attack for some time now.

It’s not interesting that I said defence first, I actually had it last, I only moved it to the front because I knew no one would argue. I didn’t even consider his defence until I was about to post it. It was added as an after thought.

I chose the Peachy one because it’s easy to remember. I could have picked plenty of times he found Peachy or CHN on an out ball and in plenty of space. That doesn’t look flashy though, so people don’t remember.

It’s not interesting that I said defence first, I actually had it last, I only moved it to the front because I knew no one would argue. I didn’t even consider his defence until I was about to post it. It was added as an after thought.

I chose the Peachy one because it’s easy to remember. I could have picked plenty of times he found Peachy or CHN on an out ball and in plenty of space. That doesn’t look flashy though, so people don’t remember.

Last year he had 9 try assists, the year before 10.

Those are very average numbers for a playmaker. His attack is the worst part of his game, and that’s what he’s primarily being paid to do.

martielang

Bench
Yeh it's a tricky one. There are definitely worrying signs with Cleary but at the same time he is still very young & no doubt he'll improve as he gets used to the expectation. He does see somewhat limited but at the same time our whole team is currently going like a busted, a bit of confidence & i'm sure we'll see a much improved player.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeh it's a tricky one. There are definitely worrying signs with Cleary but at the same time he is still very young & no doubt he'll improve as he gets used to the expectation. He does see somewhat limited but at the same time our whole team is currently going like a busted, a bit of confidence & i'm sure we'll see a much improved player.

Expectation went up the moment he signed for 10% of our cap. Now it is getting him to that level

franklin2323

Immortal
Age is irrelevant with Nathan now. It is good Maloney is sticking up for him BUT he is an origin winning half on huge money. Being 22 doesn't come into it

MrBlack

Juniors
What ever happened to Cleary's spiral floating bombs???

They were the best I've ever seen.

Cleary will come good. But it has to be soon or we will have to write this season off.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Lets not shit the bed yet. We are 1 from 3.
We got off to a shitty start in 2017 with the Dragons thrashing us and being 2 from 9. We still turned it around and made the finals that year.

mxlegend99

Referee
The Panthers need someone who is a winner like Boyd Cordner
Sadly he would walk straight into our team this year now that we've lost Merrin, Peachey and CHN.

Would be a great benchie to cover injuries or HIA for Isaah Yeo.

Latest posts