What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

OldPanther

Coach
Same issues as Katoa stats wise in NSW Cup just a better defence. He was better than Katoa but that is hardly a high standard. An off season with FG will do him well

He gave better service than Katoa and the better defence you mentioned is sorely needed in FG.

martielang

Bench
He gave better service than Katoa and the better defence you mentioned is sorely needed in FG.

I watched closely for a couple of weeks to see if I was being overly biased & if Katoa did have poor service. I honestly don’t think he missed the mark once when he had a clear target/head. Cleary/Maloney get the ball with enough time & space on 9/10 occasions, they just seem to be immune from any type of criticism from media/commentators/some forum members due to their profile.

Katoas issues are mainly communication & decision making. He gets out of dummy half & if he doesn’t see Cleary/Maloney he shits himself, especially in the 20. Takes a couple of steps either side of the ruck & Lacks composure. I do think this has lot to do with our attacking structure though, has been happening for 3+ years with Wallace, Katoa & Egan. At some point you’ve got to look at the communication or structure of the halves, the million dollar halves.

Kenny’s service so far has consisted of shovelling the ball either side of the ruck, which he did terrifically. I don’t think his true service has been tested though. In saying all that, it’s his position to lose. He’s been solid.

OldPanther

Coach
I watched closely for a couple of weeks to see if I was being overly biased & if Katoa did have poor service. I honestly don’t think he missed the mark once when he had a clear target/head. Cleary/Maloney get the ball with enough time & space on 9/10 occasions, they just seem to be immune from any type of criticism from media/commentators/some forum members due to their profile.

Katoas issues are mainly communication & decision making. He gets out of dummy half & if he doesn’t see Cleary/Maloney he shits himself, especially in the 20. Takes a couple of steps either side of the ruck & Lacks composure. I do think this has lot to do with our attacking structure though, has been happening for 3+ years with Wallace, Katoa & Egan. At some point you’ve got to look at the communication or structure of the halves, the million dollar halves.

Kenny’s service so far has consisted of shovelling the ball either side of the ruck, which he did terrifically. I don’t think his true service has been tested though. In saying all that, it’s his position to lose. He’s been solid.

Our attacking structures on the whole suck so it doesn't help.

betcats

Referee
I think your man Egan is a victim of it too tbh.

The whole side is a victim of it probably and the lack of confidence, that is contagious. When we were at worst a few weeks ago you could how far down the entire sides confidence was just in their body language. We have a lot of players, young ones and older ones who are much better than what we’ve seen from them this year. Seeing guys like Edward and mansour(two confidence players) get back into form has me slightly hopeful the worst is behind us for good.

OldPanther

Coach
The whole side is a victim of it probably and the lack of confidence, that is contagious. When we were at worst a few weeks ago you could how far down the entire sides confidence was just in their body language. We have a lot of players, young ones and older ones who are much better than what we’ve seen from them this year. Seeing guys like Edward and mansour(two confidence players) get back into form has me slightly hopeful the worst is behind us for good.

Yeah while I was at RAN recruit school they spoke to us about morale. Being in such tight groups they said it's absolutely contagious. The group can hit rock bottom or be a mile high starting from one or two people.

betcats

Referee
Yeah while I was at RAN recruit school they spoke to us about morale. Being in such tight groups they said it's absolutely contagious. The group can hit rock bottom or be a mile high starting from one or two people.

Yep I can believe that. I guess the hard part is recognising when it’s happening and knowing how to fix it. That’s what separates good coaches from great ones imo moreso than tactics.

What is RAN recruit school? Cheers

Pomoz

Bench
In my experience, the military know leadership better than any organisation. You should read the ADF paper on leadership that prefaces its leadership framework, it's brilliant.

Anyway, take your comments and apply them to DWZ (wrong thread but hey) and you can see why he was dropped out of the team. He could have such a negative effect on the team, in spite of what Yeo says. It's not the superficial appearance at training, it's all the passive aggressive whispering in the background.

OldPanther

Coach
In my experience, the military know leadership better than any organisation. You should read the ADF paper on leadership that prefaces its leadership framework, it's brilliant.

Anyway, take your comments and apply them to DWZ (wrong thread but hey) and you can see why he was dropped out of the team. He could have such a negative effect on the team, in spite of what Yeo says. It's not the superficial appearance at training, it's all the passive aggressive whispering in the background.

I'll have a read of it.

Hit the nail on the head. Interesting coincidence that the enthusiasm has gone up since he's out.

Kilkenny

Coach

Personally I don’t get the hate Sione Katoa get’s on here. He’s no Damien Cook but for the most part he does what is asked off him. He’s not going to be resigned by us so I hope he get’s picked up by another NRL club and doesn’t have to head to the Super League. I think he would be a decent pickup for a club requiring a decent backup option or a club that doesn’t have a 80 minute dummy half.

OldPanther

Coach
You've only just joined hey? When you get the opportunity to do promotion courses, you do a lot of leadership training. When doing my Sub 1 for Corporal it was a big part of it.

Yeah I had to discharge because the misses couldn't handle it. They said email them within 14 days and Get a return date in a year or 2. They said I didn't email although I did.

Pomoz

Bench
Ah the chairforce haha.

We found out 2 days before enlistment day she was pregnant and she was just struggling.
The military is tough for spouses, it's a single man's game. I would spend six months a year away from home. Some guys didn't see their kids for six months after they were new born. I lasted 3 years after getting married. I couldn't stand seeing my wife sob her heart out every time I went away. It kills you inside. Onwards and upwards Old Panther.

Pomoz

Bench
You've only just joined hey? When you get the opportunity to do promotion courses, you do a lot of leadership training. When doing my Sub 1 for Corporal it was a big part of it.
Same for me in the British Army Corporal's course. I found it amazing that to lead a section of 8 as a corporal, I would get intensive full time leadership training for weeks on end. I was taught by leaders who had fought in N Ireland and the Falklands. I become an executive in charge of 2000 people and I get a days course with some consultants whom had led three people out for dinner. Business just doesn't invest in leadership skills and wonder why they get such muppets in charge.

betcats

Referee

Military’s around the world certainly know more about leadership better than any other organisation for sure, not that I have any experience but I am big history buff and read a lot. There is hundreds of years of knowledge passed down through the armed forces of different nations like Britain etc and shared with allies, and that knowledge has been tried, tested and fined tuned in wars and battles that have decided the fate on nations.