What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Daniel Anderson the new Brian Smith ?

munge

Juniors
for ppl to say anderson lost parra the grand final is a bit harsh, it wasnt just his fault.

it was a combination of his poor tactics, jarred hayne, daniel mortimer, geoff robson letting the side down

ANTiLAG

First Grade
The Warriors had NEVER qualified for the finals before Anderson was coach. He took over in 2001 when the club was broke and seriously lacking talent. He brought smart players in such as Campion and Marsh. He let the talented "show off" players show off without coaching their talent away eg offloads and kick and chases. He created a balanced side that could defend well, kick smart and offload like crazy.

He made 3/3 finals in his time at the warriors, top 4 twice. In his final season, not before off field interruptions of management in the playing squad, he was shown the door before mid season, having lost key players such as Marsh, Campion et al the season before, and Parramatta fans know it takes a full season to judge a coach.

His coaching style is not at all like Brian Smiths. Daniel Anderson will coach a premiership winning side.

The only thing Parra did wrong in the grand final is repeatedly dumb last play options. That is not the coach's fault per se. He probably thought Luke Burt could out jump Turner, but there were many last play fizzlers. Parra were nervous against a team that has been there every year for the last 4 years!

Many fans would like to have DA coaching their team. I know I would.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Warriors had NEVER qualified for the finals when Anderson was coach. He took over in 2001 when the club was broke and seriously lacking talent. He brought smart players in such as Campion and Marsh. He let the talented "show off" players show off without coaching their talent away eg offloads and kick and chases. He created a balanced side that could defend well, kick smart and offload like crazy.

He made 3/3 finals in his time at the warriors, top 4 twice. In his final season before interruption he was shown the door before mid season having lost key players such as Marsh, Campion et al the season before, and Parramatta fans know it takes a full season to judge a coach.

His coaching style is not at all like Brian Smiths. Daniel Anderson will coach a premiership winning side.

The only thing Parra did wrong in the grand final is repeatedly dumb last play options. That is not the coach's fault per se. He p0robably thought Luke Burt could out jump Turner, but there were many last play fizzlers. Parra were nervous against a team that has been there every year for the last 4 years!

Many fans would like to have DA coaching their team. I know I would.
Great post, what DA did with us this season was amazing, look forward what this bloke can with with an even better team next year.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I think comparing the two is an insult to both. Smith is a master of putting in great junior systems and using those juniors along with several players from outside to make a great team. I don't think Anderson puts in systems etc but he can make the players play for each other and in the process turns a rabble into a champion team.

LazyDreamer

Bench
I think comparing the two is an insult to both. Smith is a master of putting in great junior systems and using those juniors along with several players from outside to make a great team. I don't think Anderson puts in systems etc but he can make the players play for each other and in the process turns a rabble into a champion team.

I don't fiollow the SL, but in the NRL he has done nothing of the sort, unless the Storm didn't win the GF...

Angry_eel

First Grade
I don't fiollow the SL, but in the NRL he has done nothing of the sort, unless the Storm didn't win the GF...

By champion team I did not mean one that has won the premiership. Wrong word I guess. I don't think most people realise what kind of sh*t we were in at the start of the year.

Both great coaches, Anderson IMO just has the wood over Smith.
Under Anderson St Helens dominated SL for 3 years appearing in appearing in and winning 3 Challenge Cups 06-07-08, defeating the Broncos in the WCC 2007, appearing in 3 Grand final and winning 1.

I know it's on SL, but impressive none the least.

Fathead

Bench

What a combination they would make ..
ando for head coach and Smithy for Under 20s coach and Junior development....

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
If you count his last 2 seasons in Super League he is also 0/2 in Grand Finals here losing to the mighty Rhinos.

nomarg

Nah, he's gotten better

Like today I heard he used an mp3 player at halftime showing Rabs commentating on the Eels scoring the match winner
:lol::lol:

I heard it was a Power Point presentation- with Hayne scoring the winner over Brisbane....

Ulysseus

Bench
I think comparing the two is an insult to both. Smith is a master of putting in great junior systems.

Maybe at the Eels mate, apparently at Newcastle it became an absolute shambles and much damage was done that was very hard to undo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Rephrase
how many series in SOO have the selectors lost?

Mate, I see your point, but a coach of Bellamy's stature and ability should have more success in Origin in my opinion. OK, sometimes the selectors choose a garbage side - but you don't have the Jeff Robsons or Todd Lowries running out for NSW - even the 'crap' NSW players are above average players.

And I'm not having a go at Bellamy - I'm not his biggest fan, but as a coach, he is brilliant.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Although I suppose it could be said for Anderson, too - he did lose two ESL Grand Finals with fairly good sides.

But I'm with you - I think they're both fine coaches. I'm just not sold on Brian's propensity to leave before his contract is expired.

aussies1st

Staff member
Anderson is a dam good coach, was gutted we didn't go after him. Hes just what you need, doesn't take nonsense from players and he has no favourites. Plus his style is very entertaining, both the Warriors and Eels were a threat from anywhere on the field once they got the offload away, the more impressive thing is being able to get the Eels players to play this game. The Warriors you could say were made for that style not so much the Eels.

Latest posts