What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Des fairdinkum?

Cletus

First Grade
I thought Des did a good job this year. A few bizzare selections but I'm more than happy to make the grand final.

I'm not convinced about Lyon at 5/8, tbh I'd prefer Menzies there. I thought we missed fowards like Hall and Rose. Cuthbertson is the only foward last night who you'd call an impact player. All the rest are toilers, and Bryant isn't that good really.

I'm looking foward to next year. We'll be a better side next year i think, the only thing I'm worried about is having to rely more on Orford's hopeless long kicking game without Monaghan there.

Johns Magic

Referee
CharlieF said:
Do they have less superstars, Yes. Do they have less talent available to them, Yes. Their success came because they played better as a team and also had less injuries.

You asked if any other clubs had better squads.

Cletus

First Grade
salivor said:
I think Brisbane and Parramatta had just as good if not better squads. There certainly wasn't anything in that Manly squad pre-season that screamed out that they were going to do as well as they did and I wouldn't be surprised if they fell back to the pack next year.

Like Brisbane did this year?

axl rose

Bench
CC_Eagle said:
Agree with all of the above.

You forgot -

* Ban Steve Roach from any coaching duties.

He was coaching the Tigers under 20's about 15 years ago and he was a dud, ran dead last. He followed Alan Jones to Souths and it was the same story. Must have been mates with Des from a Roo tour or something, no other explanation.

Glen

Bench
I agree that Hasler probably could have made a few better selection decisions, but Melbourne still would have been far too good

Mr Saab

Referee
Niall the Nasty said:
Like Brisbane did this year?

They started the yr lazy, then won 5 in a row before being shut down with injury
Brisbane, injury permitting, will be back competing again in 08

Garts

Bench
If Brisbane did not get hammered with injuries they would have been challenging for the premiership this year. They will be back in 08 as Saab said, no doubt.

Cletus

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
They started the yr lazy, then won 5 in a row before being shut down with injury
Brisbane, injury permitting, will be back competing again in 08

I thought they might challenge before Lockyer got injured. But they were dead ordinary at the start of the year.

CharlieF

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
You asked if any other clubs had better squads.

In 2007 they had a better squad available to them than all the other teams bar Melbourne due to less injuries and improved player consistency. This in itself brings competion among the players for positions and keeps feeding itself. Lucky season, maybe. Successful season surely.

Mr Saab

Referee
They were ordinary. I guess it is the lack of hunger, or thinking things would be handed to you.
But, no matter how good you are if you dont work hard then the results won come.
They pulled their finger out and the results started to happen.

Johns Magic

Referee
Garts said:
If Brisbane did not get hammered with injuries they would have been challenging for the premiership this year. They will be back in 08 as Saab said, no doubt.

Webcke, Thorn, Carlaw, Berrigan, Tate, Civoniceva, McGuire. All gone from the 2006 premiership winning side.

I think the Broncos are entering a few lean years.

Garts

Bench
Johns Magic said:
Webcke, Thorn, Carlaw, Berrigan, Tate, Civoniceva, McGuire. All gone from the 2006 premiership winning side.

They will still be one of the top sides, still have Hunt, Hodges, Lockyer, Carroll, Ennis, Eastwood etc. All class players.

Mr Saab

Referee
If Joel Clinton can pull his finger out and show his 2003 form then Brisbane will be a factor in 2008.
Looking forward to the new guys in him, Simms and Wallace...and the emergence of David Taylor.

salivor

First Grade
Johns Magic said:

Similar things were said when we lost Walters, Carroll, Thorn, Campion and Walker after the 2000 premiership and the "lean years" that followed were preliminary finals for 2 years straight. We've got some very good young talent in our squad and have brought quite well so I'm quietly confident we can have a fair crack at it next year.

Johns Magic

Referee
Garts said:
They will still be one of the top sides, still have Hunt, Hodges, Lockyer, Carroll, Ennis, Eastwood etc. All class players.

Their forward pack will be pretty average next year unless Clinton plays to his potential.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Garts said:

Geez, that list tapers off real quick to PL standard.

I struggloe to believe that Eastwood is an example of a class player making his club a top side.

Dutchy

Immortal
eelavation said:
If I was a Manly fan I'd be absolutely filthy at Des for at some of his team selections this year, I have no doubt that with the playing roster they had in front of them they should of not only been neck and neck with Melbourne for the MP but also should of won that game yesterday if he did the following..

* Kept Lyon at Right centre - easily his best position and easily one of the best in the world

* Put Burns at five-eight - proven to be one of the most competative players in the comp and a prick to play against.

* Had Matai come off the bench - capable of rattling any oppsition during the danger period of the game [30th to 50th minute] and should of been as a forward.

* Matt Balin should of also been given more of a run especially coming of the bench.

* Mick Monaghan should of been the skipper enuf said.

for a guy that was given alot of money to tinker with the side, assistance from blokes like Dennis Moore and Steve Roach and structure and technology that Peter Sharp never had the opportunity to use, I don't think he's done a great job..

your thoughts? especially Manly fans.

That plus the selection of Bryant every week.

Been my thoughts and what Ive put up with since the start of the season mate.

But hey, he got us to the GF. Not a bad coach IMO.

Latest posts