What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Hazem El Masri about to take last kick

I wish they did that with Johns in 06. He woulda had a sour look on his face and an attitude problem. It would of made for great viewing.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
it works in NFL because that game is full of stops in play (takes 3 hours to play a 60 minute hame) so it doesn't effect the flow of it too much as opposed to league which compared NFL is played at the speed of sound. Light the sky when he breaks it and throw something massive when the game finishes, let him jump on the back of something and do a lap aorund the ground.

One thing i do reckon should happen is Andrew Johns present him the ball instead of Gallop, im sure it would a much better experience for the current record holder to hand it over and would give hazem a huge buzz.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hopefully in the event we are flogged he doesn't chuck a tanty like Johns :lol:

Helen

Juniors
Frankly I don't know what all the fuss is about.

These records are a sham as they stand.

If it takes player 1, 200 games to get x amount of points and player 2 takes 300 games to get the same amount of points plus 1, then in my opinion, the player who takes longer is the lesser of the two players.

If player 1 takes 200 games to get x amount of points and player 2 takes 190 games to beat player one's point score THEN and only then is the record worth anything and the record breaker the better player.

Helen

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
Frankly I don't know what all the fuss is about.

These records are a sham as they stand.

If it takes player 1, 200 games to get x amount of points and player 2 takes 300 games to get the same amount of points plus 1, then in my opinion, the player who takes longer is the lesser of the two players.

If player 1 takes 200 games to get x amount of points and player 2 takes 190 games to beat player one's point score THEN and only then is the record worth anything and the record breaker the better player.

Helen

What's it got to do with being a better player? It's still a great achievement and Hazem should be very proud of it... until it gets beaten in another 5 years which seems to be the norm for this record.

icewind

Juniors
with goal kicking, the higher conversion % would have to be more relevant than amount of games taken.

Tommax25

Bench
What's it got to do with being a better player? It's still a great achievement and Hazem should be very proud of it... until it gets beaten in another 5 years which seems to be the norm for this record.

But who will break it? Nobody is really close are they? Fitzy is on around 1500 but he wont be around in 5 years, maybe thurston can make up the ground as he probably has more than 5 years left?

Helen

Juniors

Lets say for example Player 2 had to play (I know, can't be done) 1000 games to get the same points as the guy who holds the record.

Is this a great achievement? Not in my mind. It is an ok achievement.
The guy that got those points playing less games is the true holder of the record.
The record books will have Hazem down as the greatest point scorer. These same records will omit the fact it has taken him longer to get there.

This is my opinion. I know it differs from the majority..

Helen

*Paul*

Juniors
If we're playing what if games, Hazem has averaged 247 pts a season when kicking, Extend that to his 4 seasons (excluding 98) when Halligan had the duties and he's 3000+ pts. Few others on the lists ever had to play second fiddle.

Loudstrat

Coach
When did Hazem take over?

Just a comparison, Cronin played 9 seasons to set his record. Technically, it was 10 (77-86) but he only played 2 games in 86 and scored about 5 goals that year.

Still, lets celebrate Hazem - a great achievement, great clubman, great ambassador, role model and player.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Lets say for example Player 2 had to play (I know, can't be done) 1000 games to get the same points as the guy who holds the record.

The guy that got those points playing less games is the true holder of the record.
The record books will have Hazem down as the greatest point scorer. These same records will omit the fact it has taken him longer to get there.

Helen

Ok then.. :sarcasm:

Dogs Of War

Coach
When did Hazem take over?

Just a comparison, Cronin played 9 seasons to set his record. Technically, it was 10 (77-86) but he only played 2 games in 86 and scored about 5 goals that year.

Still, lets celebrate Hazem - a great achievement, great clubman, great ambassador, role model and player.

Hazem took the role full time in 2001. Which is why it is a pretty damn good record for him. He started out in 1997.

Eels Dude

Coach

Helen

It doesn't matter. Tries were worth 3 points years ago, now 4. There's a lot more games played these days then there were years ago. Games are higher scoring also. It's not a matter of 'opinion' and it's not a comparison of differing achievements. Regardless of what you think he's achieved a great record and he deserves his spot in NRL history. He won't go down as an immortal, not even close, but he has done something should be proud of.

The smile on his face when he broke the record showed how much it meant to him. In a very bad week for rugby league, I think this is something worth commending.

Apey

Staff member
The smile on his face when he broke the record showed how much it meant to him. In a very bad week for rugby league, I think this is something worth commending.

It's why on one side I'm glad he got the record. It will mean a lot more to him (even if he's downplaying it) than it would ever mean to Joey. Joey has enough to his name, it's great to see Hazem get what he deserves and like you said, it will be something he will be proud of.

Timmah

Staff member
Why do you have to bring up Joey EVERY time you comment on Hazem and the record? :?

Apey

Staff member
Why do you have to bring up Joey EVERY time you comment on Hazem and the record? :?

It may have something to do with how it was previously Joey's record and it is now Hazem's. That and I'm a Knights supporter.

Is it really that hard for you to figure out?

And more importantly, why do you care?

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
A simple "congrats Hazem" would do. Hell Joey wasn't even gracious enough to stick around after the game...

Apey

Staff member
A simple "congrats Hazem" would do. Hell Joey wasn't even gracious enough to stick around after the game...

Did I miss something where my I have to conform my posts into a manner that would please you? :crazy:

Lame bait. Joey acted like a tool that night.

ByRd

First Grade
Well done Haz. Proved tonight why you are the best kicker ever. In torrential rain and just slotting them from all parts was awesome and to see how much the record meant and the passion in your speech afterwards was awesome, on ya Haz!!!