What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it okay to be bi-codal?

Are you bi-codal?

• NRL Only

Votes: 92 36.7%
  • NRL + A-League

Votes: 53 21.1%
  • NRL + AFL

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • NRL + Rugby Union

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • NRL + AFL + A-League + Union (complete sport whore)

Votes: 41 16.3%

• Total voters

supercharger

Juniors
Very curious to know why you go for the teams you do.

Especially in the minor comps you've mentioned where I imagine it would be difficult to catch a game
Yeah looks very random i know but the internet helps so do magazines and
tv shows.Super league is the hardest to keep up with though

Sharks-NRL-They started showing nswrl games on sky and all my friends and cousins had a team the only vacant team was cronulla
Wildcats-ESL-same as with cronulla

Blue Bombers-CFL-made friends with some Canadians and they introduced me to it,very hard to follow it in australia luckily i have friends in Alberta who send me tapes and the CFL website help aswell

Rockets-NBA and Chargers-NFL-Started following both in 94 good years for both keeping up is easy with espn and fox and streaming online
Chicago-MLB-Started watching on sky and took a liking to the North siders
possibly because i liked early edition,being able to watch on ESPN and FOX helps and streming games
Stone Crabs-Minor Leagues-started when i was a kid due to Crabs being my favourite animal.I can listen to games online
San jose-NHL-Canadian friends introduced me to hockey and loved it ever since pressure from friends in Calgary and Columbus to adopt their teams
they send me sweaters and other merchandise and tapes of games hopefully coverage on fox should get better as versus will be screening more games next year

San Lorenzo-I made friends with a couple from Buenos Aires and we ended up adopting each others teams they send tapes and newspaper clippings and i send them league magazines and tapes of games
{i feel terrible for having inflicted cronulla upon them}

supercharger

Juniors
Never bored though as every month is filled with something
JAN-NFL/NHL/NBA/CFB/CBB
FEB-NFL/NHL/NBA/ESL/CBB/Clausura
MAR-NRL/NHL/NBA/ESL/CBB/Clausura
APR-NRL/NHL/NBA/ESL/MLB/Minor league/Clausura
MAY-NRL/NHL/NBA/ESL/MLB/Minor league/Clausura
JUN-NRL/NBA/ESL/MLB/Minor league/Clausura
JUL-NRL/CFL/ESL/MLB/Minor league-
AUG-NRL/CFL/ESL/MLB/Minor league/Apetura
SEP-NRL/CFL/NFL/ESL/MLB/CFB/Minor league/Apetura
OCT-NRL/INT-RL/CFL/NFL/NHL/ESL/MLB/CFB/CBB/Apetura
NOV-INT-RL/CFL/NFL/NHL/NBA/CFB/CBB/Apetura
DEC-NFL/NHL/NBA/CFB/CBB/Apetura
throw in cricket and international baseball and basketball and the calander is packed

Last edited:

supercharger

Juniors
A major benefit of being multi-codal is that you're unlikely to have all teams doing poorly at the same time.

For example:
Storm - doing very well
Essendon - improving
Victory - average at best
Rebels - consistent losers

I wonder whether I would like AFL as much if I didn't grow up in Victoria. That's probably just a cultural thing though - who knows why the Brits like soccer so much when there's rugby around?
Not in my case where they all stink and none of them have won a title in atleast 15 years except san lorenzo

I would like to report the strange disappearance of my hopes and dreams

thorson1987

Coach
The Wannabes and the Pie team are the only Australian teams i dont follow.

Ireland to win the RWC. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

brad_19

Juniors
Don't flatter yourself.

You're still an AFL fan.

Actually, that's a common misconception, from people south of the Bargearse line anyway.

Most people north of the line have actually given AFL a go, they've watched it, some have even gone to a game so they are in a position to give an opinion on AFL based on something other than inbred bias. Most AFL fans who hate either Rugby code can't say the same.

My dislike of AFL and AFL fans wasn't automatic.

No point.

We've had a hundred AFL fans here trying to convert people and at last count they've converted no one. In fact, they've driven people away from AFL.

Once a Victorian eh?

You do that.

I'll tell you the problem here.

You could have said "I follow AFL and Rugby League" but you didn't did you?

WTF is your problem? Check my post history douche - I'm a massive RL fan who has bought Storm memberships since 07 and flown up for 3 GF's (hopefully a 4th this year). Why the massive agenda because of my state of birth? All I was saying is that it's possible to follow both codes when someone raised the question "how". In my case, I grew up following AFL and starting following RL in my teens. You guys are absolute idiots - you want to "grow and promote" the game, but you try and ostracise fans who convert in the process. You can't expect people to switch codes if you're going to emit all this anti-Victorian hostility. Grow up, accept that people have different tastes, and understand that just because you hate a sport, doesn't mean that others have to as well.

I'm not here trying to spread the AFL love. Simply stating that I follow both codes. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Nevcost

Juniors
A big Liverpool and Roar supporter as well as the Broncos. Watched a few Reds games in the Super Rugby as I decided to put on a bet that included the Roar, the Reds and The Broncos winning, so hopfully that will pay off after the NRL Grand Final :)

Teddyboy

First Grade
:lol::lol::lol:

Think what you like as Iam a massive Classic music fan and know everything about it.

BTW was coming home from Touch Rugby last night and the Newcastle v Smerkinhorpe United Carling cup game was on and few were watching it in the clubhouse but the 3 Pubs that I passed which had it on were jamm packed and I live 10 miles from Newcastle near the coast.Just show's you how massive Football/Soccer is in the UK but also shows you how massive is Newcastle Utd is not only in the city centre but crossing all the towns etc the fans are fanatical,it's like State Of Origin or International Rugby Union every time the likes of Newcastle, Chelsea, Man City ,Man U, Liverpool, Rangers and Celtic etc play a home game.

Last edited:

ozjet1

I work in a work force where many workers check their English Premier League fantasy team every morning on their computers at the start of the day. Luckily, the same workers also play the NRL fantasy teams too.

what sad bunch of f**ks a lot of people have become with their 'fantasy' leagues.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
I'm football (soccer) first and league second. But despite that I've always found it hard to get into the A-League, as because others have mentioned the quality there was so poor. Brisbane Roar got me back into it a bit last season, so hopefully they can continue playing like that and then Kewell and Emerton can make some of the other games more interesting as well.

WTF is your problem?

A hangnail.

I don't need to ask what yours is.

Check my post history douche - I'm a massive RL fan who has bought Storm memberships since 07 and flown up for 3 GF's (hopefully a 4th this year).

ooooh, so you go to see the Storm and you're a massive RL fan eh?

Why the massive agenda because of my state of birth?

Who said your "state of birth was part of the agenda"?

All I was saying is that it's possible to follow both codes when someone raised the question "how".

There is something inately wrong with someone who follows both codes. Seek help.

In my case, I grew up following AFL and starting following RL in my teens.

What's it to be, the medal or the chest?

You guys are absolute idiots - you want to "grow and promote" the game, but you try and ostracise fans who convert in the process.

You guys?

Who are "you guys"?

And why do you think people on a Rugby League messageboard are trying to grow and promote the game?

Do you think we're on a Rugby League website to grow and promote the game?

To whom are we preaching, the converted?

I personally don't want AFL fans to convert. Our supporter base can't take the hit to its average IQ.

You can't expect people to switch codes if you're going to emit all this anti-Victorian hostility.

I'm not anti-Victorian, there are some good people from Victoria. I'm anti-Victorianian. For the record though, Melbourne is a toilet. It's the worst place I've ever visited.

Grow up, accept that people have different tastes, and understand that just because you hate a sport, doesn't mean that others have to as well.

Who said you have to hate it?

What you could have done is said "I follow Rugby League and AFL". Others have said it, did you see anyone attack them?

But you didn't did you? You got sucked into an argument you're ill-equipped to handle.

I'm not here trying to spread the AFL love. Simply stating that I follow both codes. Sheesh.

No, you didn't. And that's the problem...

Knightmare

Coach
A major benefit of being multi-codal is that you're unlikely to have all teams doing poorly at the same time.

For example:
Storm - doing very well
Essendon - improving
Victory - average at best
Rebels - consistent losers

I wonder whether I would like AFL as much if I didn't grow up in Victoria. That's probably just a cultural thing though - who knows why the Brits like soccer so much when there's rugby around?

Because soccer is a sport who's followers aren't a bunch of Land Rover driving, cucumber sandwich eating gits who are obsessed with what private school you went to and who your parents are.

Obviously I follow the NRL, and the EPL/ A-League as well. Eurosnobs make me laugh. They'll fork out $130 for the jersey of a team from somewhere they have never been and stay up till 2am to watch them play a team on the other side of the world, but won't make the half hour trip to watch their local A-League team because "the football is crap!"

danny_luczak

Juniors
Another "Victorian" here... :roll:

I've grown up in an AFL family, but have given other sports a fair go. I'm glad I did.

I'm now one of those sports whores that supports any Melbourne team in a national league. Although I have only taken out memberships for Carlton, Melbourne Storm, Victory and the Rebels (the big 4 you could say).

I do get to some games for the Ice (Ice hockey), Tigers (NBL) (I was a South Dragons fan), Bushrangers (Cricket). And am keen to get to a few Netball, Water polo, Hockey and Baseball games in the near future.

But contrary to popular belief there is a lot of general interest in the Storm in Melbourne, walking in the city after a game you get around 20 people actively asking how they went... It seems that the hate for an opposition code is somewhat concentrated on the "rival code" forums such as this one and BigFooty.

There is room for many sports in Australia, there's 23 professional teams in Melbourne alone, in 11 different sports. (22 in Sydney).

There's no point hating a sport with a passion, I've noticed some (unjustified) fearmongering amongst the NRL media about an AFL takeover. I've always believed that ignoring a so called "threat" sends a bigger message than to give it air time...

If I'm guilty for liking AFL and League equally, then so be it. Each to their own, I'm very happy not being insular. I'm just glad that the NRL gave me a chance to follow my own team in 1998, where before that I only had a minor interest in league.

bobmar28

Bench
Another "Victorian" here... :roll:

I've grown up in an AFL family, but have given other sports a fair go. I'm glad I did.

I'm now one of those sports whores that supports any Melbourne team in a national league. Although I have only taken out memberships for Carlton, Melbourne Storm, Victory and the Rebels (the big 4 you could say).

I do get to some games for the Ice (Ice hockey), Tigers (NBL) (I was a South Dragons fan), Bushrangers (Cricket). And am keen to get to a few Netball, Water polo, Hockey and Baseball games in the near future.

But contrary to popular belief there is a lot of general interest in the Storm in Melbourne, walking in the city after a game you get around 20 people actively asking how they went... It seems that the hate for an opposition code is somewhat concentrated on the "rival code" forums such as this one and BigFooty.

There is room for many sports in Australia, there's 23 professional teams in Melbourne alone, in 11 different sports. (22 in Sydney).

There's no point hating a sport with a passion, I've noticed some (unjustified) fearmongering amongst the NRL media about an AFL takeover. I've always believed that ignoring a so called "threat" sends a bigger message than to give it air time...

If I'm guilty for liking AFL and League equally, then so be it. Each to their own, I'm very happy not being insular. I'm just glad that the NRL gave me a chance to follow my own team in 1998, where before that I only had a minor interest in league.
That first premiership in 99 was special.

docbrown

Coach
For the purposes of our Victorian Rugby League supporters to clarify, the term 'Victorian' only applies to 'fumbletards'.

You can be Victorian and not be a Victorian.

This has been a paid public service announcement by the Australians Against Fumbletards Association.

Latest posts