What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it okay to be bi-codal?

Are you bi-codal?

• NRL Only

Votes: 92 36.7%
  • NRL + A-League

Votes: 53 21.1%
  • NRL + AFL

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • NRL + Rugby Union

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • NRL + AFL + A-League + Union (complete sport whore)

Votes: 41 16.3%

• Total voters

docbrown

Coach
Rugby League: the greatest game there is, the greatest game there ever will be.

Then in the NRL off-season NFL, Jets & Giants games mostly.

I might watch a handful of International Union games a year and that will be enough to put me off again for another year when I get sick of the game itself.

Soccer meh. Fun to play but tedious to watch at times. I watch a few World Cup games and was bored to tears.

AFL is a feeble remnant of Australia's insular past and it will one day pass into oblivion, not with a bang but with a resounding "Thank god that shit's dead".

brad_19

Juniors
Yes, give it up, it's an abortion of a sport.

As for growing up in Melbourne, my condolences, but you can't use that as an excuse forever.

:lol: I'm as staunch a Victorian as you can get. If that makes me less of a person, so be it, but you lot should be greatful that I'm one of the few Victorians that has embraced the code and tries to spread the word.

You wouldn't force it on anybody?

So?

Who's forcing Rugby League onto any Victorian?

Nobody - I'm just saying your attitudes are identical. AFL haters in Sydney and NRL haters in Melbourne have pretty much the same rationale, which is why neither sport is making a big imprint in their respective states.

AFL is a f**king plague in Sydney. It's been shoved down our throats for the best part of 30 years and we've shown scant interest. In fact, right now AFL is at it's lowest ebb in Sydney since the mid-1990's when Super League gave it a leg up. It rates like the Test pattern and it's crowds are dropping faster than Paris Hilton's knickers at a Chippendale's do.

I'm well aware of this - I'm not trying to spread the gospel for AFL here. I know it isn't followed by many in Sydney - but when you ask how can people follow both codes, accept that there are those who have grown up on a diet of AFL but over time, have learnt to like and indeed, embrace, rival codes. Because we embrace a rival code does not mean we can no longer enjoy the sport we initially followed.

Take a second and think about it this way;

Most football codes have a presence outside the countries they were spawned in.

Any idea why AFL is still, after 150 odd years, only popular in 1/2 of one country?

I'll answer that for you, it's because it's shit.

Again, you're preaching to the wrong choir. I accept that AFL will never be the major sporting code outside of Vic-SA-WA. I also accept the reasons why Sydneysiders (and indeed, the rest of the world) think the sport is shit. It doesn't mean though that I have to stop following the sport I grew up loving. The sports we choose are very much ingrained into our psyche dependent on where we grow up... eg: people in Vic follow AFL, NSW RL, England EPL and the USA NFL. Which goes to show, if we were all brought up in different places, we'd probably have completely different sporting passions. In any case, I'm proud to support both and will do so till the day I die. :D

smi962

First Grade
I don't mind watching the a league when a team who plays a positive brand of soccer is on, such at melbourne victory, roar (last year)..

nothing more boring then a 0-0 draw though

Melbourne victory, positive brand of football, Ernie Merrick, they dont go together, lol.

Follow Rugby League, EPL, A League. Can watch any other sport apart from AFL

smi962

First Grade
:lol: I'm as staunch a Victorian as you can get. If that makes me less of a person, so be it, but you lot should be greatful that I'm one of the few Victorians that has embraced the code and tries to spread the word.

Nobody - I'm just saying your attitudes are identical. AFL haters in Sydney and NRL haters in Melbourne have pretty much the same rationale, which is why neither sport is making a big imprint in their respective states.

I'm well aware of this - I'm not trying to spread the gospel for AFL here. I know it isn't followed by many in Sydney - but when you ask how can people follow both codes, accept that there are those who have grown up on a diet of AFL but over time, have learnt to like and indeed, embrace, rival codes. Because we embrace a rival code does not mean we can no longer enjoy the sport we initially followed.

Again, you're preaching to the wrong choir. I accept that AFL will never be the major sporting code outside of Vic-SA-WA. I also accept the reasons why Sydneysiders (and indeed, the rest of the world) think the sport is shit. It doesn't mean though that I have to stop following the sport I grew up loving. The sports we choose are very much ingrained into our psyche dependent on where we grow up... eg: people in Vic follow AFL, NSW RL, England EPL and the USA NFL. Which goes to show, if we were all brought up in different places, we'd probably have completely different sporting passions. In any case, I'm proud to support both and will do so till the day I die. :D

I have moved down south and I thought I would eventually gain a tolerance for AFL, but it has never happened. I am serious when I ask what are the aspects of the game that are attractive for fans?

I have moved down south and I thought I would eventually gain a tolerance for AFL, but it has never happened. I am serious when I ask what are the aspects of the game that are attractive for fans?
A bit of pee pee rubbing in a motel room with your team mates seems to attract the Victorians.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Only league and union footy wise. Will never watch the nfl..and the afl. Hate those two.
I may catch a soccer game but that is a rare thing.

So for me its just league union plus other sports like cricket, ice hockey, basketball and tennis.

AuckMel

Bench
I follow many sports, but are passionate about two.

My son got his first taste of Rugby league in the last two weeks thanks to a secondary schools comp in Melbourne and absolutely loved it.

OVP

Coach
Most football codes have a presence outside the countries they were spawned in.

Any idea why AFL is still, after 150 odd years, only popular in 1/2 of one country?

I'll answer that for you, it's because it's shit.

There's Gold in them thar hills !!

Definitely sigworthy that :lol:

OVP

Coach
I follow
1. League (f**king Roosters utter bastards)
2. EPL (Villa ...just as painful as following the Roosters)
3. Ice Hockey NHL (Detroit Redwings - Detroit the second most dangerous city in the world. Only pipped by Baghdad in Iraq. Also home to the Michigan Dogman, one cool local legend) At least these guys win regularly and push for the title every year, the other two are like having my teeth pulled :)

Thats it ... also love watching Australia in the soccer and cricket and league. I used to watch the wannabes to support Australia, but i just cant take that game anymore. Its merciless kicking non stop. Enough !!!

gsweeper

Juniors
For me I love watching soccer, mainly EPL but i'm getting more and more into the A-League every year. You have to realise, League and Soccer in Australia can benefit from one another due to facilities etc, and the fact that they are played at different times of the year means neither is really a threat to one another and could potentially benefit one another eg. Newcastle Knights and Jets could strengthen the supporter base for both teams as they now fall under the same owner.

Union on the other hand, despite being the most logical code to allign with, is absolutely evil due to the fact they can tempt league players with a shitload more money. Aside from that, I do watch the occasional Test match, but never got into Super Rugby.

AFL can burn for all i care.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

I also went from indifference to despising AFL in my 6 years in Melbourne...
Massively over-rated boring as hell chipchase pushed by brainwashed insular twats who think they live in the 'best city in the world' even though they've never travelled!. Melbourne would be a great city if it could:

1) Get AFL out if its mouth

2) Get the chip off its shoulder.

Perhaps the fact that there are so many breaks in play and quarter time/ halftime breaks is what makes it so attractive. The crowd needs a break from the woeful displays on ground?

***MH***

Bench
For me I love watching soccer, mainly EPL but i'm getting more and more into the A-League every year. You have to realise, League and Soccer in Australia can benefit from one another due to facilities etc, and the fact that they are played at different times of the year means neither is really a threat to one another and could potentially benefit one another eg. Newcastle Knights and Jets could strengthen the supporter base for both teams as they now fall under the same owner.

Union on the other hand, despite being the most logical code to allign with, is absolutely evil due to the fact they can tempt league players with a shitload more money. Aside from that, I do watch the occasional Test match, but never got into Super Rugby.

AFL can burn for all i care.
This is what I had in mind when I made this thread. Apart from the obvious Newcastle venture, there are other joint opportunities such as Sydney, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne and New Zealand. The best outcome we can hope for are better shared facilities for rectangular stadiums and higher crowd numbers between a shared audience.

gsweeper

Juniors
This is what I had in mind when I made this thread. Apart from the obvious Newcastle venture, there are other joint opportunities such as Sydney, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne and New Zealand. The best outcome we can hope for are better shared facilities for rectangular stadiums and higher crowd numbers between a shared audience.

I just think its a perfect fit. A league player is a league player and will not be poached by A-League clubs. Both codes play in the same stadiums. Both codes have teams in similar locations. Both codes play at opposite times of the year. If that isn't beneficial, I don't know what is.

macavity

Referee

The thing not accounted for is many Jets fans define themselves as much by their hatred of the knights as by their love of the jets.

Check on jets scores and go to a few games a year, but love three teams: Knights, Packers and Crimson Tide. So Rugby League and American Football for me.

supercharger

Juniors
Love sports unfortunatley my teams stink
NRL--Sharks---40 years and still nothing no premierships
ESL--Wildcats---no titles or challenge cups in decades
INT RL--NZ---world cup winners and 4nations champs
NFL--Chargers---no lombardi trophy
NCAA FB-- Boise state---they got hosed by the cartel that is the bcs
CFL--Blue Bombers---longest drought in the cfl no title since 1990
MLB--Cubbies---no world series in over 100 years no pennant since 1945
Minor league baseball---Stone Crabs---no league titles since the 90's
NBA--Rockets---won back to back title in the mid 90's but now only cant make it to 2nd round and Yao retired
NCAA BB---VCU---loved watching them during march madness
NHL---San Jose---yet to win lord stanley's cup.get off to flyers and choke in the playoffs
Primera Division---San Lorenzo--- won the clausura in 2007
also keep an eye on hockey leagues in europe and Cricket
Hate MMA,Union,AFL,Horse racing Motor racing
Union as it is an Unholy Crushing Vortex Of Boredom!!
AFL bunch of uncos strugg-a-ling to kick straight

Last edited: