What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Michael Bevan Overated?

knights04

Bench
He usually is like this. By the end of the series he'll save us against India when we're struggling at 5/50 chasing 280, and maintain a career average by series end.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Another problem with Bev at the moment is that he should not be batting at 6 or 7, but then again with Symmo and Clarke in top nick, there is no other place in the order for him :?

El Diablo

Post Whore
kaon said:
Twice last season and a couple of times in the South Africa/New Zealand tri-series. They’re off the top off my head and I can't be bothered looking up the numerous other occasions.

Maybe if you made a greater effort to be more specific in your summations I could put in the time in the next few weeks.

You posted yesterday bu you still haven't managed to come up with one game let alone six.

Maybe you'll reply by next christmas :roll:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah...........he looked better.

He looked frastrated in the 70s when he could not get the ball away, and ran out Michael Clarke.

But it is a step in the right direction.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
Yeah...........he looked better.

He looked frastrated in the 70s when he could not get the ball away, and ran out Michael Clarke.

But it is a step in the right direction.

Bad call but Clarke has made some himself in this series. Thats one area I think Clarke needs to pick up his game. In the Brissie game he made some shocking calls.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't blame Clarke for yesterdays call.

To his credit he ran, instead of leaving Bevo stranded, like I would have done.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
Couldn't blame Clarke for yesterdays call.

To his credit he ran, instead of leaving Bevo stranded, like I would have done.

I wasn't. Yesterday was Bevans bad call but I think Clarkes calls in a few other games have been pretty poor. I think he ran out someone in 1 game and in another, had there been direct hits, he would've run out a few more.

I hadn't really noticed it much before this series so maybe they were just a few one offs.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Kaon, where are the 6 games from the last 2-3 years?

We only lost 11, as I've said numerous times, yet you still have not come up with one.

You've had well over a month to do it. Surely it can't be that hard?

It took me bugger all to do your challenge.

Iafeta

Referee
From a New Zealander's perspective, it seems a lot in the past 2-3 seasons in ODI's there's only been a 5-10% difference in most games. Some games Australia, as they do to everyone, have blasted us out of the water. But in most, its been relatively tight. In my opinion, the two key differences are:-

* Australia's fielding and running between the wickets. I genuinely believe John Bracewell's philosophy is all about negating that - the fielding against the Pakistanis was second to none, and the running between the wickets bordered on cheeky.

* Michael Bevan. I can't count how many times he's played through the last 20 overs, and in seemingly impossible positions pulled Australia through. I remember a game in India he got only 50 odd, but it righted the ship when Australia were 4-60 chasing 240 odd. Against other teams, from 4-60, its all over red rover. Against Bevan, its not. In the World Cup, theres no way conceivable from 7-83 Australia could win. Bevan got them into the position where Lee could thunderbolt us. In our last World Series venture where NZ won 3-1, the one game we lost was when Australia was 6-80 chasing 230 odd, and Bevan did the unthinkable and pulled a game out of his rear.

He's just absolutely phenomonal. He seems to have a clear temperament, and an ability to think situations through. Thats the mark of a top notch player. Plus, a player who's able to be overrated doesn't have 60 odd first class tons to his name and an average of nigh on 60.

SirShire

First Grade
Iafeta said:
From a New Zealander's perspective, it seems a lot in the past 2-3 seasons in ODI's there's only been a 5-10% difference in most games. Some games Australia, as they do to everyone, have blasted us out of the water. But in most, its been relatively tight. In my opinion, the two key differences are:-

* Australia's fielding and running between the wickets. I genuinely believe John Bracewell's philosophy is all about negating that - the fielding against the Pakistanis was second to none, and the running between the wickets bordered on cheeky.

* Michael Bevan. I can't count how many times he's played through the last 20 overs, and in seemingly impossible positions pulled Australia through. I remember a game in India he got only 50 odd, but it righted the ship when Australia were 4-60 chasing 240 odd. Against other teams, from 4-60, its all over red rover. Against Bevan, its not. In the World Cup, theres no way conceivable from 7-83 Australia could win. Bevan got them into the position where Lee could thunderbolt us. In our last World Series venture where NZ won 3-1, the one game we lost was when Australia was 6-80 chasing 230 odd, and Bevan did the unthinkable and pulled a game out of his rear.

He's just absolutely phenomonal. He seems to have a clear temperament, and an ability to think situations through. Thats the mark of a top notch player. Plus, a player who's able to be overrated doesn't have 60 odd first class tons to his name and an average of nigh on 60.

Well said! 100% correct

Latest posts