What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Michael Bevan Overated?

budz

Juniors
Well IMO the first thing you hvae to consider when you want to work out if he is over rated is how well rated he is. I think he is a very good batsman in ODIs but to say he is the best is just bullshit. I think there are plenty of better ODI batsman around.

Iafeta

Referee
Especially against us McSharkie. He's like the hoodoo at the end of Bledisloe Cup matches, something you know's going to happen but you just cannot stop from hapepning. Class act.

El Diablo

Post Whore
on the 5th of January kaon said:
Maybe if you made a greater effort to be more specific in your summations I could put in the time in the next few weeks.

Still waiting for those 6 matches, Kaon.

remember this?

on the 23rd of December kaon said:
In the last 2-3 years he has lost us about 6 matches due to him protecting his average.

Now I gave you the scorecards to the games he helped save us in because you wanted me to be "more specific". When will you be able to do like wise? You've had nearly two months for christs sake.

Paj8

Juniors
i reckon beven should be in the test team he is a marvolus batsmen what about clarke not getting choosen to go to srilanka what is that about?

wittyz chick

Coach
well i dnt think Clarke shud worry bout that...Brett Lee noted in his column(Sun-Herald) that Clarke was a notable omission but he(Lee)and the rest of the Aussie team know he has a big future ahead
ED...Kaon's not gonna come up wid them not even by Christmas

Meth

Staff member
LOL

I haven't seen many players that can choreograph a match winning innings like Bevan.

El Diablo

Post Whore
El Duque said:
kaon said:
Twice last season and a couple of times in the South Africa/New Zealand tri-series. They’re off the top off my head and I can't be bothered looking up the numerous other occasions.

Maybe if you made a greater effort to be more specific in your summations I could put in the time in the next few weeks.

You posted yesterday bu you still haven't managed to come up with one game let alone six.

Maybe you'll reply by next christmas :roll:

Still waiting on those games.

JJ

Immortal
Chicken_Hunter said:
bevan is the best one day batsman ever.

If that's how he's rated, then he is over-rated.

A very fine player coming in at 6 or 7. Has dragged Aust through on numerous occasions due to intelligent batting. But there have been many better one-day batsmen - much ismade of his wonderful average, but he bats low and has many n/o s.

Certainly, with the game on the line, and a run a ball needed, he'll get you there more often than not - invaluable - but not the best ever. Not even the best Australian ever

Ron Jeremy

Coach
In the Austalian one day cricket side there was a saying " if Michael Bevan was at the crease at the end of the game.....we knew we won", it's a very good statement aswell because can you think of many times ( any actually) when he was at the crease at the end of the game and we hadn't won the game?

He was a great player, could get you frustrated by the amount of time he took to find his way......but boy when he did??...those gaps to the boundary just opened up everywhere!

Anonymous

Juniors
JJ said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
much ismade of his wonderful average, but he bats low and has many n/o s.

Check the average of other number 6s and 7s. Bevan would have a better average if he batted earlier imo. Too many times he was left to try and bash as many runs as he could off 5 overs. He's best postion without doubt was number 4.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Balmain_Boy said:
JJ said:
Chicken_Hunter said:
much ismade of his wonderful average, but he bats low and has many n/o s.

Check the average of other number 6s and 7s. Bevan would have a better average if he batted earlier imo. Too many times he was left to try and bash as many runs as he could off 5 overs. He's best postion without doubt was number 4.

Stats back up 4 was his best position http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerPositions_ODI.asp?PlayerID=2002

Anonymous

Juniors
There ya go. I don't think we saw the best of Bevan. Honestly. He was never allowed to bat where he could truly set himself.

Greenblooded

Juniors
I thought this was a joke when I read the topic, Bevo overated? give yourself an uppercut! :lol:

He is one of the most influential one day batsmen ever!!

Anonymous

Juniors
JJ said:
Chicken_Hunter said:

If that's how he's rated, then he is over-rated.

A very fine player coming in at 6 or 7. Has dragged Aust through on numerous occasions due to intelligent batting. But there have been many better one-day batsmen - much ismade of his wonderful average, but he bats low and has many n/o s.

How come he is the only no. 6 or 7 batsman in one-day history to have benefitted like that? Most players coming in down the order have lower averages if anything. It doesn't make sense to say not outs have boosted his average, because no other player in the entire history of one-day cricket has managed to do the same thing. Bevan is a statistical phenomenon, his record is unparalleled. Best ODI bat ever IMO.