What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Andrew O'Keefe and Dean Laidley were both good at their jobs at some point.

It's crystal clear that Ricky is a total f**kwit. Defending him now pretty much means you're on the bus with the idiot

You won't see anyone more critical of stick than me mate. We are woefully old fashioned. We looked slow as hell compared to the youthful, skilled fast broncos. It was a reminder of everything we struggle with

He clearly did "amount to shit" though. He was an excellent player.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
You won't see anyone more critical of stick than me mate. We are woefully old fashioned. We looked slow as hell compared to the youthful, skilled fast broncos. It was a reminder of everything we struggle with

He clearly did "amount to shit" though. He was an excellent player.
Excellent player yes I agree 100%
This thread is about his coaching ability or lack thereof.
Talking about what he achieved as a player is pointless

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Excellent player yes I agree 100%
This thread is about his coaching ability or lack thereof.
Talking about what he achieved as a player is pointless

He took the most mediocre team of the nrl era to a gf.

He's been exposed by the post 2020 rules. I want him sacked. It is just hilarious when people like IBM call out anyone's achievements. He's almost certainly the worst coach to coach as long as he has but he has done some good things for the Raiders.

Like what's IBM done in life ? Become a LU meme for not knowing who Jason Smith is??

Chimp

Bench
Agree Jordan is a liability. Disagree that Kris is a better option at fullback. Jordan is a better playmaker, better positionally, better one on one defensively and better under the high ball. As someone who insanely watches this team every week I'd go as far to day Kris is one of the worst fullbacks in the comp.

Not that I'd see Jordan as anything more than a stop gap but at least the guy can pass the ball.

Edit

I'm not having a go at Kris either really. He is doing his best he's just not suited to playing in the spine

Kris has 3 try assists after playing almost the entire year at fullback. Rapana has 8
I’m not saying Kris is a better option, or that he’s any good (though he has appeared one of your better performers in the games Ive watched).
The point is, your dumb ass coach has played him at 1 all season, then randomly sticks him on the wing, Wighton in the centre etc etc.
So, if your point is right about Rapana being the obvious better option of the 2 to play fullback, why hasn’t Stuart picked it that way all year - either way, Ricky is a dumbass, a very ‘passionate’ dumbass, but a dumbass all the same.
Genuinely think the pressure is getting to Sticky, he looks like a very tired old man all
of a sudden - like he’s got the weight of the world on his shoulders - whilst I think he’s a bit of a sooky prick and a sore loser, I’m led to believe he’s a very good man away from the game, so I’d hope the game isn’t having an impact on his mental health, he doesn’t look or act like he’s in a good place. If he worked for Gus, I reckon Gus would have decided he was tired and needed a rest!

THE CHAMP

First Grade
He took the most mediocre team of the nrl era to a gf.

He's been exposed by the post 2020 rules. I want him sacked. It is just hilarious when people like IBM call out anyone's achievements. He's almost certainly the worst coach to coach as long as he has but he has done some good things for the Raiders.

Like what's IBM done in life ? Become a LU meme for not knowing who Jason Smith is??
When it comes to Ricky the bad overwhelming outweighs the good

nswarrior

Juniors
When the coach can only blame the referee each and everytime. Worse still, create some conspiracy theories on the NRL is against them there will be no accountability throughout the playing team and coaches.

The Raiders have some excellent players but Ricky is the reason we aren’t seeing the best from the Raiders consistently.

He is so emotional and erratic the whole team suffers.

Until the Raiders move on from him completely they won’t perform at their best consistently

mongoose

Coach
I’m not saying Kris is a better option, or that he’s any good (though he has appeared one of your better performers in the games Ive watched).
The point is, your dumb ass coach has played him at 1 all season, then randomly sticks him on the wing, Wighton in the centre etc etc.
So, if your point is right about Rapana being the obvious better option of the 2 to play fullback, why hasn’t Stuart picked it that way all year - either way, Ricky is a dumbass, a very ‘passionate’ dumbass, but a dumbass all the same.
Genuinely think the pressure is getting to Sticky, he looks like a very tired old man all
of a sudden - like he’s got the weight of the world on his shoulders - whilst I think he’s a bit of a sooky prick and a sore loser, I’m led to believe he’s a very good man away from the game, so I’d hope the game isn’t having an impact on his mental health, he doesn’t look or act like he’s in a good place. If he worked for Gus, I reckon Gus would have decided he was tired and needed a rest!
Kris is freakishly good under the high ball, he can make metres quite well but everything else about his game at fullback is bottom tier.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Kris is freakishly good under the high ball, he can make metres quite well but everything else about his game at fullback is bottom tier.

Stick keeping hoppa in the team for ages even when it became clear he was squad filler level makes it clear metres is king for stick.

Speed, play making, etc are secondary concerns

When the coach can only blame the referee each and everytime. Worse still, create some conspiracy theories on the NRL is against them there will be no accountability throughout the playing team and coaches.

The Raiders have some excellent players but Ricky is the reason we aren’t seeing the best from the Raiders consistently.

He is so emotional and erratic the whole team suffers.

Until the Raiders move on from him completely they won’t perform at their best consistently

Historically when he’s at a club it goes well for a period but when the wheels start to fall off he rarely brings it back. At the Sharks he was in the prelims in 2008 and in 2009 it was a disaster. As soon as he lost Freddy to retirement & Mini to injury it was a complete shit show. At the Eels he never really got off the ground.

Surely the Raiders know now is the time to cut their losses and move on.

skeepe

Immortal
Stick keeping hoppa in the team for ages even when it became clear he was squad filler level makes it clear metres is king for stick.

Speed, play making, etc are secondary concerns
Yeah see I totally agree with you on Hoppa, which is why I was really confused by the media commentary around his rib injury, calling him an “in-form winger” and a “huge loss for the Raiders”.

Are they seeing the same Hopoate I am?

skeepe

Immortal
Historically when he’s at a club it goes well for a period but when the wheels start to fall off he rarely brings it back. At the Sharks he was in the prelims in 2008 and in 2009 it was a disaster. As soon as he lost Freddy to retirement & Mini to injury it was a complete shit show. At the Eels he never really got off the ground.

Surely the Raiders know now is the time to cut their losses and move on.
This is the “family farm”. We don’t do that at the Raiders.

The following excerpts should give everyone on the outside who doesn’t know the history a little idea of what we have to deal with - and why Ricky has a job for as long as he wants it. The decision mentioned at the start is when David Furner was sacked as coach

The fall out from the decision was felt at the highest levels of the club, with chair John McIntyre saying the sacking didn’t sit comfortably with him.

McIntyre was the Raiders’ inaugural boss and his father, Les, was the club’s first chair. Don Furner Snr was coach. They were the key drivers behind Canberra’s entry to the NSWRL. Without them, there would be no Raiders.

Such was the anguish at having to sack David Furner, given his long-standing relationship with the Furner family, JR, as John McIntyre is widely known, felt that he had no option but to step down as chair.

JR handed over the role to his childhood friend growing up in Queanbeyan, Dr Allan Hawke, a man who had carved out an incredible career in the public service.

….

Ricky and CEO Don Furner are great mates since their time in the same year and the same rugby teams at St Edmund’s College.

With Ricky as the coach, Don as the CEO, Allan Hawke as the chair and John McIntyre as the club patron, there is as strong a bond as you will find in sport. The origins of that friendship from their Queanbeyan days include John McIntyre as a key figure in developing a dynasty through relationships.

From: https://aboutregional.com.au/the-relationships-that-bind-the-green-machine/

As a fan, it really feels like there’s no expectation of success, no pressure on the coach. And it’s because they’re all best of mates, just having a laugh.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah see I totally agree with you on Hoppa, which is why I was really confused by the media commentary around his rib injury, calling him an “in-form winger” and a “huge loss for the Raiders”.

Are they seeing the same Hopoate I am?

The weird thing is that defensively his lack of speed was really hurting the side. He had a terrible turning circle and would get caught out of position. The stereotype of stick was that he's this gritty defensive guy but the edges hes been picking are dire defensively..

He legitimately run out an edge of frawley, Croker and hoppa a week or so ago. That's just asking to be shredded by any speed at all.

His stubbornness on the value of speed is annoying

Wb1234

Immortal
2019 isn’t that long ago

Isaac Moses telling Bateman he would get more than 800k is why the club fell apart

I’ve always liked stick

maybe he’s been too long at Canberra but he can take over from Freddy tomorrow

Ricky Stuart is rugby league royalty

I always hope there’s a place in the game for him

even loz being relegated to a gambling promoter is poor for a legend of the game