What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Smith doing the right thing in Newcastle

Is Brian Smith doing the right thing in Newcastle?

• Yes he is right on the money in his decisions so far

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Yes - But I do not agree with the way he has gone about the club cleanout

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • No he should be shown the door at the first chance

Votes: 8 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Innconu

Juniors
Okay so the Gutless thread has raised the question do the supporters beleive in Smith's clean out or not.

So here is a chance for everyone to vote and give an opinion without fear of a flame job from other posters. Or you can add commentary and tell us all what you think of his position in the club and if the cleanout is appropriate

Stranger

Coach
I would be close to getting rid of the bloke. Made alot of right moves but the players don't respond to him anymore.

Cleaned out well, signed well but he wont get the players up next week, how will he get most of the same blokes up next year?

The Devil

Bench
Has recruited well and cleaned out the deadwood and nuffies in our team. There was always going to be players unsettled with the cleanout and the injuries we've suffered haven't helped Smith one bit. Also in Smiths favour is that many other coaches would not have taken the hard line

Next year with our new players coming in ready and willing to play will change the minds of some of our other players who have gotten too used to the Hagan-era coaching.

perverse

Referee
option 2 for me.. although it's hard to tell what is a petulant child whinging to the papers and what is genuine mismanagement with the situation.

darkness

Juniors
In reality he had to do something but to the extreme that it happend is questionable. In all fairness who says it is all his doing, my money is a higher power has pushed this agenda and smith is half a puppet, no doubt with his own ideas thrown in to the mix.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I still think we needed to bring in somebody with more thoroughly developed man management skills to handle the coaching and management side of things. It's clear Smith has a great eye for talent and a strong administrative game - but it's also clear that he's not at all good at motivating his players or playing diplomat.

bulldog

Bench
I don't know wether the decisions he's made are the right ones or not, but it's a bit harsh to judge him so soon. Joeys absence is probably making this a whole lot more difficult than it would have been otherwise, he would have been the focus for the media and all the players would have been going out week after week to try and send him out a winner.

The worst thing you could do now as a club IMO is not give the bloke a chance to at least leave the club in a good position talent wise, just look at all the kids Parra are bringing through and those that have come through under BS. He may not win you guys a premiership, but he can leave you in a far better position than you are now.

roopy

Referee
I haven't agreed with every decision - but he is heading down the right track.
On the other hand - coaches like Ryan and Rielly only stayed at the Knights for a few seasons and i really think 2 or perhaps 3 years is all a coach should stay - no more 5 year coaches i say.

fred_knight

Juniors
you know my stance,
club didnt need full overhaul, just fine tune a few things, the players dont respect Brian Smith and therefore it shows on the paddock. the club and the city and fans have dealt with a lot of probs over the years and i dont think this will make things better..for me, show him the door

Misanthrope

Staff member
I wonder if it's that guy who miraculously registered an account in time to agree with him last night?

fred_knight

Juniors
are you all missing the point here, why is everyone against me and my opinion.look at the stats peeps.
5 people so far say he is right on the money- 15 say he has gone about the wrong way.which is what i said in my very first post, so..hate on me...do your best

and please dont use this thread to start the gutless one all over again, im sure people are sick of it, stop following suit and just answer the question asked

Misanthrope

Staff member
look at the stats peeps.

What stats would you like to draw our attention to? We're aware that the club is running second last and copping thrashings left, right, and centre - but the blame can't be attributed entirely to Smith. We've got another classic injury toll, we had the best player in the game retire three weeks into the campaign, and we've got Smith doing what the board has asked him to do in cleaning out the vast pile of dead wood left behind after Michael Hagan left the club.

I voted that it could have been done better because I still think a two man coaching team could have avoided some of the ugliness regarding Reynoldson and Newton. Someone in the Hagan mould would have been a good person to handle the diplomatic side of things. This would have allowed Smith to do his job of being the 'bad guy' while the players had a shoulder to cry on.

fred_knight

Juniors
Misanthrope said:
What stats would you like to draw our attention to? We're aware that the club is running second last and copping thrashings left, right, and centre - but the blame can't be attributed entirely to Smith. We've got another classic injury toll, we had the best player in the game retire three weeks into the campaign, and we've got Smith doing what the board has asked him to do in cleaning out the vast pile of dead wood left behind after Michael Hagan left the club.

I voted that it could have been done better because I still think a two man coaching team could have avoided some of the ugliness regarding Reynoldson and Newton. Someone in the Hagan mould would have been a good person to handle the diplomatic side of things. This would have allowed Smith to do his job of being the 'bad guy' while the players had a shoulder to cry on.

Which is what i said in my very first post last night, about the way he has gone about it and how i thought he was messing the club up, and i think i called him an a$$hole.but then i got attacked, got my back up and stood up for my self, you all would have done the same thing, hell you are standing up for yoursleves now

fred_knight

Juniors
Dilmah said:
No, its not what you said. You said he should be gone.

That's option 3 - two people.

i was referring to the 1st post last night Dilmah, but yes i have now voted for option 3 cause i belive this poll is designed to be prejudiced against me and judging by the comments i feel im right.but i dont care anymore, i was more upset lastnight after the loss and after calming down today realised i shouldnt have bothered net waring last night, i got better things to do, but im not going to cop crap from all and sundry for having an opinion, if people had of said, fred i dont agree with you but cheers for having an opinion it would have been end of story, but i was told to sut the f**k up, called names ranked out, bagged, ,ganged up on all that sh*t, but im still here with my sanity.

Misanthrope

Staff member
i got attacked, got my back up and stood up for my self, you all would have done the same thing, hell you are standing up for yoursleves now

You'll notice I left you alone until you decided to attack me randomly in another thread.

I don't think Smith is messing the club up. I think he's doing what needs to be done. It doesn't help that he obviously steps on a few toes while doing it - but the players' attitudes are more to blame than anything Smith has done. If he did a similar cleanout at other clubs there'd be some issues - but not nearly the amount of whinging and bitching.