What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the McGoldrick the best centre we have available ?

Sharkie73

Bench
I heard Goldy was gunna be dropped 2 weeks ago until I think he's name is Beau Scott? got injured and Mellor still hadn't had much game time in PL so Goldy stayed in. So if this info was true then the problem has been there for a few weeks and the decision to drop Goldy was not as sudden as this appears to be.

White Poiner

Coach
yeah we dont need any has beens in our club sad shark, robbie is to old. This is really shit that zeus is gettin dropped but at least it is for mellor, he will do the job nicely.

tye

Juniors
Raper seems to be starting to make a few tough decisions lately (if this is true)
First with Lomu and now Goldy....His form has been very average, no line breaks and plenty of missed tackles in important areas of the field, Raper has to explore all options and is doing a very good job trying to get the best 17 on the field every week.....Covel was warned after the parra game, so im sure Goldy would have had the same talking to, Covell responded and Goldy hasnt...bye bye Goldy and look out Simmo

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
tye said:
Raper seems to be starting to make a few tough decisions lately (if this is true)
First with Lomu and now Goldy....His form has been very average, no line breaks and plenty of missed tackles in important areas of the field, hasnt...bye bye Goldy and look out Simmo

Tye. How has Kimmorley, Dykes & Vagana been going?

pogo

Juniors
well bk s got stumpy legs that cant run , misses tackles and has a shithouse kicking game, the centre gets paid too much and dykes is a reincarnation of poppa clay roger millward and wally lewis.

but the coach is shithouse!!

whats dean pay doing???

whattya you reckon guru of the forum?? :lol:

tye

Juniors
GREAT all 3 have started the season on fire. They make the big plays when it matters....Those 3 that you have picked out are the main reason we are in 5th position and on the rise..........Does that answer your question that you so nicely asked?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The reason I ask Tye is because those 3 are the leading missed tackle merchants of our team.

Vagana misses every second tackle. e is injured & cannot lift his arm. He wears a brace to restrict movement. It is alos affecting his passing. That is why the winger on that side, sees no ball. Despite 60-70 of all wide movement going in that direction with BK.

You say Goldy deserved it, maybe he did. But where is the consistency from the coach & applying the standards across the team.

Maybe this had something to do with Lindsay getting Raper out of their ASAP after many dubious selection for Wigan ending in a pre game fight with one of his players?

And POGO. Medication time.

BeenThere

Juniors
tye said:
....Covel was warned after the parra game, so im sure Goldy would have had the same talking to, Covell responded and Goldy hasnt...bye bye Goldy and look out Simmo
I can state categorically that NO SUCH TALK was ever had -- in FACT the reverse.

tye

Juniors
WE need those 3 in the team to win.They can turn a match in an instant.Goldy cant do that. He just doesnt offer what those 3 can and other options need to be explored and Raper is doing that..........

BeenThere

Juniors
tye said:
WE need those 3 in the team to win.They can turn a match in an instant.Goldy cant do that. He just doesnt offer what those 3 can and other options need to be explored and Raper is doing that..........
You (and Raper) are entitled to your opinion -- just like facts to be involved as the basis. ;-)

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Why do we need Vagana & not Goldy? because he gets paid more? Because of what he did at the dogs? because he has scored 2 tries this year?
Because he has missed 12 tackles this year to Goldys 5. & goldy has made nearly 20 more?
So you subjectively think Vagana should be there because of what he did at the dogs? Because he has good games for the Sharks? Well after 26 games, I am not seeing the 350k per season value there.

Dont get me wrong, I think Vagana should be there too. But dont you think Vagana was letting the side down more defensively, providing less ball for his winger, & for the money, providing very little in the way of attack?

pogo

Juniors
ryan mcgoldricks defence has been an issue for quite some time now as was highlighted in an article in big league ( rd 20 ) last season.

the article was quite scathing and cites mcgoldricks average missed tackles per game as 4 and states that he was the 8th worst based on missed tackles.....not the 8 th worst center , the 8th worst player in terms of missed tackles in the nrl.

the article also criticised full back david simmons and centre nigel vagana to be fair.

i havent seen a great deal of improvement in mcgoldricks play this season, to me he never seems to threaten to break the line whilst vagana and simmons definitely seem capable of that.

supporting footy is an emotive issue for many followers, but not so much for coaches and their staff, raper , gentle and aaron raper know the game far better than any one on this forum, and i reckon later in the year the will be proven right in many areas.

coolumsharkie

Referee
BeenThere said:
tye said:
....Covel was warned after the parra game, so im sure Goldy would have had the same talking to, Covell responded and Goldy hasnt...bye bye Goldy and look out Simmo
I can state categorically that NO SUCH TALK was ever had -- in FACT the reverse.

Does this mean that Raper praised Covell?

So how much dissention is there in the ranks BT?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Well what is improvement the Mr Pogo.
Not getting your average missed tackle rate down from 4 to less than 1?
The way I see it, Vagana is the one who has not improved.

Isurus

Juniors
You (and Raper) are entitled to your opinion -- just like facts to be involved as the basis

BT - If you feel you can share with us the general theme of discussions between Raper and Ryan over his axing to PL, that would be great.

Also interested in an answer to coolums question about dissention in the ranks?

And I agree with BTR - Goldy's defence was often criticised last year, but it looks much stronger this year. I don't see how defence could have been a reason for his demotion. Maybe a lack of spark in attack.

Anyway, lets he hope he kills it in PL and can force his way back in.

Latest posts