What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the NRL doin anything to keep Issy here?

Parra

Referee
Admit it, you want him to sign for yawnion don't you?, like others have said he won't be missed, and he will come crawling back when he gets sick of catching a cold out on the wing.

It is an interesting choice of words you chose "crawling back". You have reinforced the attitude I am highlighting. Makes you sound up yourself.

I wouldn't say Rogers or Tahu came crawling back. They are professional footy players who went from RL to RU for better money and they returned for the same reason.

Other recent returns from RU had no choice. They were shown the door and had to go overseas or NRL.

None of this explains the bitterness that is directed towards players who choose to leave the code, even if it is only temporary, or in Folau's case, only a rumour. Some people are very fickle , fair-weather fans.

bronco_buddy

Juniors
Probably should have put this thread on a broncos or qld forum.
These sydney club and blues supporters would be happy to see the back of him.
I bet there wasn't the same attitude when Johns was a bee's dick away from joining rugby.

applesauce

Bench
We miss out of players best years as they earn plenty of cash somewhere else.

And then they come "crawling back" as their price drops in other sports only to get paid a premium back in the NRL once their best years are behind them.

Who is the real loser in all of this????

Yet most of you encourage it to continue.....

Yeah, the NRL should throw a million at him. Great message it sends. If you say you're going to another code we'll throw a million at you to stay. Once we go to that sh*t everyone will say they want to jump ship.

applesauce

Bench
Yeah, the NRL should throw a million at him. Great message it sends. If you say you're going to another code we'll throw a million at you to stay. Once we go to that sh*t everyone will say they want to jump ship.

That is a moronic way to look at it.

A central contract system or higher rep payments will keep the best in the game and give players something to strive for.

No-one in their right mind would pander to any individual player leaving the NRL.

But fixing the problem (which their clearly is after reading what players have been saying) before it gets out of hand for the premier players in the game top 25 or 50 would be the smart thing to do.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Every human being on earth is greedy,we all want more money,stop complaining because these dudes earn a million times more then yourself you plodders.

40/20

Juniors
Every human being on earth is greedy,we all want more money,stop complaining because these dudes earn a million times more then yourself you plodders.
Wrong money isn't everything and i am not greedy i recently sat down with my boss and worked out a way that guys with familys could get more money end result is i gave up $200 per week i work 5 days per week and take home just over $400 a week
But i'm happy and i dont begrudge people earning as much as they can i just had people whinging about it.

40/20

Juniors
Also haynetrain i suggest you google pat tillman ex NFL footballer who turned his back on a $1.2 million per year contract with the cardinals joined the rangers and was killed in afghanistan
Soldiers only make $17,000 per year

_Johnsy

Referee
Probably should have put this thread on a broncos or qld forum.
These sydney club and blues supporters would be happy to see the back of him.
I bet there wasn't the same attitude when Johns was a bee's dick away from joining rugby.

2 points to consider

Izzy is not 1/4 of the footballer Johns was.

Johns did not go.

Mickyd39

Juniors
No your right. But if the parties involved pull their finger out and the independent commission got off the ground we would have 1 body covering that and therefore look into payments.

Thanks for confirming that.

I agree, bring on the Independent Comission. There are too many RLs in the game.

Last edited:

bronco_buddy

Juniors
2 points to consider

Izzy is not 1/4 of the footballer Johns was.

Johns did not go.

Well for starters i wasn't comparing Izzy to Johns, just the situation he finds himself in. I'm sure there wasn't the 'if he wants to go f**k him' that I keep reading about when Johns future was up in the air. The NRL & NSWRL would have and most likely did move heaven and earth to keep him there. And what a great role model he turned out to be.
And has Israel even signed or announced anything yet?
He may even stay witht the Broncos yet.

Last edited:

simostorm

Bench
Ok Einstein , how do you propose the NRL keep these players, without any clubs going broke?

This should be good.

Theres been a THOUSAND ideas thrown around, increase 3rd party payments, marquee player playments, Bruno Cullins ideas etc etc.. list goes on..

simostorm

Bench
Talk about an all time backfire with this thread.

f**k him off. The NRL shouldnt have to do anything to keep him.

Not a backfire at all. All it does show is that you sydney halfwitts are willing to let the best players go to other codes.

simostorm

Bench
Pete, they allowed 3 rd party deals within the NRL guidelines.

We do remember how that worked out with gaz don't we, they didn't pay up and he had to take a $500k pay cut or get better $$$ elsewhere. The game does not miss Gaz, & it wont miss Izzy.

Dumb. Gaz and all the other stars that should have stayed that have gone to Union and UK has been a HUGE loss. Sailor and Tuquri and Tahu should never have gone to Union. The NRL should have stepped in.

simostorm

Bench
NRL could increase rep payments. Wouldn't affect the clubs at all. Unfortunately if they are to be believed the NRL doesn't have any spare money sitting around.

Which brings us back to this point - stop bitching players, change will hopefully come in 2013. Before then, you'll just have to make do with your $400,000 a year...

Thats the whole point, they wont and are NOT staying for there 400k a year.. more will go if things stay the same.

simostorm

Bench
Except none of them are leaving and if I recall correctly....at least two of those (and it will possibly be 3) knocked back rival code offers.

Here's a newsflash for you, Izzy on good money, wants more and will be leaving, it's his choice and the NRL will survive without him.
Willie Tonga has no issues taking his place in the Maroons squad, might as well leave now as hopefully Mal won't pick him.

I think that perhaps some arguing about making an effort to keep players don't really understand that RL is f**king broke....where is the money to offer out superstars going to come from? The money tree?

I hate hearing that rubbish. "NRL will survive without him"

Survive.. in other words.. lose ground, and work to make it up again..

RUBBISH.

Keep these players in the game.

bartman

Immortal
Who cares? Let the greedy merkins go, and then simply forget they ever existed and enjoy the next young stars that come through in their place.

If anything, league should invest the money (if it existed!) that these elite players think is their god-given right, into the junior league nurseries. That's where the game's future lies, not in some whinging moron who's eyes have gotten too big for their wallet.

simostorm

Bench
ahhh.. i remem when i made this post. I still had what turned out to be a foolish hope that Gallop and his cronies would do something to keep this kid in the NRL.