What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Swannies media coverage in Sydney justified?

Is the Swannies current media coverage in Sydney justified?

• Yes

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • No real opinion

Votes: 15 8.3%

• Total voters

Dutch Oven

Juniors
I believe the AFL is gradually eating away at rugby league's media space in Sydney and I'm not just talking about the last fortnight. The difference between this time and 96 is the AFL are cashed up to the max and have an extremely thorough gameplan in place to make it really work this time. The difference between Rugby Union, Soccer and Basketball is that AFL is all over free to air television in Sydney it is something that will not go away and the more improved media coverage it gets will certainly come at the expence of rugby league because rugby league has the most ground to give in terms of media space. It's just logical.

But I could be wrong, I was once before I think.

Dutch Oven said:
I believe the AFL is gradually eating away at rugby league's media space in Sydney and I'm not just talking about the last fortnight..

There are more things in the media here than rugby league, and I'm not just talking in sport terms either - everything. AFL has gotten sizeable coverage in the last 3-4 weeks. Before that - no different and nothing spectacular. I wonder why..

Dutch Oven said:
The difference between this time and 96 is the AFL are cashed up to the max and have an extremely thorough gameplan in place to make it really work this time.

"Really make it work this time"?? The only difference from 96 is that they have been here longer, and this year they won a comp. How else is it different now??

Dutch Oven said:
The difference between Rugby Union, Soccer and Basketball is that AFL is all over free to air television in Sydney it is something that will not go away and the more improved media coverage it gets will certainly come at the expence of rugby league because rugby league has the most ground to give in terms of media space. It's just logical..

Two words. Iron Chef.

Dutch Oven said:

I'm not trying to be a smart arse, but I've seen and heard these all before. And so far words has been all it is. I would consider AFL has gained a successful foothold in Sydney - but to say its gonna take on league for overall popularity is fairytale stuff - they are mere words.

Green Machine

First Grade
Dutch Oven said:
I believe the AFL is gradually eating away at rugby league's media space in Sydney and I'm not just talking about the last fortnight. The difference between this time and 96 is the AFL are cashed up to the max and have an extremely thorough gameplan in place to make it really work this time. The difference between Rugby Union, Soccer and Basketball is that AFL is all over free to air television in Sydney it is something that will not go away and the more improved media coverage it gets will certainly come at the expence of rugby league because rugby league has the most ground to give in terms of media space. It's just logical.

You might be right, you could be wrong…

The NRL now have a $100m TV contract and the AFL has to negotiate their contract with Channel 7 and Channel 10, which looks like they will have no opposition from Channel 9. PBL, Foxtel, Telstra and News Ltd are now in court with Kerry Stokes over the allegations of collusion to pay over the odds for the last AFL TV contract. I would be pretty game of them to do that what they are being accused of, in the current climate. The AFL might have left the negotiations a bit too late and have only one bidder. Add on top of the NRL’s Friday Night Double Headers on Channel 9 next season with one game “Live” and Sunday afternoon “Live” coverage might push the AFL right out of the TV spot light,

iggy plop

First Grade
Dutch Oven said:
SO you are saying the AFL is not a threat in Sydney :lol:

You obvioulsy haven't seen the plans footy has for Sydney my friend. They are already making inroads through Auskick programs and the media if you haven't noticed and the fab result last Saturday will only accelerate the process. The AFL aren't here to be number two, they don't have international expansion to strive for so they are putting all their eggs into the Sydney basket. Even the NSW government is on side with us. We know how fickle most Sydney sports fans are and the AFL will do everything to try and turn that fickleness into a weekly passion which will be become a reailty when a second side is introduced within 10 years. As they said on those Channel 10 ads last year, AFL IS EVERYWHERE!

Nah bugger it you AFL guys can have Sydney, just keep the SFS rectangular because I like going to that ground. Otherwise it's all yours.

lotti

Bench
Dutch Oven said:

At least a rival code is getting media coverage in NSW, NRL gets bugger all media coverage in Victoria even though they have a team, at least 3 origin players in that team, they won the NRL premiership their second year in the comp and they're from an AFL mad state, a winger that was born in Moony Ponds that could rival any of the QLD and NSW born wingers.

iggy plop

First Grade
lotti said:
At least a rival code is getting media coverage in NSW, NRL gets bugger all media coverage in Victoria even though they have a team, at least 3 origin players in that team, they won the NRL premiership their second year in the comp and they're from an AFL mad state, a winger that was born in Moony Ponds that could rival any of the QLD and NSW born wingers.

The Storm could win a comp with a whole team of Victorian born players and the Melbourne media wouldn't give a stuff.

The Tank

Bench
I've been disappointed with the GF coverage so far this week in comparison with the VicRules final.

I can't stand watching Ten and listening to Nova... I don't mind VicRules but too much is too much.

iggy plop

First Grade
The Tank said:
I've been disappointed with the GF coverage so far this week in comparison with the VicRules final.

I can't stand watching Ten and listening to Nova... I don't mind VicRules but too much is too much.

Yep.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The Tank said:

The thing is that the AFL can pay in the facinity of 10 million on advertising as they can afford it! The NRL would be struggling to come out with that cash just for promotion. You will see more after Thursday!

Pantherjim.

Referee
Joking aside, with Sydney N.R.L. fans being as fickle and as fairweather as they are, a Swans premiership, talk of introducing a second A.F.L. club in Sydney and Auskick sky-rocketing in popularity, do I need to spell out the dire consequences this could have for the N.R.L.?

The A.F.L. is a business people, and like any business it wishes to expand and profit. It has no interest in expanding internationally like the N.R.L. is endeavouring to do. It doesn't need to, it has a strong enough market in this country alone, and if they have to grow at the expense of other codes like ours, they will. We are simply In their way.

Business is like war. Mark my words, regardless of what the Daily Telegraph tells you, the A.F.L. is a predator, and it's open season on our beloved code. David Gallop and the N.R.L. executives need to sit down, take a good hard look at themselves and come up with some answers before it's too late.

Pantherjim.

iggy plop

First Grade
Pantherjim. said:
Joking aside, with Sydney N.R.L. fans being as fickle and as fairweather as they are, a Swans premiership, talk of introducing a second A.F.L. club in Sydney and Auskick sky-rocketing in popularity, do I need to spell out the dire consequences this could have for the N.R.L.?

The A.F.L. is a business people, and like any business it wishes to expand and profit. It has no interest in expanding internationally like the N.R.L. is endeavouring to do. It doesn't need to, it has a strong enough market in this country alone, and if they have to grow at the expense of other codes like ours, they will. We are simply In their way.

Business is like war. Mark my words, regardless of what the Daily Telegraph tells you, the A.F.L. is a predator, and it's open season on our beloved code. David Gallop and the N.R.L. executives need to sit down, take a good hard look at themselves and come up with some answers before it's too late.

Pantherjim.

Remember the name: Gerrard Daffy (Duck) from Centrebet (most of you have probably heard of him). Blunty said on 3AW last week that he now resides in Sydney and that AFL will take over rugby league as the most popular sport in the city. Johnny Gibbs had him on air today to talk about the mystery punter who stands to win 1million on the Tigers and ended up arguing with him about his misguided comments. On ya Gerrrrrrarrrrd! :lol:

ucantseeme

Juniors
i wish i could post the front pages for the Daily Telegraph this week and the ones last week to show the comparison in coverage between afl and NRL grand final week.

i went to the telegraph website but couldnt find any front pages other than todays.

but i know it will show afl getting full page coverage and the tigers getting half a page or less. i know the afl pays the media for the coverage but really this is beyond a joke.

wittyfan

Referee
Front and back pages for today:

0,10114,5054010,00.jpg

0,10114,5054011,00.jpg

It would seem that the Sonny Bill Williams era is now over. :lol:

wittyfan

Referee
Pantherjim. said:

Pantherjim.

Yep, the NRL needs to do more than to just keep trotting out "That's My Team" ads year after year after year.

eelandia

Juniors
iggy plop said:
Remember the name: Gerrard Daffy (Duck) from Centrebet (most of you have probably heard of him). Blunty said on 3AW last week that he now resides in Sydney and that AFL will take over rugby league as the most popular sport in the city. Johnny Gibbs had him on air today to talk about the mystery punter who stands to win 1million on the Tigers and ended up arguing with him about his misguided comments. On ya Gerrrrrrarrrrd! :lol:

gibbsy gave it to him....'Goose' was mentioned a few times. With idiots like that running Centrebet I certainly won't be giving them my cash anymore. Liking a code is one thing but being totally deluded is another.