What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Swannies media coverage in Sydney justified?

Is the Swannies current media coverage in Sydney justified?

• Yes

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • No real opinion

Votes: 15 8.3%

• Total voters

B-dos

Referee
Barry Hall wasn't injured, he was facing the judiciary for a controversial incident which may have ruled him out of the Grand Final. Sure, Pat Richards may miss out on the GF but its a totally different situation. Hardly the same thing is it.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Another conversion to the AFL’s Sydney spin

i still dont reckon it will bite into other codes crowds, just cause you watch a grand final in patches doesnt mean the AFL has mind control on leaguies brains. IT IS A TOTAL BEAT UP. ive got relos in perth who have no concept of league and have no idea why i wasnt over the moon last saturday, i was stoked both parra and drags went out, but the swans pailed in comparison to that

shadowboxer

First Grade
barry hall played like a bag of sh*t. If the swans had lost there would have been a lynch mob waiting at the airport for him.

RABK

Referee
B-dos said:
Barry Hall wasn't injured, he was facing the judiciary for a controversial incident which may have ruled him out of the Grand Final. Sure, Pat Richards may miss out on the GF but its a totally different situation. Hardly the same thing is it.

Not totally true, Barry Hall was injured....a right shoulder injury that saw him play under pain killing injections throughout the game.

But i get what you mean. ;-)

Green Machine

First Grade
B-dos said:
It could be the same result, Pat may miss the Grand Final. A picture of Pat with his foot in an ice bucket is about as front page news worthy as Barry Hall standing in the surf at Coogee.

B-dos

Referee
Green Machine said:
It could be the same result, Pat may miss the Grand Final. A picture of Pat with his foot in an ice bucket is about as front page news worthy as Barry Hall standing in the surf at Coogee.

You idiot. :roll:

Green Machine

First Grade
shadowboxer said:
i still dont reckon it will bite into other codes crowds, just cause you watch a grand final in patches doesnt mean the AFL has mind control on leaguies brains. IT IS A TOTAL BEAT UP. ive got relos in perth who have no concept of league and have no idea why i wasnt over the moon last saturday, i was stoked both parra and drags went out, but the swans pailed in comparison to that

Totally agree. IT IS A TOTAL BEAT UP

Green Machine

First Grade
B-dos said:
You idiot. :roll:
So please explain why a sport, that is the fourth choice football code in Sydney, that gets beaten one a weekly occurrence by re-runs of old movies and a Japanese Cooking Show, can be moved out of the sports section and onto the front of the paper which is suppose to be reserved for current affairs and world events,

B-dos

Referee
I have explained it already. You can choose to listen to and believe what you want.

Green Machine

First Grade
I just don’t think a marquee sport, in Sydney like AFL, is an endless, week long, front page news worthy story. Maybe at best, the back page of the sport, but not the front page when you consider the Tigers V Dragons NRL game was the hottest ticket in Sydney last week

ucantseeme

Juniors
I seriously think we should bombard that MediaWatch show on ABC to take a closer look into this situation as there is undoubtedly massive disparity between the AFL & NRL coverage from the Daily Telegraph.

The MediaWatch "tip off" email address is:

mediawatch@your.abc.net.au

Mediawatch tip-offs
Media Watch tries to monitor some of the major media outlets but there's no way our small team can keep track of all the media's crazy and unethical behaviour or even all the stories that are just plain wrong.

We rely on tip-offs from our audience for most of our stories. So if you know something about the media that we should know drop us a line.

Give us as much detail as you can about where and when the story was published or broadcast. Tell us what's gone on and what's gone wrong. And give us some contact details so we can check the details and send our thanks.

Confidentiality is definitely guaranteed.

Brutus

Referee
dodge said:
But I thought AFL was no threat in Sydney?

Make up your mind iggy slop.

Moving along, the Grand Final shouldn't dominate the front page until the day. So what if NL half owns the game?

News Limited is a f**king news outlet not a sports promotion tool - it would be a travesty for it to take up more than half of the front page on any day during the eek when far more newsworthy events are happening in our world.

Wake up and smell the current affairs morons. Personally, I care a bit more for how my hip pocket is being eaten out of and what can be done about it than a grand final that is three days away. Sport doesn't rule the back page for no reason. For those uninformed listening to the likes of iggy plop's cynicism - there's a 20 page MainGame liftout on the Grand Final (including a "Go Cowboys" poster), and about 5 or 6 pages of coverage inside the sport section, as well as nothing else being on the back page but league. Not to mention the one or two pages devoted each day at the front of the paper with the suburban rivalry story, plus half the front page with the "predictable shot".

There's 2 pages in sport for the Swanlettes, and an 8 page liftout inside MainGame tracking their 2005 fortunes.

So Close to 30 plays around 10. Out of a 120 page paper. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument though.

Self-importance is a sign of insecurity you know...

f**k you write some dribble. I picture a fugly little nerd behind that keyboard.

wittyfan

Referee
The front page of today's Telegraph:

0,10114,5055405,00.jpg

Brutus

Referee
Some of us here love our rugby league and want to see it remain at the top in Sydney, especially at grand final time. For me it's more about rugby league remaining strong and at the forefront than actually supporting a team.

Some people on this rugby league board seem to find a problem with that. I just read a link to the Big Footy AFL forums and those clowns are absolutley giving to "thugby" at the moment. In fact there are about 8 RL related threads on the first few pages of their main Australian Rules board. But I guess it's ok when they do it hey.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201427

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198088

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201881

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201999

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202016

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201427

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202005

ucantseeme

Juniors
no afl "fan" has the right to call league thugby when their game is rife with cheap shots, eye gouging and hitting someone when they arent looking..........hardly good sportsmanship

people may point out the things hoppa has done on the field but at least he never bit someone on the testicles or had sex with a team mates wife

Pantherjim.

Referee
ucantseeme said:
no afl "fan" has the right to call league thugby when their game is rife with cheap shots, eye gouging and hitting someone when they arent looking..........hardly good sportsmanship

Exactly!

They have the absolute nerve to call our Code "thugby" and yet there is more deliberate pushing, shoving and striking in one game of A.F.L. than there is in an entire season in League!

Pantherjim.

LESStar58

Referee
ucantseeme said:

people may point out the things hoppa has done on the field but at least he never bit someone on the testicles or had sex with a team mates wife

Your forgetting the squirrel gripping that went on between Tony Libretore and Paul Kelly circa 1996...

Dutch Oven

Juniors
dodge said:
To those still against AFL competing with the NRL for media space:

WHAT ABOUT THE ASHES?

Who cares about cricket? Why should it have got mega air-time as the NRL was winding down for the year? How dare anyone support Cricket. It is such a crap sport. As if you'd let it be played during the winter time.. geez.
*slams door*

*opens door*
Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic
*slams it again*

:roll: Pathetic. Other sports exist and will continue to thrive. Realise and accept.

:clap: The AFL need more people like you in Sydney.

Keep it up matey, I like your style.