What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this Game Anti Souths Sydney Rabbitohs?

Mario

Juniors
And just to confirm, yes HBG has been a long time beta tester of the game (since last year).

He's been good keeping the secret until now. Damn you Tooheys :)

HBG

Juniors
Make that Tooheys RED.

Shame you guys don't probably get it over there.

Tooheys Red, better than Mother's Milk, and smoother. Even better the can is RED and GREEN.

Even VB is RED and GREEN.

Anyway, the last thing these guys want on the group is a ranting Souths Supporter. Either way, my main aim has been to help make this game a success, yet provide some humour or ridicule on the forums.

You guys at HES and SIDHE, have no idea how many times my wife has threatened to spearate over this game.

My only disappointment is that I did not catch up with Vodka for a matchup, when I was in Canberra. Also, that I could not play it as much as I wanted.

Many a time I woke up at 4 am, so I could start playing the game (when I could download it).

daslacker

Juniors
Mario said:
daslacker said:
I'm not complaining mate,I've been wait for
this game for ages and like everyone here
can't wait to get it.But I'll be p!ssed
off if u currently support support a
inferior team you suffer in gaming exp.

Hmmmmm, then turn the difficulty down...

Hmmmmm,I was meaning when I play against
my mates not against the computer.

Anyway i'll expect the weststigers to be
crap like they had been in recent years
so i don't get dissapointed.
Hey i can always be Nsw or australia

HBG

Juniors
Hmmmmm,I was meaning when I play against
my mates not against the computer.

Anyway i'll expect the weststigers to be
crap like they had been in recent years
so i don't get dissapointed.
Hey i can always be Nsw or australia[/quote]

Don't worry, as I said do what you can with what you have. Build up, and you will do well. I played a number of games under all teams where possible. Reallistically, the West Tigers will do well IN THE REAL SEASON, next year. Benji Marshall, will be your main man, as long as he is Injury free. He is a Bay of Plenty Boy like a mate of mine..

CliffyGC

Juniors
some one tell me if im wrong cant Clevo just edit or recreate souths side with the ratings he wants. That what i plan to do with manly as i understand manly will prolly suck in the game because we sucked last year.

Trust me people manly will win many many premierships in this game on my pc just as they did in arl 96 on my pc.

i think everyone needs to chill it will be all good in the end

theVodkaCircle

Juniors
DAMN ! I missed the HBG grand opening :D
I was disappointed not to have a game against you as well. Im still to experience multiplayer :(
Good to finally be able to speak to you openly about the game, if you know what I mean.
And Ive won a few games as Souths don't worry. Even though my kicking game is crap. :)

Clevo

Juniors
Mario said:
Okay. There are a couple of things to consider here.

1. Stats for individual players have been taken from real life statistics based on the players performance over the season.

This is fair enough and understandable

2. Stats for teams are based on the real life statistics based on the teams performance over the season.

Based on what statistics? The idea of buying better players is to lift the chances of the team. If Johns was playing at Souths in 2003 there are no statistics to show either way whether he would have played worse or better. Fletcher, in my opinion, has played better football at Souths and was rewarded a test selection. If this game were based on 2002 stats Fletcher would have automatically played worse by mere fact that he was included in the Souths team coming from the Roosters. Considering the individual players stats are what make a team placing A.Johns in Souths should overall lift the team performances. Since this simulation cannot possibly cover all real life factors lets not use this game to simulate RL but to play out fans fantasies...this is what gaming is all about. 18 years of video gaming says I'm right...otherwise fantasy role playing games wouldn;t be THE most popular genre in gaming history.

The fact of the matter is we want the performance of individual players and teams in the game to be reflective of the current abilities of the individuals and teams in real life. Gamers expect this to be the case. The alternative would be to have every player the same and every team the same - not really an option I'm sure you will agree.

I disagree on many fronts here but we'll just talk about alternatives. The better alternative in my opinion would be to have player stats based on real life stats but team stats to all be even or neutral. After all Souths have 20 titles to their name I guess that counts for naught (like in RL) While one could argue that A.Johns would play worse at Souths the reality is Says Who???? Based on what? So you do have an option and no I don;t agree entirely

Unfortunately, as Souths are currently not performing well, this means that they are ranked towards the bottom in the game also.

As Souths should be but since the game doesn't include real life player transfer market and the season is stuck in a 2003 revolving door the club penalties are well.... useless and pointless. I'm sure as a marketing tool for the NRL and the respective clubs this would have been a fairer alternative.

With regard to the team rankings and the Andrew Johns example, this is also reflective of real life. The team ratings are representative of the quality of training and the ability for the team to 'gel' on the field - in other words they quantify teamwork.

With all do respect...there ar no stats to indicate this with the A.Johns example...since I have already given a counter claim with Bryan Fletcher. For all we know Johns may have become NRL top scorer for the season with Souths and we could have won the comp. Unlikely, but you get what I mean. Team stats are subjective...player stats aren't.

Top ranked teams have a high level of teamwork. Bottom ranked teams don't. If you add Andrew Johns to a team which can't consistently work together then his abilities as an individual player are hampered. What good is it if you are the best offloader in the league if nobody is in support? What good is it being the best attacking kicker when nobody chases down your carefully placed grubber?

I can;t argue there if this were a discussion based on real life NRL but Johns may have inspired more support, may have inspired better gelling etc etc. I ask you then...how are Brisbane ranked in this game if it's based on 2003 season then it must be pertty mediocre but they have pretty high standard of teamwork.

It is therefore wholly appropriate that placing a top ranked player into a bottom ranked team has a negative influence on that players ability to perform.
but should have a better infulence of team performance...I hope this is the case still

At the end of the day, Clevo, consider this: You support a bottom ranked team. In the end, the odds are stacked against you to try and win a premiership on the higher difficulty levels. How satisfying will it be when you prevail, against the odds, and the carry the Rabbitohs through to an NRL Premiership win?

No doubt it would be really satisfying but this doesn't make it more appealing considering I have to put more effort into learning the skills of the game just because I'm a Souths supporter even if I had the same team personell as the Roosters. This isn;t a Souths whinge because no doubt other lowly ranked team supporters are in the same boat. I know if I was marketing manager of Souths I wouldn;t be too pleased about this aspect of the game handicap

I've made it clear that there is no way of saying, and there are no stats suggesting that putting a class player into souths team AUTOMATICALLY means that player will play worse.... this is my gripe. I'm sure it's an excellent game and it will be a challenge but to handicap a team based on one season just doesn;t make sence.

I appreciate your reply though Mario

Big Bunny

Juniors
Well this was a bit of a shock. That is if indeed all that has been said is accurate

I can understand Souths playing poorly in the game because of the rankings from the true 2003 NRL season, but the idea that if I throw A John, Lockyer and co or even an NRL All-Star squad into a Souths line-up and that they then automatically play poorer would quite frankly be a foolish move by SidHe. It doesn't appear to be one based on any sound logic.

Alienating a sizeable portion of the market in regards to a second release isn't exactly the best of ideas I would imagine.

If the company wishes to treat the lower clubs fans with ambivolence then to hell with supporting their product with my money. I sincerely hope that isn't the case.

ripper

Based on what statistics? The idea of buying better players is to lift the chances of the team. If Johns was playing at Souths in 2003 there are no statistics to show either way whether he would have played worse or better.

Dont you get it?? There is no franchise mode in this. You cant buy players. And Andrew Johns might help the Rabbitohs win 1 or 2 more. He needs some support and Sth Sydney have none

theVodkaCircle

Juniors
OK, heres the drill.
Players have stats
Teams have stats.

If you dont like them the way they are....

CHANGE THEM !

If you support a lower ranked team, crank up the team stats a little.

If you support a top of the table team, lower them if you like to present yourself with more of a challenge (although the game is already a challenge)

THATS why it is customisable, to give everyone what they want via being able to change things if you dont like them.

Sheeesh

TripleM

Juniors
This is so ridiculous.. I think the game would be awful if teams like souths had a 50/50 shot of beating the warriors or panthers everytime they played. I mean, its like saying Japan have the same chance of winning the rugby world cup as the allblacks. You have to have low ranked teams in the game, thats just how it works..

Mario

Juniors
I think you Souths guys are missing the point and not facing the reality of the situation.

By putting Andrew Johns into Souths, the team overall will perform better. His individual stats (and then only some of them) are only slightly negatively affected which reflects (as I said earlier) the quality of the coaching and teamwork. Overall, the effect of adding Andrew Johns to Souths would be positive.

The decisions to make these sorts of stats adjustments were made based on discussions between ourselves, HES, the NRL, and NRL Stats. They are entirely based on logic and a detailed undertsanding of player and team performance by people with in depth knowledge of the sport and the league. Considering one of the NRL Stats guys told me who was going to be in the grand final in June and he was right, I'm inclined to trust their thoughts on these matters.

Souths are at the bottom in the game like they are in real life. If you don't like it - edit the teams or the players!

TripleM

Juniors
Oh, by the way, HBG:
I have a feeling a few of us may have been able to guess that :p. At the least, I'll say I'm not surprised..

crazy john

Juniors
Ok just a question which should help clear this up a little.

Say if I were to copy the ENTIRE Broncos team into Souths, and delete all the Souths players, would the team stats be the same as if they were playing for the Broncos?

Mario

Juniors
crazy john said:
Ok just a question which should help clear this up a little.

Say if I were to copy the ENTIRE Broncos team into Souths, and delete all the Souths players, would the team stats be the same as if they were playing for the Broncos?

No, you would have to edit the team stats which obviously aren't held with individuals. The system is designed with the expectation you will be shifting around one or two players at a time, not swap whole teams over.

theVodkaCircle

Juniors
Well you would be changing player stats by totally changing the lineup but you wouldnt be changing the team stats which I imagine are there to reflect the coach and club setup. So in theory, you could retain the standard souths lineup but edit the team stats and that would kinda be like you being in charge of the bunnies and putting in a superior coach/staff etc. You would have the same players but they would play better as a team

Check my bears screenshot for the teams stats.

Ausguy

Coach
one thing that has turned me off games like this inthe past (sports games) is the fact that mahjor upsets use to happen all the time, like someone just suggested, japan to win against australia in the rugby, it wont happen, so realism is what im looking for, now i dont belive that souths will come last in every competition i play, until i see it i wont believe it, i look forward to seeing realistic scores and tables, if i see something that is not possible i will adjust the stats until i find its more realistic, by that i mean if south were to win 8 games in a row and brisbane lose 8 in a row, i would adjust this, however these occurences would have to be major, not just 3 wins or 3 losses in a row, first thing im going to do is simulate a season to check out some ai v ai games and look at the final table, just because im curious to see who finishes where

ps is there any reason we have not seen a premiership table in any screenshot?

theVodkaCircle

Juniors
To give you an example, I just simmed the following 15 minute game.

Souths v Australia

but I lowered the Aussie TEAM stats and changed no player stats at all.

Australia won 10 - 0

So that gives you an indication.

Clevo

Juniors
Mario said:
I think you Souths guys are missing the point and not facing the reality of the situation.

The reality of the situation is you cannot compare real life to a computer game and neither can you ever come close to simulating the factors that go towards a footy team....to include some factors and exclude others is..... (insert word here)

By putting Andrew Johns into Souths, the team overall will perform better.

I should hope so

His individual stats (and then only some of them) are only slightly negatively affected which reflects (as I said earlier) the quality of the coaching and teamwork. Overall, the effect of adding Andrew Johns to Souths would be positive.

good

The decisions to make these sorts of stats adjustments were made based on discussions between ourselves, HES, the NRL, and NRL Stats. They are entirely based on logic and a detailed undertsanding of player and team performance by people with in depth knowledge of the sport and the league.

Well.... to be frank it's still a subjective opinion based stats for the teams and we all know what the NRL think of Souths :)

Considering one of the NRL Stats guys told me who was going to be in the grand final in June and he was right, I'm inclined to trust their thoughts on these matters.

Only one of them got it right? How many people did you discuss stats with?

Souths are at the bottom in the game like they are in real life. If you don't like it - edit the teams or the players!

then it wouldn't be Souths. This line proves to me you have missed to point of my argument entirely. Tell me on what stats that would prove A johns would have had a worse season in Souths....tell me on what stats Bryan Fletcher played better in the Aust team than in Souths...tell me what stats did Chris Walker play better in the grand final than he did in Souths??? Mario...sorry but your source of team stats is baloney...tell me what team stats would have predicted that Chris Anderson would have had such a hard time with Cronulla??? Nah it's pretty obvious to me that Club Stats should be removed from a game of this type....let the player stats and real life player skill determin the outcome of the game not some objective non-exsistent statistics that cripple a player due to the team. Mario...tell me one other thing....this game is also available in NZ....Would A.johns play like God in the NZ version of the game if he was played in the Warrior team?

daslacker

Juniors
theVodkaCircle said:
OK, heres the drill.
Players have stats
Teams have stats.

If you dont like them the way they are....

CHANGE THEM !

If you support a lower ranked team, crank up the team stats a little.

THATS why it is customisable, to give everyone what they want via being able to change things if you dont like them.

Sheeesh

Thanks mate that summed up all i wanted
to know :D

Latest posts