What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this right?

bobbis

Juniors
screeny said:
As hgfds says, the '78 series was a put up job, with the penalty count about 30-2 in favour of the French.

The game was on its arse, with no crowds, little interest and the fact remains that RL wasn't a sport taght by PE teachers in schools. If any one factor could be attributed to the demise of French RL post war I would opine that removing it from the schools curriculum and preventing PE teachers from gaining ogvt accreditation was it.

Fair enough if the 78 series was a farce but they still won in 67.
In the 1960s they were still competitive and through the 1980s they could still get the odd victory against britain. As late as 1968 they were runner up in the world cup.

As for the crowds declining if you look at French internationals vs Australia in the 1st 2 series vs Aus post war they werent worse than pre war, arguably they were better.

France's international results and crowds simply don't correlate with the hypothesis that the vichy regime was the primary cause of french RLs decline. Im not saying it didnt have a big affect, merely that blaming the Vichy regime is very simplistic.

Perhaps not being taught in schools was a major reason for its decline, I tend to think our French poster's reasons for the decline are the most believable.

screeny

Bench
bobbis said:
Fair enough if the 78 series was a farce but they still won in 67.
In the 1960s they were still competitive and through the 1980s they could still get the odd victory against britain. As late as 1968 they were runner up in the world cup.

As for the crowds declining if you look at French internationals vs Australia in the 1st 2 series vs Aus post war they werent worse than pre war, arguably they were better.

France's international results and crowds simply don't correlate with the hypothesis that the vichy regime was the primary cause of french RLs decline. Im not saying it didnt have a big affect, merely that blaming the Vichy regime is very simplistic.

Perhaps not being taught in schools was a major reason for its decline, I tend to think our French poster's reasons for the decline are the most believable.

I might be inclined to agree or disagree, but I can't fathom what the deuce he's on about to be honest.....