What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iSelect Gold Coast Titans granted new license

Alex28

Coach
You never fail to disappoint champ. Whilst you are right and the club got the pokies in the end, you failed to address why demands by the football club were adopted by the leagues club - demands that were always going to be detrimental to the performance of the leagues club. If they have no connection at all why would they adopt something so ridiculous?

Also you ignored the fact that the leagues club gets 20% of the board space in the football club. That doesn't surprise me - you tend to ignore stuff that doesn't suit your argument and go for the cheap shots.

Anyway...the next fortnight or so should be interesting. Never know - the Bunnies might have their own similar thread for you to troll away in!

bobmar28

Bench
Ofcourse there was you and half the people in here voted in it :lol: it's in their thread.

As I recall most people voted for names other than the Bombers. I'm pretty sure that name wasn't even an option. It was declared later by the owners of the bid.

rednblack

Juniors
As I recall most people voted for names other than the Bombers. I'm pretty sure that name wasn't even an option. It was declared later by the owners of the bid.

That was his point. AlwaysGreen said that he had suspicions as the the legitimacy of a vote which purported to elect the Titans name as the most popular. R&BB pointed out that this was also the case with the bombers name ballot. I think you just confirmed those suspicions, by way of the fact that the bombers name was not even an option - that is, they had probably already chosen a name and just offered a vote to make people feel like they had a say. In that respect, it seems the bombers and Titans achieved their names in the same way.

whall15

Coach
I think that happens for every sporting team, same thing happened for the Melbourne Heart in the A-League.

BunniesMan

Immortal
alex28 you are delusional. And like I've said before it isn't the best idea to hope for Souths' collapse. If Souths did fold I'd have to follow another NSW team, it could be your team. You don't want that, I don't want that, the other possible teams fans don't want that. So I suggest everyone hope Souths exists for a long long time.

Alex28

Coach
At least you are now acknowledging there is a link between the Rabbits and the Leagues Club.

I don't want Souths to fold - would take half the fun out of following league if hating the Rabbits and their ridiculous fans was out of the equation...

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s-bidders-circle/story-fnca0von-1226315890646
Searle defiant as bidders circle

by: Margie McDonald
April 02, 2012 12:00AM

GOLD Coast boss Michael Searle is not giving up the club without a fight and has dismissed talk about who might take over the Titans to keep a rugby league club in the vital southern Queensland-northern NSW corridor.

After local businessman Bill Rae and former Melbourne Storm five-eighth Scott Hill identified themselves last week as the spokesmen for two separate consortiums, no mention had been made about whether Searle would play a role in either venture.

But a defiant Searle told The Australian he was not prepared to hand over the club he fought for nine years to create before it entered the NRL in 2007.

"I don't even know who the consortiums are. I haven't heard from them," Searle said. "They are obviously talking to the NRL assuming they are going to get control of the licence. No one approached us and we hold the licence."

Searle owns 80 per cent of the Titans and waged a virtual one-man campaign to bring an NRL side back to the Gold Coast. Four previous ventures had failed.

However, his vision of a Titans empire is crumbling.

Spiralling bank debt, falling property prices and fights with contractors have combined to strangle the Gold Coast Titans (Property) Pty Ltd, which is believed to be more than $25 million in the red.

The Federal court is due to sit on April 20 in Brisbane to begin the process of winding the company up because an earlier hearing found it prima facie insolvent. The Australian Rugby League Commission has had independent auditors sift through the myriad deals and companies that make up the Titans.

It found the football club and the property arm were intertwined.

Searle has asserted that the two were separate identities.

But last night Searle said he and his team of club administrators were still working through solutions. And he issued a pledge that he would be digging in his heels.

"I'm not prepared to hand over the club. We've said for a while that the solution for us was to dispose of the building and that's what I'm working towards," Searle said. "I'm confident we'll come up with a sale at some stage in the future."

Asked if a sale would keep the wolves from the door or at least keep the NRL from stripping him of the licence, he said: "The (football) club is a profitable and sustainable model. It's not a liquidity issue, it's a building issue.

"Once we solve the building issue we still continue talking to the NRL about possible funding."

Searle was at Skilled Park yesterday to watch the Titans fall courageously to Canterbury 30-20 -- their fourth loss in a row.

Titans captain Scott Prince later said the headlines and speculation about the future of the club had an affect on the players. "It's a distraction, don't get me wrong," Prince said. "But at the end of the day we've been reassured as players and staff that everything is fine. We get paid to play footy and that's our profession. We do it week in, week out."

Hill was interviewed before kick-off on ABC Radio and guaranteed that if his consortium, which includes former Titans football manager Scott Sattler and dual international Mat Rogers, took over it could keep the playing roster together. He made no mention of future players signings such as Dave Taylor, the Souths forward who has signed for four years from next season.

Hill said he was looking to meet commission chief executive David Gallop in the next week or two.

BunniesMan

Immortal
He got his reputation from having 1 decent idea. "the game should be run independently". Every average fan knew that, so it was hardly a genius idea but it seems he's been given the benefit of the doubt for years because of that 1 idea.

beads6

First Grade
Searle is a wanker, can't believe he isn't man enough to walk away. He has done more harm then good at this point.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given there are investors out there willing to put money in you'd think he would be open to selling shares in the club?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Given there are investors out there willing to put money in you'd think he would be open to selling shares in the club?
I doubt the other groups would pour millions in for anything less than a controlling interest. I'd say controlling interest would have to be ripped out of Searles hands before he gives it up.

this is what the much talked about centre of excellence looks like

558590_1997234828128_1761215900_1019284_2117376025_n.jpg

537841_1997235868154_1761215900_1019285_558639194_n.jpg

I was at the game yesterday and before the game started the ground announcer made a statement in which he said not to believe what was in the media and that its business as usual there

and used this image as well

smiles_405.gif

Perth Red

Post Whore
For all searle's wrongs he got burnt on a property development during the gfc, he wasn't the only one and I've met a couple of Perth property developers who lost hundreds of millions around the same time. He did get a team on the coast, he obviously has some abilities and will hopefully learn from this (though I find property people rarely do!)

_Johnsy

Referee
It found the football club and the property arm were intertwined.

Searle has asserted that the two were separate identities.

"The (football) club is a profitable and sustainable model. It's not a liquidity issue, it's a building issue.

"Once we solve the building issue we still continue talking to the NRL about possible funding."

It seems he is nothing more than a snake oil salesman and fits right in with the stereo typical white sand shoe brigade on the GC.

If the Football club is profitable, how come you have asked for handouts (grant advances) from the NRL to pay your players over 2010, 2011 and now it seems to be 2013. Get him away from the Titans ASAP if we want them to remain & be a success on and off the field.

Latest posts