What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau signs $2 million deal

renouf said:
Most of the QLD juniors who play for Melbourne would rather play for Brisbane simply because it's a rugby league town and they actually support the game. Melbourne is AFL and always will be. Most of the players down there probably feel alienated walking among the general public. Half of those dimwits down there don't even know rugby league exists. If the Sydney people can embrace the Swans then why can't the Melbourne people embrace the Storm?
Sorry Renouf, This show how much that comment is of utter crap. yes sydney maybe supporter Swans but why is sydney not bracing NRL teams. Melbourne crowds this year is better than St George, Penrith and New Zealand and is just 20 people short from the Manly crowd averages. These are all RUGBY LEAGUE or Rugby (NZ being RL and RU) AREAS so us Mexican don't embrace the storm. OH Please

btw the link is

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/2008.html
renouf said:
Melbourne have produced some great players over the last few seasons, so they are doing something for the game, but it's a lost cause.

bit of a Stupid comment, The under 20's will help us grow with talent. 7 or 8 of the 20 players came from victorian clubs and they are hoping in 5 years that it would be full of victorian in the Melbourne Storm under 20's

renouf said:
I never said we should get rid of the Storm, I just think trying to convert AFL fans over to league is a lost cause. Aslong as they are being fed players from QLD they will always want to go back and this is going to hurt the club. Smith and Inglis are rumored to be leaving aswell, that won't do the club any good.
back pedalling renouf, You said Storm is a lost cause.
I know of aleast 50 people who are not expats(interstate and internationally) who used to go to AFL but now come to the storm. That just me.

Hanscholo

Bench
Im prepared to say on what i have seen from Folau. 500k per year is a bad move and the broncos will regret it. Im certain Bennett had nothing to do with it. There is only one player in the comp worth that kind of money, SBW...

Razor

Coach
Serc said:
Wow we finally got out the cheque book. At least we didn't go and buy half the Dragons squad like the Knights.

Look at your team

The Broncos have 3 players in their squad that they signed from the Dragons. The Knights have 5.

BronxFan

Juniors
Read somewhere "Courier Mail" I think that if we signed Izzy we'd lose Boyd (150k), Michaels (150k) and Moon (100k), was awhile back though, not losing much if that's it.

JW

Coach
BronxFan said:
Read somewhere "Courier Mail" I think that if we signed Izzy we'd lose Boyd (150k), Michaels (150k) and Moon (100k), was awhile back though, not losing much if that's it.

Silly stuff when papers write things like that.

Unless Bruno and the coaching staff are active journalists for the Courier Mail, they'd have absolutely no idea who'd be punted or how many, if any. They've just run their finger down the list and pointed to 3 blokes whose speculated salaries they believe would add up to Folau's predicted price.

Either way, even with Folau in the team Boyd and Michaels (who is under contract for a few more seasons IIRC) will still be in the 13.

JK

hellteam said:
then so should yours

Mine is. No harm.

It would clean up the system.

What would clean up the system more is dropping a ridiculous salary cap and moving to a draft system. ;-)

Inferno

Coach
hineyrulz said:
Gee big loss for the Storm, i can see them struggle this yr being torn apart like this. 500k a year for a centre????? you can tell Bennett had nothing to do with neogations, who will the Bronc's cut to fit him under the cap????

lol, who have the Broncs ever cut to stay under the cap?

BronxFan

Juniors
JW said:
Silly stuff when papers write things like that.

Unless Bruno and the coaching staff are active journalists for the Courier Mail, they'd have absolutely no idea who'd be punted or how many, if any. They've just run their finger down the list and pointed to 3 blokes whose speculated salaries they believe would add up to Folau's predicted price.

Either way, even with Folau in the team Boyd and Michaels (who is under contract for a few more seasons IIRC) will still be in the 13.

Thought as much bloody Courier Mail getting my hopes up bout disposing Boyd.

waiting for Locky no1 comment bout Boyd.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Big Pete said:
The courier mail are reporting it as 1.6Million, even then I have my doubts.
I think you'll find that they'll be adjusting their headlines by Monday morning.

It is close to $2 million for four years.

LeagueUnlimited simply got the news first.

Since then the mainstream press have been scrambling to catch up.

lotti

Bench
Broncos treat Izzy right you're getting one of the best. He's going there for the right reason and that's his family, us Storm fans when the Broncos come down here next year with Izzy among them shouldn't heckle him for any other reason than he's a Bronco he went there for the right reason unlike when Noddy left us.

sydraider

First Grade
hellteam said:
no they dont. the storm has made 2 grand finals in a row without a salary cap exemption. and the raiders have had their fair share of success over the years

The Raiders have gone from a top side to expectant wooden spooners under expansion, I feel for the storm who found Issy but I honestly cant give a f**k. When we do unearth a good junior the rest of the pricks line up to sign him, then when we give a future coach a chance, we lose him to someone else, then you same pricks say that canberra is a sh*thole and no none wants to live there, well f**k the lot of you if I think that melbourne is a sh*thole and I dont want rugby league there. They dont deserve the cream of the crop they currently have now.

hellteam

First Grade
sydraider said:
The Raiders have gone from a top side to expectant wooden spooners under expansion, I feel for the storm who found Issy but I honestly cant give a f**k. When we do unearth a good junior the rest of the pricks line up to sign him, then when we give a future coach a chance, we lose him to someone else, then you same pricks say that canberra is a sh*thole and no none wants to live there, well f**k the lot of you if I think that melbourne is a sh*thole and I dont want rugby league there. They dont deserve the cream of the crop they currently have now.

so you think canberra has a right to get the cream of the crop?

they got that cream because of the storms good management and good recruiting by peter o'sullivan

sydraider

First Grade
hellteam said:
so you think canberra has a right to get the cream of the crop?

they got that cream because of the storms good management and good recruiting by peter o'sullivan

You are a broncos fan, you are the most spoilt of all rugby league teams in the history of the game.

Pigskin

Juniors
Broncos Supporter :

I also would cringe at the idea of paying Folau 500k ... reportedly Hodges is on 320k or in that region ... be a bitter pill for him to swallow if this is correct ... lets hope its 400k tops

Also an above post seems to think we will lose Boyd, Michaels and Moon ... well i say "bye" to Boyd and Moon ... hope there is some way to keep Michaels however ... he is developing very nicely and would be a nice pickup for any club if he has to leave ... Kemp on a wing will be nice :)

Is there any talk about his deal being back-ended at all ? Has to be a big chance Locky will play his last season in 2009 for us ... Just hope Wallace has grown in stature sufficiently by then to be the team guide

Reportedly ... (no, I don't know for sure) ... Sims 200k, Clinton 275k, Wallace 150-170k, Hewitt not much one would presume, don't know about Marsh

Very un-Bronco like to spend that kind of $ on an outside back ... I'll agree with that

Oink !

Nightward

Juniors
I strongly suspect that part of the deal is based around Folau getting a year off, perhaps in 2010 or even next year, to do his missionary work before the end of the contract.

The firepower the Broncos are going to be able to deploy once he takes the field, though, will be immense.

As far as the salary cap goes, you'd be surprised. Broncos stay at the club for less than market value for the chance to be well-coached (OK, an incentive that's in doubt these days) and the chance to be a part of a winning club where your efforts will be noticed and rewarded. Those can be woth a fair bit, albeit not monetarily.

Just last season? Civoniceva.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Inferno said:
Errr, you're kidding aren't you? Off the top of my head Lockyer and Carroll are the only two players that have been there for more than five years (and Carroll went to England and came back). Virtually every season they lose about three players and have to replace them with someone else. The Broncos have probably lost more players because of the salary cap than any other team in the competition (Bulldogs and Roosters would be the other main ones, and probably Storm over the next couple of seasons).