What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israel Folau signs $2 million deal

Noa

First Grade
parra pete said:
The beginning of the end for Rugby League in Melbourne. The rich get rich, the poor get poorer.
Watch for Craig Bellamy to follow suit, with Henjak caretaker coach in 2009..

Stephen Kearney will take over from Bellamy and we wont miss a beat. He will be a great coach with a more attacking philosophy then Bellamy. Players down here love him and I doubt they'd bail.

stuh

Juniors
steaming stormer said:
Not when the club signed him as a 14/15 year old, developed him into the player he is, and then get shafted after 2 years, no I don't.

Welcome to the world of being a fan of a successful club. That'e exactly what the Broncos have done for 20 years.

Noa

First Grade
stuh said:
Welcome to the world of being a fan of a successful club. That'e exactly what the Broncos have done for 20 years.

Ummmm, 3 grand -finals in ten years, 2 titles, finals nearly every year, continually finding new talent.

Yeah I think the Storm ALREADY know how to deal with this type of situation

lotti

Bench
Noa Nandruku said:
Stephen Kearney will take over from Bellamy and we wont miss a beat. He will be a great coach with a more attacking philosophy then Bellamy. Players down here love him and I doubt they'd bail.
lets wait until the test to see what kind of a head coach Stephen will make please but who better to take over from Craig than a Storm Great?

Simo

First Grade
At first Willow I thought this was your april fools joke but I was a day off and its for real.
So whos going to union this year.....

miccle

Bench
1. The Broncos spent less on this year's signings than left the club in Petero, Berrigan, Thorn, Carlaw and Tate, as well as the upgrading of some contracts. Those five took up a lot of dough, we definitely didn't spend the same amount on buying Hewitt, Marsh, Wallace, Sims and Clinton. Nowhere near it.

2. International and Qld rep Carroll is retiring at the end of this year. He's definitely on no less than 300k.

3. It's very, very likely that next year will be Lockyer's last, freeing up around 450k for the start of the 2010 season, just Izzy's second year.

4. This will undoubtedly result in player movements on the fringes. Eastwood, Moon, Robinson, Kemp and Nick Kenny all well and truly likely to move on.

5. Welcome Izzy!! Folau and Hodges would have to be the most damaging centre pairing in the competition, can't wait to see it in action.

6. For those people whinging about the Broncos signing other team's talent, this is probably the first major "marquee" signing since acquiring Tallis. The others have all been relatively cheap buys. We've lost the likes of Sailor, Priddis, Tuquiri, Civoniceva, Thorn, Berrigan, Tate etc. to salary cap constraints over the years, so we know how Melbourne feels.

7. Yes, Brisbane have quite a few rep players who would be on really decent money. Hunt, Hodges, Folau and Lockyer off the top of my head. But our forward pack, while great on the field, also represents great value. Hannant, Clinton, Sims, Thaiday, Stagg, Taylor and Eastwood are definitely not on big coin.

lockyno1

Post Whore
JW said:
Either way, even with Folau in the team Boyd and Michaels (who is under contract for a few more seasons IIRC) will still be in the 13.

Exactly. Boyd is developing nicely and Michaels is too. The ones we may lose will be Hewitt, Kemp, and a few others. Those two players will be at teh Broncos in 2009 and beyond though (Michaels and Boyd, probally on the wings)

JW

Coach
Yeah, I know its a year away but if form stays true the outside backs are likely to be filled by Michaels, Folau, Hodges and Boyd. If in that time one of the two wingers are let go or choose to move on, then there are some encouraging replacements to fill the gap - Kemp in particular, who i'd have no problems with lining up as a regaulr first grader right now. Win - win.

Hanscholo

Bench
stuh said:

Signed...Newcastle have similar issues. Imo letting Folau go when he was offered 500k is a great decision. He is nothing but potential at this point, i think its a crazy signing.

The Colonel

Immortal
Ice777 said:
I just read this entire thread and i can't believe it took 6 pages for someone to bring up this kids name. He'll be a more than worthy replacement which will be shown in time so to the assclowns questioning the Storm's future, it'll take a sh*tload more than losing ONE player to make us go away so get the f**k over it.

As for losing Issy, while i was resigned to the fact of him moving on i won't say i'm still not a bit disappointed he has. But jesus, there's other players i'd spew lot more about if we lost them than him and the one plus side of this is that it'll free up a bit of cash to help sign some of these blokes. That includes Dallas Johnson who's worth to our side is much more than Issy's ever was or ever would have been. That's no offence to Issy or his abilities but he is only a centre/winger after all.

While i'm sure he'll cop a bit on Friday night off some sections of the crowd he won't be copping none off me. I don't think he left for the money at all he only wanted to be close to his family so you can't really begrudge him that. If he had've left for the coin then it would be a different story but his still a kid really and if he's happier being closer to his family then that's where he should be.

One more thing, to all who are saying Inglis and Smith are going to the Bronco's, how will they afford them?

Not sure about Tomane but Kevin Proctor should be fast tracked into the Storm top squad.

Big, fast and strong..... even though they got pumped by the Roosters on the weekend he battled his way through.

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
Folou is a superstar in the making. 400K is a bargain. There is a reason why the Broncos are the most successful club of the modern era. In 2012 when Broncos have been to a few more grand finals people are going to be saying "wow what a great move to get the chequebook out for Folou!"

Noa

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Not sure about Tomane but Kevin Proctor should be fast tracked into the Storm top squad.

Big, fast and strong..... even though they got pumped by the Roosters on the weekend he battled his way through.

We spend the money on Issy then I doubt we can match when the Titans throw everything at KP in a couple of years. And personally I'd rather keep Kev, he's headed for the top.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors

Shorty

Staff member
Here we go,I knew this was going to be the outcome surely.
Well,I don't think he's going to be playing for the amount of money the papers are saying...and anyone who believes it is a bit naive.

Good on ya' Lotti,Israel has moved for family and although Storms fans seem to be p*ssed off about losing a player their club groomed and developed - It happens to every club.

Melbourne could have been throwing millions of dollars at him and he still would be heading to Brisbane.
His family is here and it's where his home is - I really don't think you can begrudge that.

As for Brisbane,it's looking like a mighty strong side for the post Bennett era.

Brycey

Juniors
The thing is, with QLD's catchment area they shouldnt have to sign any big name players.

People whinge about the Roosters, these guys have a huge catchment area yet have to go and buy ready-made rep players or promising players.

Plus the fact that the majority of their juniors they develop arent even from Brisbane in the first place, they're up there with the Roosters when it comes to LOCAL development.