What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

blaza88z

Coach
I've got no problem with others having a different opinion, what I do have a problem with is morons like you who spout a load of incorrect rubbish and are sure they are right. I'm just doing a public service in letting you know what an absolute cretin you are and how you couldn't be more wrong in your ideas about the game.

Thanks Jim, appreciate it

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've got no problem with others having a different opinion, what I do have a problem with is morons like you who spout a load of incorrect rubbish and are sure they are right. I'm just doing a public service in letting you know what an absolute cretin you are and how you couldn't be more wrong in your ideas about the game.
Bless. now frick off out of the expansion forum and stop derailing threads with your antisocial behaviour,

Jim Rockford

Bench
How about you f*ck off and stop clogging this thread and all the others you post in with your delusional views on how the competition should look. You would be doing us all a big favour if you just stopped posting altogether. Leave the discussion to those of us living in the real world.

How about you f*ck off and stop clogging this thread and all the others you post in with your delusional views on how the competition should look. You would be doing us all a big favour if you just stopped posting altogether. Leave the discussion to those of us living in the real world.
Is this sort of vitriol necessary?

You can disagree with some one without making it personal.

Not sure if that matters too much mate. If they are Polynesian and born and bred Victorians, then we should be targeting them. It also has only been 20 years, the Storm are carving out a niche in Melbourne and that will snowball until it is just 'cool' to follow the storm and then 'cool' to play Rugby League. The Storm will never be the # 1 sporting club in Melbourne but if they can build up to averaging 22 - 25k crowds with 30k members with 6 or 7 world class Victorians in their team (Polynesian or not), that will be a dream come true for the game.
Targeting the Polynesian population in Melbourne is a wonderful idea. I'd go one step further and look to encroach on the Victorian RU system, as it would have plenty of Polynesians playing in it. There's only enough room for one rugby code in Melbourne, so we should look at eating into their player base. The Rebels have lost the war and our game has the money and status to win the next generation of Polynesians over to our side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Targeting the Polynesian population in Melbourne is a wonderful idea. I'd go one step further and look to encroach on the Victorian RU system, as it would have plenty of Polynesians playing in it. There's only enough room for one rugby code in Melbourne, so we should look at eating into their player base. The Rebels have lost the war and our game has the money and status to win the next generation of Polynesians over to our side.
I’d imagine vic is like WA where most of the polynesian kids play union and league. Trick is to get the best of them to commit to the RL elite pathways at 16 plus. If like WA problem is union at grassroots has more clubs, better community reach, better schools programmes and more grassroots funding. Makes it hard for the league clubs who have poorer facilities and less funding to compete. Not sure if melbourne has League SHS scholarship program lime Perth? That has certainly helped get some kids to commit to league.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting articLe that shows why nrl are desperate to protect queensland. Being so far behind afl they can’t afford to lose any more ground.

Rugby league's part-administrator, part-commander-in-chief was talking on Nine Radio in May about the AFL's steps into Queensland.
Most dramatically, Brisbane hosted much of the AFL season last year as COVID-19 gripped Victoria.
"Look the AFL have done a wonderful job," he added.
"They've held our hands. Made us feel warm and fuzzy while they've invaded us."
The comments came as a new book titled Code Wars lands on shelves.
Its author, Dr Hunter Fujak, has spent the past seven years studying the dynamics of football in this country.
He's in no doubt which code is currently on top.

"The AFL is winning the code wars," he says, "followed by rugby league, soccer and rugby union bringing in the tail."
Dr Fujak cites the fact that one in five Australians are interested in AFL and no other football code. He points out AFL brings in more revenue than anyone else each year. And he highlights clubs in the AFL are largely profitable.
But don't tell those in charge of the other codes, who continue to battle like the score is nil-all.
While other codes have presence in the AFL states of Victoria, Western Australia and South Australia, Queensland — as the fastest growing state — has become the front line in the footy code wars.
"We've seen the AFL make really strong gains in Queensland," Dr Fujak says, "television audiences in Brisbane are very strong and rugby league audiences are declining."
The NRL will announce plans for a new team in Brisbane in the coming months and not only is the senior men's competition expanding.
The NRLW is set to grow to seven teams this season, with the Titans becoming the second team in South-East Queensland.
In response to V'Landys' talk about invasion, chief executive of the Brisbane Lions AFLW team, Breaanna Brock, is steadfast.
"What can I say? AFL's the Indigenous game of Australia right.
"We invented the game here. It's native to Australia. It should be everywhere in Australia."
The Lions are reigning AFLW champions, with a team made of mostly Queenslanders.
"My previous role to this was working for AFL up in Queensland and my role was to grow the game for women and girls," Brock says.
"When I started in 2013 we were starting at around 40 to 50,000 participants, well that's up to 120,000 now."
Eugenie Buckley from sports consultancy Suiko knows Queensland well. She has worked in cricket and rugby and been chair of Netball Queensland.
She was also CEO of A-League club Brisbane Roar during the club's most successful period.
"It is a code war because there's only so much talent in Australia," she says.
Dr Fujak's research shows why junior participation is so important to those in charge of the codes.

Put simply, playing sport as a junior — for example the AFL's Auskick program for primary school age children — leads to more consumption as an adult.

"If we use Auskick for the AFL as an example, a child who has not had exposure to Auskick as a child, on average watches 3.7 games of AFL in a season. A child who has played Auskick goes onto watch 8.5 games."

Brock is committed to keeping girls playing Australian rules, and has sought to remove a gap that has traditionally existed in Brisbane girls' competitions.

"It meant adding in younger and younger age groups."

"So that then became an under-15s competition, and under-13s, an under-11s, and this year we've just introduced an under-9s competition."

Programs like Auskick and clubs in developing markets of the Gold Coast and Western Sydney, receive subsidies from AFL headquarters.

Dr Fujak argues they could even be going further.

"The AFL could quite literally offer families a $200 cash incentive to have them play Auskick.

"Then that child would grow up to be an adult consumer who's a much bigger fan of AFL, and the lifetime value of that fandom would probably pay off their $200 investment."

The AFL is certainly best placed to spend. Right now no sporting body brings in as much money each year.

Dr Fujak believes the code wars matter because it's a question of survival.

"What we might see is increasingly one code dominate at the expense of the rest," he says.

"We might come to a point where in fact one code reaches a financial strength to be able to really snuff out another code."

Jim Rockford

Bench
I agree with most of his posts, particularly about the Sydney-centric management holding the game back.
That's fine. I however disagree with a lot of what he posts and if he hadn't of come at me because he got his feelings hurt about something I posted about his beloved Drizzle none of this would have happened. He should be more careful in picking his battles.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys and NRL CEO Andrew Abdo will leave Queensland immediately as the Maroons and NSW prepare to enter Covid clean zones for State of Origin II on Sunday night.
V’landys was due to hold formal meetings with the three NRL expansion hopefuls on Monday in Brisbane.

The formal presentations will still go ahead with three ARL Commissioners in attendance, while V’landys and Abdo will participate in discussions with the Firehawks, Jets and Dolphins.

“Peter Beattie will remain for the expansion meetings with the bid teams,” he said.

“Those meetings will proceed, but it will be done by video conference.

“Peter Beattie, Kate Jones and Megan Davis will be there live, but myself, Andrew Abdo and the other assessment committee will not be in attendance.

“Peter Beattie will remain because he is not affected by the areas deemed a hot spot.

“The NRL offices are in the Randwick precinct and I work in the CBD, so myself and Andrew will have to go (back to Sydney).”

mongoose

Coach
Interesting articLe that shows why nrl are desperate to protect queensland. Being so far behind afl they can’t afford to lose any more ground.

Rugby league's part-administrator, part-commander-in-chief was talking on Nine Radio in May about the AFL's steps into Queensland.
Most dramatically, Brisbane hosted much of the AFL season last year as COVID-19 gripped Victoria.
"Look the AFL have done a wonderful job," he added.
"They've held our hands. Made us feel warm and fuzzy while they've invaded us."
The comments came as a new book titled Code Wars lands on shelves.
Its author, Dr Hunter Fujak, has spent the past seven years studying the dynamics of football in this country.
He's in no doubt which code is currently on top.

"The AFL is winning the code wars," he says, "followed by rugby league, soccer and rugby union bringing in the tail."
Dr Fujak cites the fact that one in five Australians are interested in AFL and no other football code. He points out AFL brings in more revenue than anyone else each year. And he highlights clubs in the AFL are largely profitable.
But don't tell those in charge of the other codes, who continue to battle like the score is nil-all.
While other codes have presence in the AFL states of Victoria, Western Australia and South Australia, Queensland — as the fastest growing state — has become the front line in the footy code wars.
"We've seen the AFL make really strong gains in Queensland," Dr Fujak says, "television audiences in Brisbane are very strong and rugby league audiences are declining."
The NRL will announce plans for a new team in Brisbane in the coming months and not only is the senior men's competition expanding.
The NRLW is set to grow to seven teams this season, with the Titans becoming the second team in South-East Queensland.
In response to V'Landys' talk about invasion, chief executive of the Brisbane Lions AFLW team, Breaanna Brock, is steadfast.
"What can I say? AFL's the Indigenous game of Australia right.
"We invented the game here. It's native to Australia. It should be everywhere in Australia."
The Lions are reigning AFLW champions, with a team made of mostly Queenslanders.
"My previous role to this was working for AFL up in Queensland and my role was to grow the game for women and girls," Brock says.
"When I started in 2013 we were starting at around 40 to 50,000 participants, well that's up to 120,000 now."
Eugenie Buckley from sports consultancy Suiko knows Queensland well. She has worked in cricket and rugby and been chair of Netball Queensland.
She was also CEO of A-League club Brisbane Roar during the club's most successful period.
"It is a code war because there's only so much talent in Australia," she says.
Dr Fujak's research shows why junior participation is so important to those in charge of the codes.

Put simply, playing sport as a junior — for example the AFL's Auskick program for primary school age children — leads to more consumption as an adult.

"If we use Auskick for the AFL as an example, a child who has not had exposure to Auskick as a child, on average watches 3.7 games of AFL in a season. A child who has played Auskick goes onto watch 8.5 games."

Brock is committed to keeping girls playing Australian rules, and has sought to remove a gap that has traditionally existed in Brisbane girls' competitions.

"It meant adding in younger and younger age groups."

"So that then became an under-15s competition, and under-13s, an under-11s, and this year we've just introduced an under-9s competition."

Programs like Auskick and clubs in developing markets of the Gold Coast and Western Sydney, receive subsidies from AFL headquarters.

Dr Fujak argues they could even be going further.

"The AFL could quite literally offer families a $200 cash incentive to have them play Auskick.

"Then that child would grow up to be an adult consumer who's a much bigger fan of AFL, and the lifetime value of that fandom would probably pay off their $200 investment."

The AFL is certainly best placed to spend. Right now no sporting body brings in as much money each year.

Dr Fujak believes the code wars matter because it's a question of survival.

"What we might see is increasingly one code dominate at the expense of the rest," he says.

"We might come to a point where in fact one code reaches a financial strength to be able to really snuff out another code."

Code war book lol, I'm guessing its written by some "sport expert" from Latrobe Uni who is a lifelong member of Essendon

"It's only a matter of time before AFL is the dominant sport across all continents"

jokes aside the AFL has certainly made in roads into brisbane, not sure about the rest of QLD (2million+ people). The Suns seem to be a bigger basketcase than the Titans.

MugaB

Coach
Code war book lol, I'm guessing its written by some "sport expert" from Latrobe Uni who is a lifelong member of Essendon

"It's only a matter of time before AFL is the dominant sport across all continents"

jokes aside the AFL has certainly made in roads into brisbane, not sure about the rest of QLD (2million+ people). The Suns seem to be a bigger basketcase than the Titans.
Yes its seems extremely relevant as PR decided to post about AusKick in a rugby league forum, i feel Jim's apprehensions are valid, as there seems to be a lot of pro AFL flag waving and anti ARLC on most of PRs posts

Jim Rockford

Bench
Yes its seems extremely relevant as PR decided to post about AusKick in a rugby league forum, i feel Jim's apprehensions are valid, as there seems to be a lot of pro AFL flag waving and anti ARLC on most of PRs posts
Good to see that someone else is wise to PR and his nefarious agenda.

flippikat

Bench

Ahh but I think his angle is "Hey, this is what AFL is doing - and it's gaining traction (especially with the kids & their parents) so well, that it spells problems for Rugby League 5, 10, 20 years down the line.."

Simply observing that AFL play a great "long game", and that the ARLC could do well to take lessons from that ISN'T "pro AFL flag waving and anti ARLC", it's pointing the way forward if we want RL to grab more of a national market... and asking why the game's administrators aren't on the front foot like AFL.

I don't doubt that he wants RL to reach it's potential, and the criticism is because we AREN'T - but there's a clear example in our backyard of how to get there...