What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

So if Manly changed their name to Sydney everybody would just forget their history and they'd siphon a bunch of support off of the other Sydney clubs? Because that's what you are suggesting will happen if the Dolphins change their name to Brisbane/whatever, and it's just as delusional in both cases.

I mean why not just call them the Australian Dolphins because all you have to do to "represent" an area is change your name to include that geographical area right, and with a market of 25mil they'll be the largest team in the country for sure :rolleyes:.

The cognitive dissonance some people have when it comes to this subject is honestly astounding.
Fair point. One thing in favour of the Dolphins is they have played in the second tier for 33 years, which has allowed an entire generation or two to grow up without caring either way about the club. Manly have been in the top tier for decades, so people either love them or hate them.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Fair point. One thing in favour of the Dolphins is they have played in the second tier for 33 years, which has allowed an entire generation or two to grow up without caring either way about the club. Manly have been in the top tier for decades, so people either love them or hate them.
The Dolphins run juniors, i.e. people literally grow up playing against the Dolphins in most age groups.

Do you really think little jimmy who grew up playing for, e.g., the Morton Bay Raiders is going to have a high opinion of the Dolphins? Some would undoubtedly jump onboard a Dolphins NRL team, but to most the Dolphins will just be that rich club from the other side of town that pushed their club around and bought themselves into the NRL.

In other words you literally have generations of RL fans in Brisbane that have grown up seeing the Dolphins as another tribe, and that is really, really, bad for the Dolphins prospects of converting those people into fans.

If you brought in the Dolphins as the Dolphins then you'd have to wait for a couple of generations to grow up under the new paradigm of the Dolphins being an NRL club before that wasn't an issue anymore, but why would you do that when you could bring in the e.g. Brisbane Buccaneers and not have to worry about any of that shit because Buccaneers is a neutral brand that carries no historical baggage. They could even be owned by the Dolphins and it wouldn't be an issue assuming they played their cards right, but if you bring in the Dolphins, in red and white, and based in Redcliffe it'll be a shitshow of grand proportions.

flippikat

Bench
What's the latest on the NRL's assessment of bids?

From what I gather, the latest wave of Covid (and moving everything to Queensland) has pushed any thoughts of the expansion process well into the background - and that's fair enough.

I'm actually thinking now that 2023 expansion is damn near impossible, and 2024 at the earliest would be the go.

Omott91

Juniors
Buzz said In todays column previewing the jerseys for each bid team that a decision has been put on hold for 12 months due to covid.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if they accepted all three bids?

This time last year I was advocating for three BRL clubs. That's exactly what we've got competing for the 17th licence.

flippikat

Bench
Wouldn't it be hilarious if they accepted all three bids?

This time last year I was advocating for three BRL clubs. That's exactly what we've got competing for the 17th licence.
Jets jersey looks great - glad they ditched the gold from the Qld Cup jersey.. green, black, white is a winning look.

Firehawks has a nifty addition of blue to their Tigers Qld Cup brand. I hope the shorts are blue to distinguish from Wests.. orange with some blue & a little black is nice, and may just avoid the logjam of blue teams.

Redcliffe is no good. It's one of their Qld Cup designs with the merest trace of gold. Appalling, if they wanna broaden their support base through Brisbane.

Jets jersey looks great - glad they ditched the gold from the Qld Cup jersey.. green, black, white is a winning look.

Firehawks has a nifty addition of blue to their Tigers Qld Cup brand. I hope the shorts are blue to distinguish from Wests.. orange with some blue & a little black is nice, and may just avoid the logjam of blue teams.

Redcliffe is no good. It's one of their Qld Cup designs with the merest trace of gold. Appalling, if they wanna broaden their support base through Brisbane.
Broncos should fight back by adopting the horizontal stripes of the Western Suburbs Panthers. They've always struggled to create a jersey design that looks prestigious and iconic. Maroon and gold stripes could be the answer. Red and black stripes would be even better.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Whether they are real or not, there're all uninspiring.

Chevrons and vees aren't the way to make yourself stand out from the pack when every second team in the competition already has a chevron or a vee.

It's not like they'd have to do some unique modern design to stand out from the pack either, there're plenty of traditional looks that none of the other teams in the NRL are carrying. They could do vertical stripes, a sash, halved, quartered, or any variation of them and have a completely unique look.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The Dolphins run juniors, i.e. people literally grow up playing against the Dolphins in most age groups.

Do you really think little jimmy who grew up playing for, e.g., the Morton Bay Raiders is going to have a high opinion of the Dolphins? Some would undoubtedly jump onboard a Dolphins NRL team, but to most the Dolphins will just be that rich club from the other side of town that pushed their club around and bought themselves into the NRL.

In other words you literally have generations of RL fans in Brisbane that have grown up seeing the Dolphins as another tribe, and that is really, really, bad for the Dolphins prospects of converting those people into fans.

If you brought in the Dolphins as the Dolphins then you'd have to wait for a couple of generations to grow up under the new paradigm of the Dolphins being an NRL club before that wasn't an issue anymore, but why would you do that when you could bring in the e.g. Brisbane Buccaneers and not have to worry about any of that shit because Buccaneers is a neutral brand that carries no historical baggage. They could even be owned by the Dolphins and it wouldn't be an issue assuming they played their cards right, but if you bring in the Dolphins, in red and white, and based in Redcliffe it'll be a shitshow of grand proportions.
I grew up playing for Wynnum Manly juniors and I couldn't care less, most of my mates that played wouldn't either. I would be proud to see a traditional Queensland brand in the NRL be it Jets or Dolphins. I'd also be thrilled for Easts if they got in using the Firehawks brand.

I grew up playing for Wynnum Manly juniors and I couldn't care less, most of my mates that played wouldn't either. I would be proud to see a traditional Queensland brand in the NRL be it Jets or Dolphins. I'd also be thrilled for Easts if they got in using the Firehawks brand.
I'm a Wynnum Manly fan and would be proud to see Redcliffe and Easts play in the NRL. I don't want to see Ipswich as they're not a traditional BRL club.

I really want the Firehawks to get the 17th licence. I'll become a huge fan of the Brisbane Firehawks if they enter the NRL. I'll finally have a club from south-east Brisbane to get behind. It's hard to get behind the Broncos because they're from the north-west.

flippikat

Bench
Whether they are real or not, there're all uninspiring.

Chevrons and vees aren't the way to make yourself stand out from the pack when every second team in the competition already has a chevron or a vee.

It's not like they'd have to do some unique modern design to stand out from the pack either, there're plenty of traditional looks that none of the other teams in the NRL are carrying. They could do vertical stripes, a sash, halved, quartered, or any variation of them and have a completely unique look.
Great point, and I'd love to see clear, sharp designs that aren't your typical RL tropes (err.. horizontal stripes & variations on a V)... HOWEVER if we did that, some parts of the league community will fire back "That's not a league jersey!"

If it's a quartered design, they'll say it's too rugby union.. if it's a sash, they'll say it's too AFL.. just look at the reaction to Parra's yellow shirt this year (which I actually really like, truth be told).

MugaB

Coach
Great point, and I'd love to see clear, sharp designs that aren't your typical RL tropes (err.. horizontal stripes & variations on a V)... HOWEVER if we did that, some parts of the league community will fire back "That's not a league jersey!"

If it's a quartered design, they'll say it's too rugby union.. if it's a sash, they'll say it's too AFL.. just look at the reaction to Parra's yellow shirt this year (which I actually really like, truth be told).
Parras jersey looks like a soccer jersey, and extremely uninspiring, the only thing going for it is the yellow, if that was any other color combo its would suck even more,

Im with dane on this, the bid teams shoud look at the past expansion teams, crushers, reds, cowboys and warriors in '95, came in with really unique designs all different to any other team at the time, maybe it should be a mandatory requirement to have an inaugural jersey that is unique, come to think of it barr the 1908 teams, every expansion team has avoided the same designs coming into the comp, (except rams and mariners but SL was an anomaly regarding jerseys) i cannot think of any team mirroring another at the time of their own inception

flippikat

Bench
, crushers, reds, cowboys and warriors in '95, came in with really unique designs all different to any other team at the time,
I disagree.

The Reds was the only one that was completely unique - their colour combination, vertical lines AND asymmetric approach were all new to the competition - radical stuff.

The Crushers used vertical lines too, but lost points in vaguely echoing Parramatta's colours & late 80s/early 90s design, just turned around 90 degrees.

The Warriors original jersey was just a more flourished riff on the V (with colours close to the Roosters), and the Cowboys jersey was just a spin on the "blocks and stripes" trend that was huge in the early-mid 90s (see also Penrith's Allsorts jersey, Manly's Pepsi jersey, Norths black-topped Citibank jersey)

Truly unique NOW would be a team in a new set of colours.. with a sash motif, or quartered jersey, or diagonally halved jersey, or vertically halved jersey.

MugaB

Coach
I disagree.

The Reds was the only one that was completely unique - their colour combination, vertical lines AND asymmetric approach were all new to the competition - radical stuff.

The Crushers used vertical lines too, but lost points in vaguely echoing Parramatta's colours & late 80s/early 90s design, just turned around 90 degrees.

The Warriors original jersey was just a more flourished riff on the V (with colours close to the Roosters), and the Cowboys jersey was just a spin on the "blocks and stripes" trend that was huge in the early-mid 90s (see also Penrith's Allsorts jersey, Manly's Pepsi jersey, Norths black-topped Citibank jersey)

Truly unique NOW would be a team in a new set of colours.. with a sash motif, or quartered jersey, or diagonally halved jersey, or vertically halved jersey.
I wasn't talking about the colors of the new expansions in '95 i was talking about the designs, they were all unique, and crushers and parra are no where near each other aztec gold with navy or midnight blue,with a red trim compared to blue and yellow of parra... and everything else ypu mentioned was way off base too
Warriors looked nothing like roosters, cowboys stripes was unique but closest was Newcastle inagural stripes
anyways i put together a inaugural gif of each clubs jerseys... big thanks to lemon boi!!!!!20210728_043050.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts