What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

LeagueXIII

First Grade
for the hard of understanding.
Kayo subscriptions from NRL fans around $100,000,000 a year. Advertising by the handful of companies that buy bulk advertising across all Fox channels equals a pss in the ocean in comparison. Loss of value of HT advertising due to having 2 or 3 games playing at once, a dry spit in the ocean.

RL is worth so much to these people and we don't play enough hardball, we are the only sport with huge penetration in the massive western Sydney market.

Explains why Murdoch wanted our previous leaders gone.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The BBL should not be used as something to emulate. They had the sugar hit success in the first few years but crowds and ratings have declined since then. There appears to be less solid consistent base support than expected. It is not the juggernaut people thought. Its future does not look particularly bright.

The idea that there is a large segment of the public who want to pour a lot of their hard earned into tickets and memberships for a new club when none of the current ones appeal is farfetched.

Besides, by far the most important factor is TV revenue, not memberships or ticket sales. That is the behemoth chunk of the pie.

The bottom line and the one equation that matters is does a 9th game increase TV money enough to offset the costs of establishing two new teams. The initial article said they were confident of making a decision by June this year for 2023. That ship has sailed. If it was as much of a slam dunk as some people say, it would have been decided by now.

Nailed it! It doesn't matter if Brisbane 2 is the second favourite team of their members and for the crowds at their games for the first few seasons, the mission is to get these RL fans in Brisbane that only attend games once or twice a season attending regularly and hopefully buying a membership because a) they want to watch more live footy and b) they want to adopt a Brisbane team that isn't the Broncos (otherwise they'd already regularly attend Broncos games).

The longer term mission for B2 is to carve their own fan base out of the next generation.

The ARLC needs to be smart and let Brisbane 2 run its home games at fan friendly times so that they have a chance to draw in young families who cannot get to a game on a Thurs/Fri night. If they do that them they could have a solid fanbase from day one.

I'd take Magic Round to Melboune in round 1 as the AFL season usually kicks off later than ours. Flood Melbourne with RL supporters, fill the MCG, get the season off to a bang, make shed loads of money from the Vic Govt and give the Victorians a RL even (we know they love events) that they own.
That's a very good idea and would stick it to the likes of Eddie Maguire and Jeff Kennett. They would hate RL being the talk of the town for an entire weekend before AwFuL kicks off its season.

Which ground would host it?

MCG or the indoor ground?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's not true mate, look at the Titans.

GC is as far out of Brisbane as Ipswich is, early days that stadium was rocking but in recent times (before covid), one half the stadium was empty most weeks.

Hardly anyone following the QRL clubs? are you out of your mind?
Titans early days showed the support was there. A combination of on the field failure and off the field failure lost them 50% of their fanbase within a few years. They haven't yet been able to re-engage that 50%. A winning team will help but they need to do more to connect with the RL fans in their region.

How many active fans, ie attending, would a QRL cup team have? The game sI have seen on Tv have hardly anyone at them, certainly not 10k foundation levels for a new club t take up to NRL with them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
BBL is light entertainment. Like Rugby 7's or league 9's.

80,000 wouldn't march in the streets if Perth Heat were kicked out of the comp.
maybe in 100 years time they would! Any new club isnt going to have the rusted on emotional lifelong fan history of long established clubs, but even they started somewhere with nothing!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Besides, by far the most important factor is TV revenue, not memberships or ticket sales. That is the behemoth chunk of the pie.
Maybe for the NRL but for clubs getting 25k plus to games and a 30k membership will generate a heck of a lot more revenue than the tv grant ever will.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
maybe in 100 years time they would! Any new club isnt going to have the rusted on emotional lifelong fan history of long established clubs, but even they started somewhere with nothing!

Yes that may be the case but to get to that point we shouldn't kill off our current history otherwise we are just another soulless franchise TV sport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The ARLC needs to be smart and let Brisbane 2 run its home games at fan friendly times so that they have a chance to draw in young families who cannot get to a game on a Thurs/Fri night. If they do that them they could have a solid fanbase from day one.

That's a very good idea and would stick it to the likes of Eddie Maguire and Jeff Kennett. They would hate RL being the talk of the town for an entire weekend before AwFuL kicks off its season.

Which ground would host it?

MCG or the indoor ground?
Agreed, give them the Sunday afternoon FTA spot for the first season at least. Mind you if Fox pay the bulk of the cost they ay want them on a Saturday evening in their prime slot. Though this is RL so they'll probably stick them on a Thursday night or Friday 6pm!

I dont see Magic working anywhere else. There's not enough travelling fans and there's not enough host city fans of other clubs to hold it anywhere but Brisbane or Sydney and expect to get decent ticket sales (and that's what the NRL is after). Hopefully the Nines comes back and the NRL treats it, and the host city, better in future. Nines is a great "event" for cities like Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide.

blaza88z

Coach
Titans early days showed the support was there. A combination of on the field failure and off the field failure lost them 50% of their fanbase within a few years. They haven't yet been able to re-engage that 50%. A winning team will help but they need to do more to connect with the RL fans in their region.

How many active fans, ie attending, would a QRL cup team have? The game sI have seen on Tv have hardly anyone at them, certainly not 10k foundation levels for a new club t take up to NRL with them.

I can only speak for my local club but on a game day, you can't park your car anywhere near the ground, I have to walk to the game from my house (which isn't that far thankfully), I can't give you a figure but they pack the place in (referring to Wynnum-Manly).

tri_colours

Juniors
Kayo subscriptions from NRL fans around $100,000,000 a year. Advertising by the handful of companies that buy bulk advertising across all Fox channels equals a pss in the ocean in comparison. Loss of value of HT advertising due to having 2 or 3 games playing at once, a dry spit in the ocean.

But what are the costs for getting those subscriptions? And what are the additional costs for 10, 30second adds per game?

Jamberoo

Juniors
I don't think that you understand how much revenue Foxtel make from their ads and betting promos, and cross promotion of other shows is also important.

Also, many people, like myself, would cancel my subscription if there was too much overlapping of games. I have little interest in watching games on delay, or watching on anything beside my big screen. Both the NRL, and Fox/kayo, benefit from more people watching, and engaging in games.

Furthermore, the bulk of broadcast revenue still comes from FTA (and per game it will continue to do so for at least another decade), and the last thing they want is multiple games on other platforms competing head to head. When games are only two hours long, there is no need to have them overlapping.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think you understand how advertising packages are sold and how little value there is in the handful of HT adverts being watched by 100k extra people.

How many games do you watch live? For me its usually about 3-4 at most a round, I'd have no problem, in fact Id prefer to have options of what games I watched when I'm free to watch them live. Be great to have a choice of 3 games on a Sunday afternoon to choose from or flick between if one is a sht show.

There is if you want NRl clubs to become sustainable through an active fanbase. How many fans are put off buying memberships or becoming rusted on attendees because of games on a Thurs night, Fri 6pm, Fri night finishing at 10pm etc? IF the game ever grows and we want to grow the attending fanbases, which is where the main revenue growth is for clubs, then fan and family friendly KO times are goign to be imperative. There's a reason AFL clubs continue to push back at the AFL's desire to have more weeknight games.

Like I've said countless times, its a very common thing to have games being shown at same time in other countries and happens here in AFL.

MugaB

Coach
The bottom line and the one equation that matters is does a 9th game increase TV money enough to offset the costs of establishing two new teams. The initial article said they were confident of making a decision by June this year for 2023. That ship has sailed. If it was as much of a slam dunk as some people say, it would have been decided by now.
Covid has slowed down the process, i get that most folk can work from home and most probably get more done, but the ARLC have had to deal with the logistics of moving a whole comp to QLD for half a season, it wasn't like last year where it was shortened and stopped for a month. So the fact that they are still talking about it means probably 3 things, the NRL want a brisbane2 and they prefer to promote an existing lower grade club to do it, they want the broadcasters to pay extra for it, but if all that can't happen, a possible demotion could happen and they replace that club with the brisbane franchise...
I'm not for it, but if NRL and broadcasters wants brisbane2, but cannot budge on price, its probably the best outcome

Pippen94

First Grade

Yeah, businesses exist to make money. Fox actually draws bigger audience than nine for some matches.
You're just butt hurt because fox & nine know metrics & want extra Brisbane team, but are indifferent to western reds

Perth Red

Post Whore
TBF if broadcasters won't pay for it then that will be the end of it. I doubt that's going to happen though. Its just if they can get enough to appease the other clubs.
No one will be demoted, they have long term licenses and a seat on the commission. They have the power to remove commissioners or vlandys, no turkey is voting for christmas!

For the broadcasters its a straight up ROI proposition. Lets say the NRL is looking for $15mill min a year. For Fox thats around an extra 60k ish kayo subscribers, for FTA its an extra 150k plus TV viewers a week.

mongoose

Coach
People choose to follow a club for a wide variety of reasons, but winning is a big one. Doesn't matter who they are or what they are called if they sit at the bottom like Titans then they will struggle to build a fanbase. I don't think it needs to be an existing brand, end of day there is hardly anyone following existing Brisbane QRL clubs, but has to appeal on a number of fronts. End of day we've been hearing for years that Brisbane has a massive latent RL supporter base who wont follow the Broncos. Time to see if that is true.
People will support a team just because they like the colours they wear, or they like the mascot or maybe they like a particular player. The team doesn't have to have a history or any personal affiliation with their potential fans.

Nuke

Staff member
If they do the NRL Nines again, I'd like to see it back in Perth. That one time last year was not an indication of WA's League supporter base. It was hardly advertised / promoted, and it kicked off at about 4pm. Most people were still at work, and schoolkids barely at home, let alone getting to East Perth.
The 40° temperature also didn't help, unfortunately.

On top of that, only about half the clubs made the effort to visit schools / local footy clubs. The rest trained in private and stayed away from pretty much everyone.

It needs to be better promoted and have more community interaction in the lead-up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agr
If they do the NRL Nines again, I'd like to see it back in Perth. That one time last year was not an indication of WA's League supporter base. It was hardly advertised / promoted, and it kicked off at about 4pm. Most people were still at work, and schoolkids barely at home, let alone getting to East Perth.
The 40° temperature also didn't help, unfortunately.

On top of that, only about half the clubs made the effort to visit schools / local footy clubs. The rest trained in private and stayed away from pretty much everyone.

It needs to be better promoted and have more community interaction in the lead-up.
agreed
1. don’t hold it on valentines night
2. Hold it on a saturday afternoon/evening and sunday, not a Friday 4pm KO!
3. actually spend some money advertising it
4. set up a beer and food village
5. Make star players available in an autograph marquee
6. dont charge $75 for a ticket
7. make the whole stadium GA not seat allocations. When your at the stadium for hours and hours it’s nice to move around and get different views.

MugaB

Coach
Agr

agreed
1. don’t hold it on valentines night
2. Hold it on a saturday afternoon/evening and sunday, not a Friday 4pm KO!
3. actually spend some money advertising it
4. set up a beer and food village
5. Make star players available in an autograph marquee
6. dont charge $75 for a ticket
7. make the whole stadium GA not seat allocations. When your at the stadium for hours and hours it’s nice to move around and get different views.
I reckon it should be back at Auckland, at least when things get back to normal

Latest posts