What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It is official! The NRL is the new English Premier League

Da Doctor

Juniors
With Roberts signing with the Jack Ass's, we know that he will NOT be taking a salary cut no matter what contract is registered with the NRL says.

We really have now 4 teams that can seriously contest for the premiership each year, exactly what we see in with the English Premier League.

It all comes down to the ineptitude or scarily the willingness of the NRL to step in and limit TPA's.

If nothing is done soon, we along with others will just be making up the numbers each season, delivered into obscurity no matter how hard we try or well we a run. As any good players we develop will be poached, top coaches will be at the top clubs and our facilities will look like garage home gyms in comparison.

I love my Dragons and always will, but I am beginning to hate the league they have to play in, and that is very sad.

The Nick

Bench
The salary cap seems to pretty much have gone to shit since Gallop left. Many people didn't like how conservative he was with regards to growth of the game but his tenure was the closest we got to an even competition (where every team would have a legitimate shot at the title each year.

Wittenberg

Juniors
If he had gone to the Dogs or Souths I would have screamed the house down. One of the biggest issues in the NRL is that no journalist has the guts to write about the negative impact of TPAs or the obvious salary cap problems. No one wants to upset Poilitis, Packer or Greenberg. We are not the same as the EPL yet but possibly within 5 years we will be.

The Nick

Bench
If he had gone to the Dogs or Souths I would have screamed the house down. One of the biggest issues in the NRL is that no journalist has the guts to write about the negative impact of TPAs or the obvious salary cap problems. No one wants to upset Poilitis, Packer or Greenberg. We are not the same as the EPL yet but possibly within 5 years we will be.

Well when the journalists' employer also happens to own the Broncos it's probably in their best interests to say nothing.

WHOOSHKAA!!

Juniors
With Roberts signing with the Jack Ass's, we know that he will NOT be taking a salary cut no matter what contract is registered with the NRL says.

We really have now 4 teams that can seriously contest for the premiership each year, exactly what we see in with the English Premier League.

It all comes down to the ineptitude or scarily the willingness of the NRL to step in and limit TPA's.

If nothing is done soon, we along with others will just be making up the numbers each season, delivered into obscurity no matter how hard we try or well we a run. As any good players we develop will be poached, top coaches will be at the top clubs and our facilities will look like garage home gyms in comparison.

I love my Dragons and always will, but I am beginning to hate the league they have to play in, and that is very sad.

Bet u were"nt complaining when saints won 11 in a row.....

I don't just want to bash Doust, but in the current business environment he's clearly out of his depth. If we live in a world of TPAs and smart working of the cap (yes, even if that's sailing close to flat out cheating) we need a CEO who understands it and can manipulate it. We can whinge about the clubs that are doing it better than we are, but the truth is, they're just run more effectively. It's embarrassing for us. We're run like a suburban RSL in the 80s.

I don't just want to bash Doust, but in the current business environment he's clearly out of his depth. If we live in a world of TPAs and smart working of the cap (yes, even if that's sailing close to flat out cheating) we need a CEO who understands it and can manipulate it. We can whinge about the clubs that are doing it better than we are, but the truth is, they're just run more effectively. It's embarrassing for us. We're run like a suburban RSL in the 80s.

Yes.

Straight Shooter

BennyV

Referee

100% agree.

dragondad

First Grade
Never knew Leicester city was a top 4 team.

The point with Leicester is they will run out of steam because their squad isn't big enough. The 'big' clubs have bigger squads and can cope. Vardy won't last because the vultures will offer gazillions and nab him. I'm not saying this season but it'll happen.

Da Doctor

Juniors
Bet u were"nt complaining when saints won 11 in a row.....

No, I definitely wasn't, because I was not alive then!

Back then, you had to play for the district you lived in so the rules were very different and definitely favoured St George.

My gripe, is that the NRL boasts that each year any team can win, when realistically under the current system, only 4 (Brisbane, Roosters, Bulldogs and Souths) will fight it out year on year.

denis preston

First Grade
I think that lack of competition for the Broncos market is the real issue. The NRL needs to put a Ipswich side in sooner rather than later.All this bullshit about how well run they are, well no wonder ! The league needs a broncos competitor from the heartland of Brisbane football to dilute this massive advantage.

This needs to be first cab off the rank in regards to expansion.

TruSaint

Referee
No, I definitely wasn't, because I was not alive then!

Back then, you had to play for the district you lived in so the rules were very different and definitely favoured St George.

My gripe, is that the NRL boasts that each year any team can win, when realistically under the current system, only 4 (Brisbane, Roosters, Bulldogs and Souths) will fight it out year on year.

Back then players had full times jobs... Plumbers, Sparkies, and so on. The rules changed when we dominated.

Different era ...

SET2JT

Juniors
The point with Leicester is they will run out of steam because their squad isn't big enough. The 'big' clubs have bigger squads and can cope. Vardy won't last because the vultures will offer gazillions and nab him. I'm not saying this season but it'll happen.

Doesn't mean success. Look at Man U and Chelsea. Almost half a billion in players between them and still struggle to score.

Latest posts