What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

its official FINCH HAS LANDED

mickdo

Coach
eelavation said:
I went out to specifcally watch him all match and i can tell you, I was more than impressed. Him and Josh lewis absolutely owned The Cowboys and the individual try he scored was just amazing.

I'm excited..very very excited.
Thanks Big Kev ;-)

Perrymatta

Juniors
TBH i'm still not that happy he's coming to Parra because he has been signed to play a position he's never played before until today. He went well, scored a try and set a couple up, probably because Bwaif wasn't on the field LOL. But still, when we had Jason Smith as an option (who has played well for Parra before), it just seemed stupid at the time to sign Finch. If today wasn't a fluke, i'll happily eat my words next year.

Utey

Coach
He has played plenty of 5/8, he just hasnt had the support from the players around him to play well and consistantly there. Dont let the numbers on their backs fool you either.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Perrymatta said:
TBH i'm still not that happy he's coming to Parra because he has been signed to play a position he's never played before until today. He went well, scored a try and set a couple up, probably because Bwaif wasn't on the field LOL. But still, when we had Jason Smith as an option (who has played well for Parra before), it just seemed stupid at the time to sign Finch. If today wasn't a fluke, i'll happily eat my words next year.

you obviously haven't seen much of him, as ute said he's played plenty of times there,he was virtually a second halfback today with Josh Lewis operating the other side of the ruck and sometimes they would combined for their outside men..I'm telling you both him and Lewis literally killed the Cowboys.

mickdo

Coach
eelavation said:
you obviously haven't seen much of him, as ute said he's played plenty of times there,he was virtually a second halfback today with Josh Lewis operating the other side of the ruck and sometimes they would combined for their outside men..I'm telling you both him and Lewis literally killed the Cowboys.
Yeah, just watching the game on Fox now it pretty much looks that way. His running game is a big plus when you combine that with Timmy.

Stagger eel

Staff member
mickdo said:
Yeah, just watching the game on Fox now it pretty much looks that way. His running game is a big plus when you combine that with Timmy.

he just played his natural game, something he wasn't allowed to do for a while.

Gronk

Staff member
Stuart's blast inspires Roosters win

July 30, 2006 - 5:29PM

A blunt halftime address from coach Ricky Stuart sparked the Sydney Roosters' 40-20 come-from-behind win against North Queensland at Aussie Stadium.

The Cowboys exploded out of the blocks, racing to a 16-0 lead after 24 minutes, but last year's grand finalists didn't score again until the final minute of the match.

In between, the Roosters piled on six unanswered tries in an amazing turnaround, with departing playmaker Brett Finch the main architect of the comeback.

Given permission to join Parramatta despite being contracted to the Bondi Junction club next season, Finch scored a try and ignited an attack which had not scored a point in 122 minutes of football.

The Roosters were a different side after the main break, with players revealing that Stuart's halftime address had struck a chord.

"Sitting in the box there, seeing the same people there in the crowd each week ... They're our loyal people and at the moment we have only got our loyal people turning up, God love them," Stuart said after the match.

"At 16-0, I was feeling for them as much as the players.

"They want to see us do well, they want to see you win ... you could see how much loyalty there is from those people in tough times.

"At halftime, I said take yourself out of the equation - I said 'we owe our fans something'.

"The fans do mean something to the players, the fans do mean something to the club."

Only 7,617 diehard fans attended the match, but they found their voice in the second stanza.

Roosters centre Ryan Cross admitted the mood was dark behind the posts after the Cowboys stormed to the front.

"To be honest, we were pretty down, it was 'here we go again'," Cross said.

"At halftime we talked about the fans ... they come out every week and they haven't had much to cheer about, we've won only one out of our last eight."

The home side raised hopes of a comeback with a vital try to rookie fullback Shaun Foley just four minutes before the break.

The breakthrough sparked a remarkable comeback, with Sydney scoring two quick tries after the resumption - to centre Iosia Soliola and then David Shillington - to steal an 18-16 lead by the 49th minute.

From there the floodgates opened, as the Roosters stacked on 40 points without answer to jeopardise the Cowboys' finals aspirations.

"I thought he played real well, I was very happy for him too, it's good to see him get a good game under his belt," Stuart said of Finch's performance.

Cowboys coach Graham Murray lamented his side's inability to convert a bright start into a win.

"It's weight of possession, I can't explain that too much, but we only had 11 sets in the second half," Murray said.

"I don't want to simplify it too much, but we just didn't have enough ball."

In further bad news for the Cowboys, forwards Jacob Lillyman and Paul Bowman were placed on report for high tackles, with luckless Cross on the receiving end on both occasions.

© 2006 AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Stuarts-blast-inspires-Roosters-win/2006/07/30/1154198004474.html

Gronk

Staff member
Roosters smash Cowboys

July 30, 2006 12:00
Article from: AAP

DEPARTING playmaker Brett Finch has led a stunning revival as the Sydney Roosters pummeled North Queensland 40-20 in a bizarre NRL encounter at Aussie Stadium.

The Cowboys exploded out of the blocks, racing to a 16-0 lead after 24 minutes, but last year's grand finalists didn't score again until the final minute of the match.

In between, the Roosters piled on six unanswered tries in an amazing turnaround, with Parramatta-bound playmaker Finch the main architect of the comeback.

Given permission to join the Eels despite being contracted to the Bondi Junction club next season, Finch scored a try and sparked an attack which had not scored a point in 122 minutes of football.

The Roosters' flimsy defence was exposed just three minutes into the game when Cowboys centre Mark Henry scored a soft try, his first in the top grade.

Veteran centre Matt Sing extended the lead 12 minutes later when he latched onto a looping pass from halfback Aaron Payne, although replays suggested referee Gavin Badger may have missed a knock-on from Henry just moments earlier.

The visitors threatened to run away with the game when Parramatta discard Ashley Graham capitalised on some clever dummy half play from David Faiumu to extend the lead to 16-0.

However the Roosters, who were held to nil against the Bulldogs last weekend, finally crossed the line four minutes before halftime through Shaun Foley.

The breakthrough sparked a remarkable comeback, with the Bondi Junction club scoring two quick tries after the resumption – to centre Iosia Soliola and then David Shillington – to steal an 18-16 lead by the 49th minute.

From there the floodgates opened, as the Roosters stacked on 40 points without answer to jeopardise the Cowboys' finals aspirations.

In further bad news for the Cowboys, forwards Jacob Lillyman and Paul Bowman were placed on report for high tackles, with luckless centre Ryan Cross on the receiving end on both occasions.

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,19960721-5006066,00.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
if anyone can get the opportunity to see Finch's try if they haven't done so..make a point of it, it was something special.

mind you it was pipped by Josh Lewis's effort...that was a screamer.

Gronk

Staff member
eelavation said:
if anyone can get the opportunity to see Finch's try if they haven't done so..make a point of it, it was something special.

Yeah I was just about to post the same thing. He took the line on, stepped of both feet and ran 40m to score. It was sweet.

Stagger eel

Staff member
it'll be interesting to see how he backs up this week, I don't think he can play better than what he did yesterday.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
I posted somewhere else that I thought Finch was easily the Roosters most creative player when he came on against the Dogs last week but just lacked the support of his teammates. I mentioned that it looks like a considerable load has been lifted off his shoulders. Yesterday just confirmed this. How happy did he look out there?

I was unbelievably impressed with nearly his whole game. Whether it was his passing or running game, or his organisational skills barking at his fellow players especially the forwards, or his enthusiasm. His kicking game was not 100% but not bad. I am also very excited that he is joining us. He is also a genuine half as opposed to Morris

Just on a side note with the Josh Lewis try, doesn't his step look eeringly similar to a recent retired Roosters great.

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
I posted somewhere else that I thought Finch was easily the Roosters most creative player when he came on against the Dogs last week but just lacked the support of his teammates. I mentioned that it looks like a considerable load has been lifted off his shoulders. Yesterday just confirmed this. How happy did he look out there?

I was unbelievably impressed with nearly his whole game. Whether it was his passing or running game, or his organisational skills barking at his fellow players especially the forwards, or his enthusiasm. His kicking game was not 100% but not bad. I am also very excited that he is joining us. He is also a genuine half as opposed to Morris

Just on a side note with the Josh Lewis try, doesn't his step look eeringly similar to a recent retired Roosters great.

Finch came on and played hooker against the Dogs didn't he?? he was a waste there.

I to stand applaud Lewis's try after that it was a sensational individual effort.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
eelavation said:
Finch came on and played hooker against the Dogs didn't he?? he was a waste there.

I to stand applaud Lewis's try after that it was a sensational individual effort.

Finch actually played a bit of 5/8th against the dogs as Braith went off (I think). Also on Finch's enthusiasm yesterday, when there was no dummy half at times after quick play the balls, Finch stepped in and did an adequate job there.

Since you were at the game, what were the Roosters fans reactions to his game?

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Finch actually played a bit of 5/8th against the dogs as Braith went off (I think). Also on Finch's enthusiasm yesterday, when there was no dummy half at times after quick play the balls, Finch stepped in and did an adequate job there.

Since you were at the game, what were the Roosters fans reactions to his game?

ok, didn't see much of the dogs game..

Mate, it's hard to guage a crowd of 7000..when he's name was read out there was hardley any reaction or no more than any other player but did get a standing ovation when he scored the try.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
not a bad try was it ?

good runing effort, unlike our current 5/8 who plays as an alternative half back, maybe its what we need

not knocking Morris, we need an alternative playmaker with Timmy out and Jeremy is average