What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's on: TV rights to sports in chaos as News signals an NRL offload

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Worse still... Loudstrat believes the News Ltd/SL side of the game was solely to blame for what happened between 1995 and 1997.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The best result for the NRL is to have as many channels possible in some big deal.

$1.5 billion for 4 years. 500 million from Seven, Nine and Ten each. 125 million a year per station.

Everyone gets a bargain and NRL gets the cash it should be getting.

The fans get more NRL televised on free to air TV.

Most importantly, Murdoch gets f**ked off!

Perth Red

Post Whore
If it really does go to open tender and 7 * 10 are interested then Fox are really going to have to stump up. There whole financial modelling is built on having RL and attracting RL supporters to subscribe. Without the NRL Fox is dead in the water. I think of all the stations Fox will have to pay out the biggest.

Ch7 SOO and tests
Ch10 Finals
Ch9 & Fox regular season

= $$$$$$$'s for RL

This is great news for our game. Rugby league prospered with sensible expansion in the 1980s and early 1990s without News Limited. It can do it again, this time with a commission charged with doing what's best for the long term health of the code, rather than a leadershiop structure that toadies to countless vested interests. It means the full potential of the game as the premier code in Australia has a chance of being realised.

elbusto

Coach
If it really does go to open tender and 7 * 10 are interested then Fox are really going to have to stump up. There whole financial modelling is built on having RL and attracting RL supporters to subscribe. Without the NRL Fox is dead in the water. I think of all the stations Fox will have to pay out the biggest.

Ch7 SOO and tests
Ch10 Finals
Ch9 & Fox regular season

= $$$$$$$'s for RL
Most importantly the NRL has the opportunity to learn from the failure of the AFL in Sydney and Brisbane markets and to get this right.

The AFL must be spewing at this news. Its a beautiful day - but there is a long way to go.

I think Gallop is the very right man to have now as he has not thrown his weight around like Vlad and has the capacity to argue a valid case over the new Television rights.

The AFL has been so heavy handed it has run out of surprises.

just my opinion.

Avenger

Immortal
No current teams should die. At the very worst some could relocate. Murdoch and New Limited can get f**ked.

babyg

Juniors

Ch7 SOO and tests
Ch10 Finals
Ch9 & Fox regular season

= $$$$$$$'s for RL

Needs to be at least one FTA game on Saturday nights. 10 don't seem to mind taking ratings hits, give it to them.

babyg

Juniors
I can see where 7 is going. If 7 get hold of Origins, they will absolutely own the ratings year. Origin hands 9 the ratings week 3 times a year.
7 will want this to rub it in. If egos get involved then stations may be willing to pay overs for Origin. Megabucks

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope whover gets Origins and Tests has it written in that they have to show Test matches live or at a decent time nationally. the Kangaroos are a massively unknown and untapped resource for RL.

superdog

Juniors
Most importantly the NRL has the opportunity to learn from the failure of the AFL in Sydney and Brisbane markets and to get this right.

The AFL must be spewing at this news. Its a beautiful day - but there is a long way to go.

I think Gallop is the very right man to have now as he has not thrown his weight around like Vlad and has the capacity to argue a valid case over the new Television rights.

The AFL has been so heavy handed it has run out of surprises.

just my opinion.

mate, all three networks will still be busting their balls to get the afl rights. don't pop the champers quite yet

elbusto

Coach
mate, all three networks will still be busting their balls to get the afl rights. don't pop the champers quite yet
I agree but at least we are in it this time and the big fish are the Regular Season with the Finals attached , The Tests and the State of Origin.

The AFL has only one competition worth talking about and thats the regular Season. The NAB cup ratings and crowd are crap.

We have a clear advantage as we have three comps to sell and I think Gallop and his boys know it.

10 million people in Australia watched the 3 SOO games this year in total. And that is with underwhelming advertising in the minor States - the potential there alone is huge and its easier to sell to the networks than a West Sydney AFL Team believe me.

LESStar58

Referee
I'm excited by all this considering some of the names being floated to have a place on the board (Dixon, Pemberton etc. blokes who have a history of running big companies) but I always get worried when I hear about Seven and Ten flagging their involvement.

Being based down here I'm hoping for better coverage into Melbourne but can't see either of those 2 broadcasters playing ball.

elbusto

Coach
Lets look at it this way:

We have 26 rounds of Regular Season football - the AFL has 22 (that will change).

We have State of Origin - they have nothing.

We have Test Football -they have virtually nothing.

We have the Eastern Sea Board covered - they are proven ratings failures in those markets.

We have untapped potential to grow the game and audiences in the minor States - they are throwing good money at a dead project - West Sydney.

The advantage the AFL has is Teams in every mainland State - but we have a second country (New Zealand) which is a growing market.

However you look at it we have the capacity to maximise the game's potential - it will require an Independent Commission - it does not need to see the death of any Club. It just requires a lot of good planning and, as I keep saying, learn from the mistakes of the past.

And its positive - and all lovers of League deserve someting positive at last!

taste2taste

Juniors
I hope this new TV deal gives better coverage to League. New and smaller markets need to be exposed to the game to gain a following.

All Storm games should be shown live into Melbourne.

All Warriors games should be live to NZ, at the moment Warriors games are hidden on subscriber television, League could make some enormous inroads on Union over the next 5 years.

Im assuming Perth will have a team by the next tv deal, all Reds games go live into Perth.

greenhat

Juniors
I always get worried when I hear about Seven and Ten flagging their involvement.

Being based down here I'm hoping for better coverage into Melbourne but can't see either of those 2 broadcasters playing ball.

Look at it this way Lesstar, its impossible they could be -worse- than 9.
Plus channel 10 would be fantastic for the game, they support their current code (AFL) to the hilt. ONE has massive coverage of it Australia wide, all their shows are full of pro AFL people, and they show the swans in sydney live even tho they rate absolutely woefully. If they get the rights to the NRL too I think its reasonable to assume they'd do the same for rugby league.

I actually think one of the best results would be if all 3 stations got some RL. Money matters aside, it would mean all TV stations had an interest in promoting the code rather than the huge ignore-RL/boost-AFL thing that 7 and 10 currently do across all their shows.

The only possible downside would be Bruth Macavaney commentating a rugby league game, but honestly, I can watch a test match on mute if 7 comes with all its other benefits.

Goddo

Bench
I hope this new TV deal gives better coverage to League. New and smaller markets need to be exposed to the game to gain a following.

All Storm games should be shown live into Melbourne.

All Warriors games should be live to NZ, at the moment Warriors games are hidden on subscriber television, League could make some enormous inroads on Union over the next 5 years.

Im assuming Perth will have a team by the next tv deal, all Reds games go live into Perth.

I agree in principle, but not live. Instead, within say 1 hour of the game starting. This allows TV companies to milk a few more advertising dollars and doesn't bite into crowds.

Latest posts