What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's on: TV rights to sports in chaos as News signals an NRL offload

Green Machine

First Grade
Interesting article on the cricket rights in the UK. Looks like UK Labour has upset Rupert:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/oct/11/ashes-return-to-terrestrial-tv

Ashes will return to terrestrial TV

Review of leading sporting events recommends making England-Australia Test matches free-to-air
Live coverage of the next Ashes cricket series in the UK is set to return to free-to-air television, it has been revealed.
Cricket's greatest showpiece, which this summer was only shown live on paid-for broadcaster Sky, will return to terrestrial television when the England-Australia series returns to the UK in 2013.
The move follows a review of leading sporting events led by David Davies, the former Football Association executive. Ministers are expected to fully back its recommendations on the Ashes, it is claimed.
A senior government source told the Sunday Telegraph: "It's a no-brainer. This is one thing we can do that chimes in with the wishes of millions of voters."
A peak of just two million viewers watched this summer's deciding Test at the Oval when it was broadcast on Sky. By contrast, more than 7 million viewers watched the conclusion of the previous home Ashes series on Channel 4 in 2005.
Despite the welcome move for England cricket fans, the ruling is likely to anger Sky executives, who acquired the rights to screen the next home Ashes series as part of a £300m deal with the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) last year.
Tensions between the government and Rupert Murdoch, the owner of Sky and newspaper group News International, are already high following the Sun newspaper's decision to withdraw its support for Labour and back David Cameron's Conservatives at the coming election.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Sweeney is hardly a trustworthy source.. iirc, they also reported that 40% of RL supporters are female.. highly unlikely that it is close to half

Goddo

Bench
Very close to the mark here in Melbourne.

Looking at the figures, maybe they only poled people in melbourne. I don't think NRL numbers would be as low as 36% and unions as high as 32%.

These poles are stupid anyway. "Are you interested in X?" Very open sort of question to ask. I would say yes to all 4 sports. I don't follow an AFL club or watch games, but I am interested in it.