What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's Time Taylor Has To Go

heres the problem with souths.

well. theres a few.

every week, you guys lose the possesion battle. last night the raiders had 5 repeat sets in the first half and scored twice without souths touching the ball. also, souths are poor at wrapping up offloads.

you never had the baqll against the titans. nor the warriors.

this tires the players out quickly, resulting in the most conservative and boring gameplan in the comp.
when souths have the ball, they ruck it one out (about 5 feet from the dummy half i might add). no one follows this player with the footy. no decoys, no second man play...nothing.you repeat it 5 times then kick it away.

pretty simple to defend a team that rarely passes the ball 2 wide.

what i dont understand is why?

you guys have

Merritt
Best
Talanoa
Champion

theyre good skillful fast players. they rarely see the ball. if anything i would have thought that they were your main advantage rather than your pack.

perhaps JT thinks the pack is better than it really is.

hpwever last night it was obvious canberra were winning the advaqntage line battle. they played compressed in defence. what did you guys do?

bash up the guts. not mucdh intelligence there.

Last edited:

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Interesting and somewhat accurate assessment, in my opinion.

I think Souths could be accused on being arrogant, especially Jason Taylor.

The team is good enough, I have no doubts there but I'd hardly call any team in the NRL "non contenders".

Canberra were fantastic last night and would have beaten most of their rivals on that display.

He also called me arrogant, but hey ...

"Non-contenders" = not going to be contesting finals football and therefore CANNOT win the premiership. If you CAN'T win, then you're NOT a "contender".

This should not to be confused with "non-competitive" or "poor".

It's not rocket science and it's not an editorial comment about Canberra. I wasn't implying that the Raiders weren't good enough to beat the Rabbitohs (or anyone else), but rather that teams that might still consider themselves "contenders" cannot regularly surrender two competition points to teams placed below them on the ladder and highly unlikely to make the finals themselves. It was a criticism of the Bunnies more than anything else.

If the Raiders make the finals, I'll dig this up and issue an apology. No worries.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
We must have positional changes this week.
Taylor - Out the door
Lang - To Coach
Wing - To Half
Sandow - To Metro Cup
Capewell - To anywhere but 1st grade

I'd say back in the U.S Watching it like all of us Rusty wouldn't be happy let's hope he is on the phone to Richo to give Taylor the Thumbs Down.

Fein

First Grade
He also called me arrogant, but hey ...

"Non-contenders" = not going to be contesting finals football and therefore CANNOT win the premiership. If you CAN'T win, then you're NOT a "contender".

This should not to be confused with "non-competitive" or "poor".

It's not rocket science and it's not an editorial comment about Canberra. I wasn't implying that the Raiders weren't good enough to beat the Rabbitohs (or anyone else), but rather that teams that might still consider themselves "contenders" cannot regularly surrender two competition points to teams placed below them on the ladder and highly unlikely to make the finals themselves. It was a criticism of the Bunnies more than anything else.

If the Raiders make the finals, I'll dig this up and issue an apology. No worries.

Apologies Ike, I wasn't agreeing that you were arrogant but I felt there was merit in the term applying to JT's game plan.

Fein

First Grade
heres the problem with souths.

well. theres a few.

every week, you guys lose the possesion battle. last night the raiders had 5 repeat sets in the first half and scored twice without souths touching the ball. also, souths are poor at wrapping up offloads.

you never had the baqll against the titans. nor the warriors.

this tires the players out quickly, resulting in the most conservative and boring gameplan in the comp.
when souths have the ball, they ruck it one out (about 5 feet from the dummy half i might add). no one follows this player with the footy. no decoys, no second man play...nothing.you repeat it 5 times then kick it away.

pretty simple to defend a team that rarely passes the ball 2 wide.

what i dont understand is why?

you guys have

Merritt
Best
Talanoa
Champion

theyre good skillful fast players. they rarely see the ball. if anything i would have thought that they were your main advantage rather than your pack.

perhaps JT thinks the pack is better than it really is.

hpwever last night it was obvious canberra were winning the advaqntage line battle. they played compressed in defence. what did you guys do?

bash up the guts. not mucdh intelligence there.

Great analysis, especially the conundrum as to why the backs don't get enough ball.

You could have driven a train down the corridor of open space Merrit had in the Titans game but the ball getting to him was often stymied by a "confused" Sandow.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Apologies Ike, I wasn't agreeing that you were arrogant but I felt there was merit in the term applying to JT's game plan.
Fein old mate What Game Plan he hasn't got one and doesn't know how to find one.
Looking at Taylor on the post match interview it appears to me he would make an excellent undertaker! he has proved over the past 3 years he simply can't coach. No game plan,No moves and he plays favourites good coaches worth their salt have a game plan have moves and don't play favourites.

Fein

First Grade
Fein old mate What Game Plan he hasn't got one and doesn't know how to find one.
Looking at Taylor on the post match interview it appears to me he would make an excellent undertaker! he has proved over the past 3 years he simply can't coach. No game plan,No moves and he plays favourites good coaches worth their salt have a game plan have moves and don't play favourites.

Can't argue with any of that AR.

Ike E Bear

Juniors

Haha, no worries.

JT has shown flashes at times (or at least the team's he has coach have managed to string together some decent performances), but I think the "slow to learn" criticism is probably quite fair.

As bad as he might be going, I wouldn't trade him for Michael Hagan. He nearly killed me last year with his handling at the Eels.

Going back to my piont about having a talented squad, though, I honestly believe that in terms of number and distribution Souths comprise more talented individuals than the vast majority of other teams. Melbourne and Brisbane stand out as teams packed with individual brilliance.

The point is that other coaches achieve A LOT more with more modest personnel. The likes of Wayne Bennett creates star players - Boyd, Soward, Poore, Weyman and Prior are all playing career best football.

Even the stars at the Storm and Broncos were by-and-large developed by those clubs.

I'm not sure if David Furner is up to snuff yet, but as previously stated the Raiders traditionally do very well with what they have - they almost always start the year as supposed wooden spoon contenders and almost always "over-performer".

JT can't afford to continue to under-perform the way his team has over the past 15 or so months.

There is no point in being a team of "champions" because you will be get flogged by champion teams nine times out of 10.

I think it was DaveQ who said that the Bulldogs were a team of strangers, yet played like a family. That's the goal, gentlemen.

rabs

Staff member
looks like a lot of supporters felt the same, this was really the last straw for a lot of us with this unimaginative attacking gameplan

the commentators summed it up perfectly... "Souths are not making it happen". Forget about Canberra, they were great and have been a bogey team for a while and fully deserved the win and scoreline but Souths did not have a go.

I think that's about 4 weeks in a row with 45% of possession or less. In previous games the defence has been magnificent but was not last night. Hit up after hit up one pass off the ruck just doesn't cut it especially when you have talent in your team. Taylor has to change things (in attack) immediately or be shown the door.

I think that's about 4 weeks in a row with 45% of possession or less. In previous games the defence has been magnificent but was not last night. Hit up after hit up one pass off the ruck just doesn't cut it especially when you have talent in your team. Taylor has to change things (in attack) immediately or be shown the door.

thats it completely.

you guys have good backs. Merrit is a known try scorer. so is Colin best. Champion has good footwork, and talanoa is big and fast.

they never see the ball.

it amazes me.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
thats it completely.

you guys have good backs. Merrit is a known try scorer. so is Colin best. Champion has good footwork, and talanoa is big and fast.

they never see the ball.

it amazes me.
Poor old Besty this is the least amount of tries he has scored this far into a season ever. Taylor has to have a good look at himself and say I haven't got it and do the honourable thing and Resign immediately and try and save our season either that or Rusty or Richo have to sack him it's as simple as that.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I think if you're looking for a coach then you have the choice of Langy, who I think would still be up for the job, or throw a blank cheque at Stephen Kearney.

Both these gusy have the ability to consisitently bring out the best in the Poly boys & you guys have a multitude of them. No doubt they are talented, but also shy & they don't always respond to intense coaching.

I think one of those two are your best options.

How long is JT contracted for?

And how's everyones opinion of Sandow now? For mine and I said it earlier this year, he'll need to learn to play for the team. Still far to individual. Talented no doubt, but still a long way to go and a LOT to learn about being an NRL halfback.

African Monkey

First Grade
Poor old Besty this is the least amount of tries he has scored this far into a season ever.
Yeah I feel for the guy as well. He tackles his heart out in the centres yet the only time he gets the ball is when he goes looking for it at dummy half doing the dirty work coming out of our own half.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Yeah I feel for the guy as well. He tackles his heart out in the centres yet the only time he gets the ball is when he goes looking for it at dummy half doing the dirty work coming out of our own half.
AM our backs seen more ball when McRae was coach Merritt was the leading try scorer and we gave the ball some air but now it stops with our forwards & that's it! The more you analyse it the more you realise Taylor is a miserable failure and has to be shown the door we can't put up with anymore of this sh*t from this day forward OUT,OUT OUT he goes!.

African Monkey

First Grade
AM our backs seen more ball when McRae was coach Merritt was the leading try scorer and we gave the ball some air but now it stops with our forwards & that's it! The more you analyse it the more you realise Taylor is a miserable failure and has to be shown the door we can't put up with anymore of this sh*t from this day forward OUT,OUT OUT he goes!.
:lol: I recommend you start a JT hate club and write something along those lines about the man in your sig.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
:lol: I recommend you start a JT hate club and write something along those lines about the man in your sig.
AM I don't hate him I don't hate anyone I just think he has run his race and has to be replaced with someone new with new ideas such as eg Lang, Lazarus who is making a name for himself with Ipswich but I would prefer someone who has coached at the Highest level in the NRL and succeded like Lang or even Murray not Hagan.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
looks like a lot of supporters felt the same, this was really the last straw for a lot of us with this unimaginative attacking gameplan

the commentators summed it up perfectly... "Souths are not making it happen". Forget about Canberra, they were great and have been a bogey team for a while and fully deserved the win and scoreline but Souths did not have a go.

Rabs you have summed it up perfectly.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Yep that was a bad game.

Raiders were incredibly fast all over the field, it made us look like we were in slow motion. Our forwards look like they're playing with head colds, no mongrel whatsoever. What exactly is Tallis doing for us?? I'm beginning to wonder what, if any, impact/effect he is having on our pack??

Time to bleed some players....slowly, not a massive shake up but introduce. What is the status with Tyrell and Crossman? Are they ready?( hard to get any info up here in Brisbane) I reckon we're missing Wesser at the back too, invaluable game experience.

As for JT, I hope Lang pulls the bull by the horns.

Give Kidwell a miss, Fire up Asotasi and co and for Christ's sake start Luke!!!