What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's Time Taylor Has To Go

glory glory

Juniors
agree with all of that

I don't think Tallis is doing anything. The forwards have been off the boil for weeks. It looks like Luke will start this week so it proves Taylor can change a mistake at least on 1 thing.

I agree changes need to be made and I don't know about Tyrell and Crossman either. I would love to see Greenfield given a chance if he is not injured. We need Wesser back badly Capewell is not a 1st grade fullback.

Hopefully there is also a change in game plan for Townsville or we will get flogged again.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
agree with all of that

I don't think Tallis is doing anything. The forwards have been off the boil for weeks. It looks like Luke will start this week so it proves Taylor can change a mistake at least on 1 thing.

I agree changes need to be made and I don't know about Tyrell and Crossman either. I would love to see Greenfield given a chance if he is not injured. We need Wesser back badly Capewell is not a 1st grade fullback.

Hopefully there is also a change in game plan for Townsville or we will get flogged again.
GG there hasn't been a game plan change for 3 yrs so why will it be any different.I agree with you about Capewell he is excess baggage that we can't afford but he is one of JT's favourites along with McPherson who also is not a 1st grader.

Galeforce

Bench
i believe this Title is wrong and stupid and not worthy of ture south sydney supporters.

first FORWARDS set the platforms and win games.Our forwards could not make the yards , whilst Raiders made the yards and smothered our blokes up the middle.

Our kicking game was not on in general play , however we do normally have a reasonable territorial kicking game with Sutton and Sandow on field. Maybe they were both feeling their way back , although Sutton had a great game.

We need a real go forward prop who really sucks in the defence and hurts folks. we do not have that at the moment. this is NOT Asotasi's game , he is NOT a big prop.He is a big second rower or a great prop if he plays besides a monster aggro prop who sucks in players .

Do not blame the coach for yesterdays loss.

African Monkey

First Grade
We need a real go forward prop who really sucks in the defence and hurts folks. we do not have that at the moment. this is NOT Asotasi's game , he is NOT a big prop.He is a big second rower or a great prop if he plays besides a monster aggro prop who sucks in players .
I'm beginning to think that Asotasi should be moved to the 2nd row for a few games to see if a change of position might get him working those offloads and finding a bit of form but tbh, is there anyone who can come in at prop ? How's Greenfield going ?

Dogmatix

Juniors
McPherson should be playing more minutes. I would have him out there for the full 80 minutes myself. Turn him into an 80 minute tackling machine

Asotasi is playing too many minutes. I would cut Roy back by 10 minutes and give Luke Stuart an extra 10 minutes. Luke Stuart is a plodder but a good plodder who should be able to play for longer at the same intensity.

Asotasi, Pettybourne and Faalogo should be used for shorter stints but look to run hard and make an impact. McPherson, Stuart and Crocker can play for longer minutes to allow the Kiwis to play shorter, more explosive stints

Craig Wing is not a lock. Either Wing into the halves and Sandow out or Wing interchange bench as he was earlier in the season and will be with NSW tomorrow

Kidwell should be the one to miss out for a younger player

Capewell is going OK. Probably a bit too small for an NRL fullback but he is not the major problem. He should be looking to make it in the halves if anywhere

Basically JT needs to revamp some of his selections and put guys in the right positions and playing for the right length of time

Then you need to have players running to where the defenders are not (ie space) instead of running into where the defence is thickest. Opposition teams are using compressed defences against Souths so for Souths the only thing at the moment is to take the risk and play with width and go to where the defence is thin

OVP

Coach
I'm beginning to think that Asotasi should be moved to the 2nd row for a few games to see if a change of position might get him working those offloads and finding a bit of form but tbh, is there anyone who can come in at prop ? How's Greenfield going ?

I've often wondered why Souths fans dont mention this a bit more. Taylor is wasting Asotasi like Ricky Stupid and the Poms coaches used to waste Adrian Morley.

Asotasi and Morley i see as two similar players. Sometimes Ricky Stupid would move Mozz to prop, which totally blunted his natural defence and natural offload skills. A prop is really only a tackling battering ram anyway. Asotasi should be moved to second row to let his natural skills shine through. Him as a wide-running second rower would be truly devastating.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
McPherson should be playing more minutes. I would have him out there for the full 80 minutes myself. Turn him into an 80 minute tackling machine (He Is a long way of being a 1st grader leave him out there for 80 mins 8 minutes is to long he does absolutely nothing)

Capewell is going OK. Probably a bit too small for an NRL fullback but he is not the major problem. (Z Grader trying to make it into Y Grade)

Basically JT needs to revamp some of his selections and put guys in the right positions and playing for the right length of time (Correct)

Then you need to have players running to where the defenders are not (ie space) instead of running into where the defence is thickest. Opposition teams are using compressed defences against Souths so for Souths the only thing at the moment is to take the risk and play with width and go to where the defence is thin
(This hasn't happend in 3 yrs of Taylors Coaching NO GAME PLAN No MOVES)

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Whilst teams fall out of form, not only are we out of form, but we are playing like the dumbest League team without any kind of tactics.

Many good points on this thread, including those from non-Souths supporters.

I have met JT, he is a really nice bloke who is passionate about the team, which makes it even harder to say that it is time for him to go.

Sandow needs to go back to reggies, if he is not the worst half in the comp at the moment, he is not far off. I could name about 5 others that should be throwing on the red and black, but first things first is the Coach.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
As an outsider I thought the strangest thing with Souths was how little they found touch or open ground with their kicks. If Milne has a weakness its he can be found out a little with his positional play but every kick went straight to him. So we could get the ball up to the thirty for the first tackle.

Another odd one was you guys didn't persist with the grubber in behind the outside backs. Milne will often get caught out at the back and Purtell will rush up and is slow to turn around. (We don't call him the Turtle for nothing). I can't remember you guys trying it again after that.

Also I think the Raiders have looked a THOUSAND times better since TLL has been in the second-row. So there might be merit to the idea of putting Asotasi there.

melon....

Coach
Whilst teams fall out of form, not only are we out of form, but we are playing like the dumbest League team without any kind of tactics.

Zig, I wouldnt be panicking at this stage. You blokes are in touch with the 8, and its only half time. My blokes have to start again, every week. Easts had a habit of dropping off mid season too (when we were winning), rep commitments or not, but its better to drop form now and to ramp up again at the business end. Hitting form in june/July is about 4-6 weeks too early - I wouldnt be worried in your position. And for the Souffs fans who want Taylor sacked - ffs! Wake up you idiots. Take it from a dinky Dye Easts fan. I dont like Souffs and dont like Taylor, but any idiot can see he is doing oK with the cattle he's got. you have some very ordinary players, playing some extraordinary football. i reckon the coach has a bit to do with that.

We've got big names playing like busteds, not even trying. You guys have no right to be whinging in the position youre in.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
hagan's looking for a job so is noble in the uk
Hagan No way & Noble we've had pommy coaches out here before they all failed remember Roy Francis etc the only one that was any good was Mal Reilly but he had a guy called Andrew Johns calling the shots (So Did Hagan) how good would they have been if he didn't have him Hagan proved thatwhen he went to Parra Lang will do nicely

Last edited:

Fein

First Grade
Zig, I wouldnt be panicking at this stage. You blokes are in touch with the 8, and its only half time. My blokes have to start again, every week. Easts had a habit of dropping off mid season too (when we were winning), rep commitments or not, but its better to drop form now and to ramp up again at the business end. Hitting form in june/July is about 4-6 weeks too early - I wouldnt be worried in your position. And for the Souffs fans who want Taylor sacked - ffs! Wake up you idiots. Take it from a dinky Dye Easts fan. I dont like Souffs and dont like Taylor, but any idiot can see he is doing oK with the cattle he's got. you have some very ordinary players, playing some extraordinary football. i reckon the coach has a bit to do with that.

We've got big names playing like busteds, not even trying. You guys have no right to be whinging in the position youre in.

I take your point Melon but seriously, Taylor DOES have the cattle to work with.

I'm interested in your opinion as to whom you rate as "very ordinary players playing extraordinary football".

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Agreed. Every team has to have it's no-frills workers (McPherson, Ben Lowe and a few others). Manly has them, Melbourne has them, Brisbane has them.

The challenge for the coach is to get the most out of those players and to make sure the stars are firing to their potential. If anything, the tradesmen at the Bunnies (e.g. Stuart) are outshining the superstars (e.g. Asotasi).

I'd say the only especially weak position on the field for the Bunnies is fullback. That's not to say Capewell is a bad player ... he just isn't a fullback. That's why they bought Wesser in the first place. It's kind of like Wing getting injured last year all over again.

I often wonder how the team would be going if Champion had been put at the back.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
[

I often wonder how the team would be going if Champion had been put at the back.[/QUOTE] We've seen Champion at Fullback he is as bad a Capewell he has NO IDEA of taking a high ball.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Fair enough.

I haven't seen him play there.

I'm just about willing to take anyone there right now, if it gets Capewell off the job.

He's got talent, but he just isn't a fullback and the job is too important to trust to an inexperience kid playing out of position.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
Fair enough.

I haven't seen him play there.

I'm just about willing to take anyone there right now, if it gets Capewell off the job.

He's got talent, but he just isn't a fullback and the job is too important to trust to an inexperience kid playing out of position.
You can either move Merrit & Talanoa to Fullback Bring up Simpson or McQueen or maybe give them ago at Fullback we cannot be any worse off Capewell just hasn't got it

African Monkey

First Grade
[

I often wonder how the team would be going if Champion had been put at the back.
We've seen Champion at Fullback he is as bad a Capewell he has NO IDEA of taking a high ball.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I remember his performance against Brisbane in 2007. He had no idea there.