What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

its time.

saint-stefano

Juniors
just my veiw but i think its time that we introduced 3 new teams ..perth ,2nd new zealand team and central coast bears and have 2 ten team comps with promotion and regulation ....its very clear we dont have enough first grade players to run a 17 team comp look at poor west tigers tonight they were shocking like out dragons of late just not good enough second comp will give them something to play for with a more even comp .... like i said just my veiw

dannyt

Coach
just my veiw but i think its time that we introduced 3 new teams ..perth ,2nd new zealand team and central coast bears and have 2 ten team comps with promotion and regulation ....its very clear we dont have enough first grade players to run a 17 team comp look at poor west tigers tonight they were shocking like out dragons of late just not good enough second comp will give them something to play for with a more even comp .... like i said just my veiw
Nice opinion. I have a few questions.

If there aren't enough FG footballers, then how do you expected relegated teams to attract FG-quality players to compete when they managed to get promoted to the top tier system?

Won't this ensure all the quality players move to the top clubs to stay in the top tier, while the bottom clubs battle it out every year for the opportunity to just get belted by the top clubs when they manage to be successful in the lower tier?

Last edited:
I am an advocate of promotion and relegation

10 to 12 teams in each division.

The joint venture clubs could disband with Balmain, Wests, Illawarra and Saints returning as independent entities if they wish.

It may well be that the JV clubs maintain their current structures, however given the fact that both boards are dysfunctional, it would provide an opportunity for new investment and change.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Whilst the idea has merits, the greater fear is that it will end up like the EPL, 4 OR 5 mega-clubs, a couple of mid-range and then those perrenialy fighting against relegation.

The 'best' players will always lean towards playing for the mega-clubs, and those in 2nd tier who raise juniors to play at the top level would enevitably lose them. And the cycle repeats year after year.

To have an effective promotion relegation system, one would think you'd have to have at least 15-16 teams in each division and there simply isn't enough players to do that unfortunately.

Whilst the idea has merits, the greater fear is that it will end up like the EPL, 4 OR 5 mega-clubs, a couple of mid-range and then those perrenialy fighting against relegation.

The 'best' players will always lean towards playing for the mega-clubs, and those in 2nd tier who raise juniors to play at the top level would enevitably lose them. And the cycle repeats year after year.

To have an effective promotion relegation system, one would think you'd have to have at least 15-16 teams in each division and there simply isn't enough players to do that unfortunately.
Basically what we have now Dragonslayer

4-5 teams contending

Heaps of also Rabs starting from 6th to 14th, then the dregs

TruSaint

Referee
They are looking at it.

Let's remember, the last time it went from 16 to 20 was 1995. Of the 4 teams who entered , Cows, Auckland, Perth and Adelaide, 2 have survived and 1 go on to win the comp. The 2 that failed was a result of poor planning and funding.

Couple of reasons i think it's doable.

1.) The talent pool in 2023 is much more diverse with the pacific island player now making up a large portion of playing stock. Have a look through a roster in mid 90's and today. It's much more diverse.

2.) Money. The ARL were virtually broke when they had to engage Tina Turner to come out and resurrect the game. I remember an interview with Quale / Arthurson saying they had to go seeking "overdraft" funds to keep the League afloat.

The NRL, as a result of streaming services, broadcast rights, social media etc etc etc is a multi billion dollar business.

Reading the history of the game between say 92 and 98, i am amazed it survived. If I can find a link to the Arthurson interview I will post it.

justadragon

Bench
They are looking at it.

Let's remember, the last time it went from 16 to 20 was 1995. Of the 4 teams who entered , Cows, Auckland, Perth and Adelaide, 2 have survived and 1 go on to win the comp. The 2 that failed was a result of poor planning and funding.

Couple of reasons i think it's doable.

1.) The talent pool in 2023 is much more diverse with the pacific island player now making up a large portion of playing stock. Have a look through a roster in mid 90's and today. It's much more diverse.

2.) Money. The ARL were virtually broke when they had to engage Tina Turner to come out and resurrect the game. I remember an interview with Quale / Arthurson saying they had to go seeking "overdraft" funds to keep the League afloat.

The NRL, as a result of streaming services, broadcast rights, social media etc etc etc is a multi billion dollar business.

Reading the history of the game between say 92 and 98, i am amazed it survived. If I can find a link to the Arthurson interview I will post it.
I like the comment about the Dolphins making a red hot start, slowly but surely they are coming back to reality.

Trifili13

Juniors
Promotion and relegation I don't think works in Australia due to distance of travel and cost involved unlike say European football leagues. I can see the 2nd division quickly turning into the NSW cup (or whatever they call it now days) with a lack of tv coverage and poor crowds and whatever initial interest there is quickly falling away. Imagine the poor crowds following a team at the bottom end of Div 2.

You cant bring in any new teams until the nrl has a current competetive comp.
The Dragons Bulldogs and Tigers are shit and you want to spread the talent more.
Valandi needs to get the NRL in and investigate the boards of these clubs sack them.
Our club has survived because it is viewed as Illawarra

Wests Tigers should become Macarthur Wests.

Bulldogs must become Liverpool Bulldogs.

By identifying with specific geographical areas the teams should draw additional local support.

Can’t see the need for another Brisbane or NZ team.

Nor North Sydney Bears.

Central Coast Bears yes
Adelaide yes
Perth yes
Pacifica yes