What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary Confirmed As New Panthers Coach

Fibroman

First Grade
I would love Sheens at Penrith. He is the greatest coach we have ever had yes better than Gould. When he originally took over Penrith we were on the verge of folding yet got us to the Semi finals 2 years later. He unearthed some of the best players we have ever had Geyer,Alexander,Cartwright,Van Der Voort,Carter he also signed Fittler when he was a schoolboy.

He also brought through Carroll and Butterfield but the club got rid of them.

People say his win record is ordinary but he has only really been bad at the cowboys when they were a brand new side.

He used to go to every schoolboy game and loads of junior club games when he was Penrith coach. Guy has a fantastic record in bringing in quality juniors and would really help the club in this way.

We would also be good to watch which we haven't been since 2004. I think Sheens would do a fantastic job at the club he is someone we should never of lost to be honest.

I tend to agree.

Panfas

Juniors
Tim Sheens coaching record:

Years........Team......................Gms.....W......D......L......W%
1984–87....Penrith Panthers........98......43......4......51......43.87%
1988–96....Canberra Raiders.......219.....148.....3......68......67.57%
1997–01....Nth. Qld. Cowboys....105......28......4......73......26.66%
2003–.......Wests Tigers............172.....79......0......93......45.93%
................Total......................594.....298....11.....285.....50.01%

age.s

First Grade
Take out the Cowboys (startup club, terrible roster etc..) and it becomes..

Played: 489
Won: 270
Drawn: 7
Lost: 212
Win%: 55.2

Of course, take out the start studded Raiders and it goes to something in the mid 40s :p

anjado

Juniors
Or you could just say.

Penrith were the worst club in the NSWRL before he took over and were a laughing stock before he laid the foundations for Penrith's best ever run and eventual premiership win.

Canberra really haven't come close to winning a Premiership since he left star studded or not.

Cowboys was a failure.

Wests Tigers too them to a premiership when neither team had won one since 1969. By far and away the most entertaining team in the competition and have been consistently so since 2005. Could of easily won the Premiership last season if it wasn't for some absolutely awful referring.

Sheens is one of the top 10 coaches of all time. He is Brian Smith but with 4 premierships to his name.

Fibroman

First Grade
Stats don't always tell the full story.

Elliott had a reasonable record at Canberra with a lesser stock of players and has done virtually nothing at Penrith with some quality players.

I'm tipping Sheens is a better judge of a players potential and wouldn't persist with the likes of Purts, and might recruit a bit better than we have over the past 5 years under the watch of minibus.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I'm impressed we've even gone after him to be hones when everyone else seemed to think it was a forgone conclusion he woulda stay with the tigers.

Not sure his the man for the job but would still be an improvement over Elliott and at the very least you would think we would play a more entertaining brand of football under his leadership.

Fibroman

First Grade
I have a feeling that Leary and co. liked minibus Elliott because he probably just did as he was told and didn't make waves with the media.

If we are going to pay Sheens 500k a season, you would like to think that he is given a bit of latitude to recruit the players he wants and get rid of the deadwood or at least have a say in how much money some players are worth or should be getting paid.

innsaneink

Referee
Stats don't always tell the full story.

Elliott had a reasonable record at Canberra with a lesser stock of players and has done virtually nothing at Penrith with some quality players.

I'm tipping Sheens is a better judge of a players potential and wouldn't persist with the likes of Purts, and might recruit a bit better than we have over the past 5 years under the watch of minibus.
Does Purts train very well?
Does he get to the try scorer first to congratulate on a regular basis?

Sheens is very stubborn at times to his clubs/teams detriment:
Daniel Fitzenry
John Morris
Beau Ryan

Fibroman

First Grade
Purts is a nice bloke and so is Matty Minibus, but being nice doesn't win your fans a competition.

TeamSatan

Juniors
How come nobody has mentioned Royce........remember when we could attack but not tackle...maybe he has learned to coach defence now.

brooksy19

Bench
How come nobody has mentioned Royce........remember when we could attack but not tackle...maybe he has learned to coach defence now.

:lol:

Yeah, sign up Royce. He is a defensive Guru these days, make sure you purchase some witches hats and a flying fox whilst your at it.

Latest posts