What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary

Emu01

Juniors
I can't believe Mary stays on as assistant coach, that's a joke surely!

I got a feeling Mary took on the head coaching job on the condition he stays on with the club after his head coaching role finishes..

He was reluctant to take the job cos he new it would end in tears 2 years down the track..Self interest Mary put himself before the club..

St Georgio

Juniors
I have been extremely active in having a change in our coach, but I will not completely rubbish or throw a former Saint under a bus, these players were taught to believe in playing as a team, Mary played at origin level, he will assist Ivan Cleary as best as he can

wayne57

Juniors
The only reason I could see is to why Mary would be kept on as assistant coach is he still has a year left on his contract and he has cut some sort of deal.

The reason he would do this is to save face, as we all know he won't admit that any part of our dismal display this year has anything to do with his coaching.

He will put some sort of spin on it to why his stepping down to assistant coach role, such personal reasons or something to that effect.

I just hope the mail is true, Cleary would not be my first choice but he would be a big improvement on Mary.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Would you people like ahead of Cleary based on who's out there right now? Toovey? Walters?

I wish I knew more about Cleary as a coach, but he seems like a huge improvement over Mary.

St Georgio

Juniors
Forget Toovey never to coach St George, he was part of the the team that beat us in 1996 GF, f**k off to Toovey end of Story!

Mr Red

First Grade
if Mary accepts demotion to assistant, what of the current assistants, I'm sure they won't willingly accept a demotion will they?

thebigredv

First Grade
please please please...

I am sure Ivan will lure quality and will offer more in attack than what is currently happening. Down the line you will hope this means his son might follow him over and then we may have something to get excited about.

Probably just another rumour but I really hope there's something to it.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Hope it comes off as Cleary is a quality coach and will come in fresh after a couple of seasons off.He has had a handy record with the Warriors and then in a restructure at the Panthers.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I like the move if true, but sadly don't expect Nathan to join us. Obviously we've seen the 2nd year syndrome end careers, but he looks a natural footy player who has so much maturity for an 18 year old. Oh yeah, he has a lot of skill as well.

Dragonscales

Juniors
Ffs.

Mary will be given the assistant role because he is under contract for next year and that we cannot afford to pay out his contract if we fire him.

wayne57

Juniors
Ivan Cleary
Club Career
Team Years Matches W L D Win %
Australian League Matches

Warriors 2006-11 154 77 74 3 50.0%
Penrith 2012-15 98 44 54 0 44.9%
Overall 2006-15 252 121 128 3 48.0%
All Australian Club Matches
Warriors 2006-11 164 81 80 3 49.4%
Penrith 2012-15 100 45 55 0 45.0%
Overall 2006-15 264 126 135 3 47.7%

coaching stats are not that impressive, we would not make the finals with these stats, but at the same time what was his rosters like at the time ? back then (anyone)
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/ivan-cleary/summary.html

Last edited:

Dragons 09

Juniors
Cleary wouldn't have been my first choice, but if this eventuates into reality it will undoubtedly be an improvement. When i heard that Mary was given the gig of caretaker coach following the sacking of Price, i started banging my head on the wall and have been doing so ever since as i knew we would end up exactly where we are today. I won't get my hopes up as we have developed a habit of being linked to anyone and everyone and ending up with no one, so at best i will remain cautiously optimistic. As slim as a chance that this may be, it still gives me a little woody just thinking about it.:p

If it turns out to be true, Mary cannot be allowed to stay on in any role except as a cellar man at the Steelers Club. He had his chance and was exposed for the impostor that hes is and he must be f**kced off and never allowed anywhere near the team again. And if Sean O'Conner doesn't like that, he can f**kc off as well.

I like the fact Mary will remain assistant, it shows that he is a quality person by accepting the role, hê is a better coach than Price was and Price is the assistant at the Sharks. Mary does have a solid D background.

Hahaha, is this a joke?

Straight Shooter

Latest posts